Frustrated with supply - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-29-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my baby just turned 4 months old and at 3 months I had the worst doctors visit ever by experiencing the doctor recommend supplementing with formula because my baby was in the 6th percentile for weight. He gained a good pound and a half in a month but the doctor said he was concerned. I felt so low and miserable and worthless since my baby had been exclusively breastfed for the first 3 months of life and I desperately wanted to be exclusive with breastfeeding for at least 6 months of age. I gave it some serious thought and of course his weight and gaining at a healthy level I thought was most important. If the doctor was concerned I trusted his opinion . So I made the decision to add in some formula for my son and realized as he took to the bottle that I wasn't sure I was satisfying him by myself. I was pumping anywhere between 3 and 4 ounces and he was eating about 4 to 6 ounces of formula. He's gained weight more steady doing both but now that he eats formula also I have noticed my supply steadily decrease. I'm doing my best to boost it but adding pumping sessions, using fenugreek and drinking mothers milk tea. Anyone else out here supplement with formula and have this same problem? How did you guys increase milk supply? I would seriously like to increase my supply to were I only have to use formula maybe once a day. I feel so let down and frustrtated at my body sometimes and just wish I produced more than I am.
#2 of 5 Old 12-30-2013, 01:44 AM

How is your own intake of water and food?

Wife, mom of 3, obsessed with photography, crafting and blogging http://annleaartsy.blogspot.com/
#3 of 5 Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

I get lots of water, food on the other hand I'm sure I can intake more calories. I have been trying to lose the baby weight as well
#4 of 5 Old 12-31-2013, 03:56 PM

I would breastfeed first for every feed.  Only after offer formula.  Supply is directly related to demand, so the more often your baby suckles, the more your breasts will know to make.  Pumping does not stimulate your breasts the same amount as actual suckling.  Also, the amount of milk you pump out is not the amount that your baby is getting in a feed.  Suckling is much better at getting milk out.  

Good luck!

#5 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM

How much formula or expressed BM a baby gets from a bottle is very often more than they take from the breast at any one feeding. Bottles are just faster flow, so they stuff themselves before they realize they are full and stop. That doesn't mean he needs that mj more formula. Try switching to slow flow bottles. We use Playtex VentAire with Wide nipple and Slow flow. Got them at target. They are awesome at pacing my daughter and at mimicking the shape of a real nipple.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page