"Wobbly" nipples and self-weaning 3.5 yo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-25-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3.5 yo daughter is moving towards self-weaning, and currently nurses once a day.

She has lately been nursing only about 10 seconds and then saying she's done. This morning she told me her milkies were "wobbly," and that's why she was done.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Do you think she's just losing her latch as she ages out of nursing, or any ideas on what she means? I'm curious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-28-2013, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Anyone have any advice?
#3 of 7 Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Tracyamber!

Maybe my daughter's unique on this one, but guessing not.smile.gif It seems like Mothering is one of the best places to ask random questions about older nurslings.
#4 of 7 Old 12-29-2013, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Yeah, it sounds to me like she's losing her latch.  My ds2 nursed for 60mos and in the last year or two his nursing session were extremely brief, and thankfully so because it was like he'd forgotten how to latch on.

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 7 Old 12-29-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

Yeah, it sounds to me like she's losing her latch.  My ds2 nursed for 60mos and in the last year or two his nursing session were extremely brief, and thankfully so because it was like he'd forgotten how to latch on.

Thanks so much for the reply! That makes sense to me that despite losing her latch, my DD could also still be quite a ways - in your case a year or two - before total weaning.

Was weaning super gradual for your DS when it happened, or somewhat sudden?
#6 of 7 Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Hmmm, that's a hard question to answer because it was such a loooong process.  Somewhere after his 4th bday we agreed that the last time he would nurse would be the day of his 5th bday.  At that point he was going days and days without nursing.  Maybe even a full week or so here and there.  Once or twice he had even spent an overnight with his dad (no overnights until the daily nursing phase was over).  Shortly after ds turned 5, we had a good laugh bc we both realized we had forgotten to have one last nursing.  We went ahead and gave it a try and we both realized it totally sucked (pun not intended) and so that was that.

Some would say he was weaned around 3.5, which is when he really slacked off.  Some would say he wasn't weaned until after his last nursing a few days after his 5th bday.  For simplicity, I say he nursed for 5 yrs (if I'm not in the mood to shock the person, I just say he nursed for a couple of years.  Usually, I go for the shock  heehee). Occasionally, if the convo warrants it, I may explain a bit more, like if someone who doesn't know our history makes an uninformed comment about how gross it is to nurse a kindergartener all day long I may speak up and say that just bc you are nursing a 4 or 5yo, it doesn't mean you do it all day long, or even every day.  FWIW, my ds was done nursing 3 mos before starting school, but if he needed to, I would gladly have nursed a kindergartener!

Bring back the old MDC
#7 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

that's really helpful - thanks again!

from reading your response and from guessing, i think my daughter will/would go longer than age 5 if i had to guess.  she's 3.5 yo now, and i can only count a small handful of times she has voluntarily missed her once a day nursing session.

i am actually thinking i may mama-led wean her if she isn't done or mostly done by age 5, not because of the stigma of nursing a kindergartener, but due to some schedule-related/logistical issues.

but we shall see!  luckily i have 1.5 years between now and then, so fingers crossed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page