pumping and newborns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-22-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm curious... my dr recommends not pumping at first. I think she said 3 weeks??? Do you guys find this to be true? I had a lot of milk come in when I had my daughter and I didn't bring my pump to the hospital and they ended up bringing me one to use, but I had a lot of milk that just dripped out and onto the bath towel. I felt bad knowing how much was wasted since I didn't pump right away and it was probably the new"good" milk. I overproduced as far as milk goes for the first 6 months, always had plenty to nurse and pump (but I was a stay at home mom, so I didn't NEED to pump...but my body needed it since I was producing so much) The dr mentioned since I pumped so early that is probably what triggered my body?????? Does any of this make sense? Should I avoid pumping at first?

#2 of 3 Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Yes. It is generally recommended to wait at least a month or so before you begin pumping because it can create an oversupply. When you pump it signals your body to make more milk because it thinks it has a baby to feed. When you pump because you have a lot of milk you just make more milk. This can then lead to a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and that causes problems. If you want to save the milk you are leaking you can use these things called Milkies that collect milk that leaks so you can save it for later. Eventually your body will adjust and make just enough milk for baby's needs. I don't have personal experience, but I'm sure some other moms can share.
http://www.mymilkies.com/

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 3 Old 01-23-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks! Wish I had known this info before. I was mad that I sat there alone in the hospital(husband was at home, throwing up) leaking into the bathroom towel... thinking my milk was being wasted. Ugh! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page