Bloody milk post excisional breast biopsy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. I'm hoping someone out there has some experience with this. Long story short ... A suspicious lump in my breast has to be surgically removed. I had to wean from the affected breast and that all went well and the surgery was done 16 days ago. I waited 2 weeks post surgery to start pumping again as I want to relactate on the affected side (we continued feeding now 5mo from unaffected side throughout). There is only very little milk coming out of the affected breast which is fine as I realize it will take some time to re-establish the supply but the milk has blood in it. I understand this is normal given the surgery performed but I just wonder how long it is likely to persist before clearing up as the expressed stocks in the freezer are running low now which we've been using for top ups to maintain weight gain. I'm loath not offer him the affected breast given the milk is very pink (sorry for the graphic but think thousand island dressing color!)
Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, experiences please???

PS The lump was benign!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-13-2013, 08:17 AM

I'm so glad the lump was benign! :joy *WHEW*

I've worked with women who have had both incision biopsies and fine needle aspirations while lactating. While weaning isn't necessary, it makes less of a "mess" in the OR or Doctor's Office for incision biopsies, that's all. However, where you are at, it it quite normal to see some blood in the milk.

I've worked with many women who have simply nursed on the breast, as the small amount of blood won't hurt the baby.  Getting the baby back on the breast is a good idea asap, as you know the baby is a better way to increase your supply than even the best pump. Also, in many cases, pumps are more likely to cause bleeding after surgery than actual breastfeeding. You may find you don't bleed as much as you do with the pumping with the baby on the breast BUT, I would continue the pumping as you resume breastfeeding to help your supply come back.

IF you do see blood in the baby's spit up please please don't panic. You know where the blood is coming from and it is not harmful.

I WISH I had seen this thread sooner. I'm sorry, I don't always get here every day.

Good luck with your recovery and I'm SO glad your lump was benign!

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#3 of 4 Old 11-13-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your response MaggieLC. The milk is a much better color now, just a very pale brown color. I did try getting him back on but with the swelling (incision was made around the areola) he can't seem to attach well yet and it caused me enormous pain so I went back to just pumping. The supply is very slowly coming back on that side and the swelling gradually subsiding so I might try him on it again in another day or 2. Thanks again for your response and advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my concerns.
#4 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 04:29 AM

The brown blood is a good sign. It's old blood that will eventually be absorbed by your body.

If you have pain take it slowly some ibuprofen helps a lot of women with this type of pain. Some take 600 mgs (3 OTC tabs) every 6 hours with food or 400 mgs every 4 hours with food.

I hope you feel better soon. Let me know if you me need anything else.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page