Low supply - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello
I have a 3 almost 4 month old and pump exclusively. I have been in and out of the hospital most of the time he has been born and have had to pump and dump so much. This last time I barely got to pump but maybe twice a day and my milk supply is practically gone. Is there anyway to bring it back? I feel like its almost dried up greensad.gif he has had more formula lately than milk. Should I just stop pumping or try and get it back if possible? Thank you!
pokeyac likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hello tcurran09. Welcome to Mothering! I think it may be possible to get your supply back up. Did they provide you with a hospital grade pump while you were in the hospital? Do you have one at home? Insurance often covers a pump if you are having issues. Only pumping twice a day would definitely hurt your supply, but if you established a supply in the first month, you should be able to get some of it back. I would suggest seeing an IBCLC right away to help you with a strategy. The more you pump, the more milk you should make. Pumping at the same time each day should tell your body when it needs to make milk. I also suggest checking out the Kellymom website. They have great info on increasing supply and breastfeeding in general. You should also check out LactMed for info on what drugs can be used during breastfeeding. You may not have to dump as much as you thought. I hope you are feeling better and back to enjoying your baby!
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 3 Old 01-27-2014, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Put baby to breast as often as possible, several times an hour is not too much. Actually that is the norm for the human species. Even if you can only put baby to breast a few times per day but then cosleep at night, that should help.. Your prolactin hormone levels peak between
1-5 am, so babies feed frequently in those early morning hours, as milk production is most abundant. That is a very important time though. It is irrelevant now, but to show how important it is, nursing between those hours often impacts when a woman will become fertile again.
Regarding nursing during the day, wearing baby in a wrap, carrier or sling, thus in close proximity to the breast, will encourage latching on and milk intake. The more milk baby takes in, the more your body will produce.
Katy2555 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page