My 16mnth Old is on a Nursing Strike - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-28-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have never experienced this before. Two days ago she just stopped nursing, turns her head in disgust almost. 

One of three things may have led to it;

1. I told her "no biting!". I know I should have tried other tactics. But I had a bad biting problem with the last baby and so this time I unlatched her and said no. (and this wasn't just accidental teething biting, she was laughing and making a game, so cute, but ouch!)

2. That night I also took a peppermint gel pill for an upset stomach.

3. She has a cold, was nursing a lot during the brunt of it, and this strike just happened on the tail end of the cold.

So I don't have a working pump but am hand expressing about 3X a day and this morning I gave her some breastmilk in a cup. She made a "yuck" face and let most of it run down her shirt.

Also we cosleep and I try to get her to nurse when she wakes (like we would normally do) and she again turns her head and wimpers herself to sleep.

What else can I do???! Please help!

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#2 of 4 Old 11-05-2013, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If she is just naturally weaning, why not let her? 16 months is a good long time to BF and if you believe in child led weaning, this seems like a clear signal.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 4 Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yeah, this might be the case. The fact that it happened so abruptly freaked me out. I'm still hand expressing and not getting much at that, but give her the milk and she likes it now. But I don't think she'll ever go back to the breast, I'll keep offering, but I think this may have been her way of weaning. 

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#4 of 4 Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

All my older boys weaned at that age and it was easy peasy. I got a bee in my bonnet to nurse my 4th till two and sure enough at 16 months he did what your daughter is doing. I pushed and encouraged and after a few days he started nursing again. It was great for a while but then he was 2 and I was done and he wasn't! I really regretted not letting him wean naturally when he was ready. It would have been easier on both of us. 

cynthiamoon likes this.

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page