THRUSH, help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-11-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI! I'm new…my name's Maureen and I'm a first time mommy :) my daughter is now 5 months, and we have had thrush since she was about a month old. Ahh someone save me! I've tried it all. First, her tongue was white, so I took her to the pediatrician (I want to say this was when she was about 3 or 4 weeks old). The pediatrician prescribed nystatin, and told me to call my doctor to treat myself also. I had my OBGYN prescribe me nystatin cream for my nipples and 1 or 2 weeks worth of Diflucan (I forget exactly). Four times a day, I swabbed my daughter's mouth with nystatin as I treated myself 4 times a day also. It seemed to go away, but I was told to continue to treat us both until it was gone for TWO DAYS. The next time we got it (probably just a short week or two later…) another pediatrician told me I had to treat both of us until it was gone for at least A WEEK. I was so frustrated because each pediatrician told me something different. At this point I was reading forums online that said vinegar killed yeast. I was using vinegar to clean my nipples and I washed everything that had milk on it in vinegar. I did SO MUCH laundry trying to kill all the yeast. I also disinfected binky's, bottles, anything that went in her mouth daily. Then, as I became very discouraged with breastfeeding, I saw a La Leche League leader in my area, who was a retired pediatrician, with plenty of wisdom. I was so excited because she was so wise and seemed to know exactly what to do! She prescribed me nystatin ointment with two other topical ointments. I was to mix the three ointments and apply after each feeding. She prescribed my daughter Diflucan. Well, I thought that worked too…..but here we are with thrush still. I went back to my regular pediatrician again and they just prescribed nystatin again. I'm done with NYSTATIN! Also, they told me to try Gentian Violet. That did not work either. I did that 4 times (and it is scary stuff). NOW….we both have it worse than we ever did. She has a white mouth, the diaper rash, and I have painful nipples that are peeling and scabbing (like when I first started nursing) and I also feel like I have a vaginal yeast infection too. A couple weeks ago I tried a no carb-no sugar diet…basically only ate veggies and rice cakes. I lost so much weight and it was SO hard to eat just veggies while nursing. I get SO HUNGRY!! I did that diet for only a week, then slowly added sugars. I am realizing that I DO need to change my eating habits (less sugar) to balance out my system. It's all my fault! I am desperate for some other natural remedies. I am using coconut oil right now on my nipples, in my daughters mouth, and ingesting spoonfuls (because I heard it's an anti fungal). ALSO, I tried swabbing greek plain yogurt into my daughter's mouth and it worked at first but then wasn't doing anything. HELP!! & thank you for reading all of that :) :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-11-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Ah! I forgot to add…I have new probiotics coming in the mail for both me and baby! I ordered Bio-Kult Candea for myself…and Flora for baby.

#3 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 AM

I am in the same boat! I did exactly the same thing as you did. But the thrush never went away. How your baby thrush now after the probiotics?

#4 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 PM

My toddler and I dealt with thrush around your LOs age and what worked for us was a combination of Dr. Jay Gordon's protocol and Dr. Jack Newman's approach (I never used gentian violet or APNO, though), together with GF DF Culturelle, digestive enzymes (I used Enzymedica's Digest Gold), and no sugar. Lots of protein and good fats.

http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-CP

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#5 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 02:47 PM

Thank you for your advice! It is so weird, the thrush it is a creamy orange patch with some black dots :( hopefully they didn't overgrowth too much

#6 of 7 Old 01-19-2014, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

what is GF DF Culturelle? a type of probiotic? Did you use GSE? Did that work for you?

thank you for these websites! lots of information

#7 of 7 Old 01-25-2014, 07:51 AM

Any tongue-tie in the picture?  It can be implicated in recurrent thrush.

There is also a school of thought that says thrush which doesn't respond to treatment isn't thrush.  Have you been swabbed for a bacterial infection?  It could be concurrent with thrush.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page