I used to like breast feeding :-( - Mothering Forums

I used to like breast feeding :-(

farmermomma's Avatar farmermomma (TS)
10:19 AM Liked: 3457
#1 of 9
12-22-2013 | Posts: 939
Even beyond the pain of the recent biting (see vampire baby) of one breast I still don't like breast feeding any more. I used to. He's 7 months. We had trouble in the beginning but things were good for several months until the bite. I'm mostly over that but I don't like breast feeding any more. I feel guilty about it. I know I could stop but I'd really rather like it again. I just hate what goes through my head while breast feeding. Can anyone relate? PS I also find pumping a major Pita.
Viola's Avatar Viola
10:45 PM Liked: 10045
#2 of 9
12-22-2013 | Posts: 22,549

I think most breastfeeding mothers can probably relate to the feeling of not liking breastfeeding after a certain point in time.  I do feel like many of us develop an aversion to it after awhile which is biologically normal, and that we keep doing it because it's easier than the alternative.  But I think these feelings are what shapes the weaning process in addition to introducing other foods.

Seven months does seem kind of early for it to start, unless perhaps you are pregnant...I have heard that that can contribute.  There is a feeling I've heard other women talk about, that I kind of experienced myself while nursing a toddler, and that was just this feeling of wanting to crawl out of your skin, kind of a restlessness, and it being something you really don't want to do. Generally what helped with that was distracting my brain with things like reading a book or watching tv, and sometimes physical stimulus on another body part, like pinching or scratching my forearm to get a different set of nerves firing.

I have also heard some women phrase it at around 4 months, they really wanted their bodies back, and my sister expressed horror of nursing a baby that was 6 months old, because that seemed strange to her.  But I don't know if these are specifically related, I think they are probably something different, maybe a combination of social conditioning and just wanting to move in a different direction.

I agree the pumping at this point would make things harder.  I don't remember really loving breastfeeding until my first child was older.  By 9 months, things were going well, and by a year it really felt like smooth sailing, and I couldn't imagine trying to wean.  But by that age, I didn't pump at all, I mostly did that in the early days to build supply and if I had to leave.

Best wishes to you!

07:53 PM Liked: 3457
#3 of 9
12-23-2013 | Posts: 939
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Definitely not pregnant here. Haven't DTD since long before the birth. Lack of desire is my BC. I will try the pinching thing. I feel like I can no longer read etc because I have to be ready to pop him off of me if he pinches or bites. This isn't helping. This used to be my reading time with my big boy. It is helping to bf more often so he isn't eating with as much enthusiasm.
Sheepdoc's Avatar Sheepdoc
08:22 PM Liked: 7419
#4 of 9
12-23-2013 | Posts: 93
Certain milestones are rougher. 6 months, 12 months and 18 months tend to be big milestones developmentally and you'll see weaning cluster around those times.
One thing I do is count down from 10. It's good for them to learn nursing is a privilege that can be lost temporarily if they hurt/annoy mommy. My 28 month old has a tendency to nurse out of boredom and I find he'll play with my nipples rather than nurse, he bit when he was younger. I do hate nursing when we're having one of those days/weeks but its temporary.
Another thought is it sounds like maybe you're a bit burnt out/overwhelmed in general. Maybe you can find some time for yourself to have a few hours off from mommying?
10:14 PM Liked: 3457
#5 of 9
12-23-2013 | Posts: 939
Who me? Burnt out and overwhelmed? Nah couldn't be. Was it the lack of DTD or the lack of desire that gave it away? Or the biting babe and needy boy and boyfriend that is still living the bachelor life-well bachelor life minus the sex. Anyway yes you found me out. And will Christmas ever end?
Viola's Avatar Viola
12:19 AM Liked: 10045
#6 of 9
12-24-2013 | Posts: 22,549

Ah, Christmas will be over soon!  Hang in there! :Hug

04:30 PM Liked: 3457
#7 of 9
12-26-2013 | Posts: 939
Update: boobs much better ;-), breast feeding relationship much better ;-), boyfriend about the same:-/. At least Xmas is over! Today is my birthday. DS1 is sick so lunch out today postponed so we get to play with toys!
Nazsmum's Avatar Nazsmum
04:55 PM Liked: 4189
#8 of 9
12-26-2013 | Posts: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMomma View Post

Update: boobs much better ;-), breast feeding relationship much better ;-), boyfriend about the same:-/. At least Xmas is over! Today is my birthday. DS1 is sick so lunch out today postponed so we get to play with toys!

:joyHappy B-day

05:00 PM Liked: 3457
#9 of 9
12-26-2013 | Posts: 939
Thanks!
Reply Subscribe Breastfeeding Challenges