Baby pops on and off breast and rarely has long session - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-13-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello there! My 8wo baby has rather odd nursing habits. At his six week appointment he was gaining well, but I still am wondering if this is normal. He very rarely has a long nursing session, but instead nurses for about a minute then wants his pacifier to go to sleep. I try to push for him to stay on the breast but he just gets really frustrated. About once every three or four hours he'll stay on until the breast is empty, but for the most part he only takes short snacks about once an hour. He usually nurses until my letdown and then gets fussy and stops. I practice block feeding to make sure he gets hind milk.

I know my forceful let down is probably part of the issue. But does anyone else have a baby that does this? I get nervous he's not getting enough. He's my second and seems like DS1 was on the boob all the time...

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#2 of 4 Old 12-13-2013, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

At night he doesn't nurse every hour and probably has one or two long sessions.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 4 Old 12-15-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Bump?

joy.gif

#4 of 4 Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i was going to say it sounds like a big or forcefull let down.  If hes gaining....acting happy and content - and you are busy changing diapers - all is well.  Also - he is only 8 weeks ....give it another month or so (with the block feeding) and you may see your supply calm down a little bit and his meals become more regular - 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page