Hand-expressing colostrum during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, all...
I'm currently 32 w pregnant with DC2. I had a c-section after a failed induction with DS1, which resulted in low supply and latching issues...a bad start altogether. Plus, the nurses gave him glucose shortly after delivery while I was in recovery due to low blood sugar (thanks, 16 hours of IV fluids)! It took 7 days for my milk to come in, but even then I never increased my output to more than an ounce per pumping session (by then DS was on formula and had major nipple confusion, wouldn't even latch with a nipple shield, so I was pumping exclusively from the get-go...like I said, bad start).

This time around, I'm planning for a Hypnobabies VBAC. Since there's a (small) chance my TOL could end in a c-section, I'd like to make sure to have a supply of colostrum on hand, just in case.

I've done the research and I'm confident that hand-expression of colostrum during pregnancy will not cause me to go into preterm labor...after all, plenty of tandem nursing moms have full term babies. Plus, nipple stimulation is only effective for labor induction when the body is ready to start laboring.

Anyway, if you have experience with pre-natal hand expression, can you give me an idea of what I can expect as far as output is concerned? I haven't been leaking at all, which i know is normal. I tried to express some colostrum out of curiosity today, and only my right nipple responded...and only with a tiny, barely noticeable drop of moisture. I doubt I would have been able to collect it, had I a syringe ready.
Is there anything I can do to help my breasts be more willing to give up the liquid gold?

Mom to Henry, born 10/2011 and The Newbie, due 2/2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I did 1 to 2 sessions after 34 weeks.

I would get half a millilitre per session. I would collect the with a seringe and needle (be carefull to not touch your skin with the needle). I stored it in 3 cc seringes in the freezer.

I had maybe 4 in total at birth. (so like 10 ml)

it was very useful, since my baby (born at home) was very sick and stayed 3 weeks in NICU and was at the breast the first time at age 10 days. He had that colostrum the first 24hrs, since I couldn't extract anything the first 2 days. 

Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your response, lillitchka! When you started to express, were you immediately able to express the colostrum or did it take a few sessions to get droplets? I tried yesterday after a shower for about 5 minutes per breast and got nothing. Does this mean I won't be able to express colostrum until after the baby is born?

Mom to Henry, born 10/2011 and The Newbie, due 2/2014!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

i think you will get more later in pregnancy.

my situation is different, because I was breastfeeding DS1 until 32 weeks of this pregnancy.

still, i would get 4 or 5 drops per session!

User Tag List