Fatty milk and clogged ducts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have very fatty milk (cottage cheese looking sometimes) and notice this one spot gets clogged frequently like every month or so. This nursling is ten months old. We do change positions , I sleep without a bra, don't sleep on that side or on belly just not sure what else to do to prevent this from occurring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-12-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Take Lechitin! It helps break up fats. It's a soy product. Can be found at most health food stores.
#3 of 8 Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine73 View Post

Take Lechitin! It helps break up fats. It's a soy product. Can be found at most health food stores.

Well that sounds simple enough. I wish one of the three times I went to the doctors they would have mentioned that.

Ok so a few questions will taking the Lechitin change the taste or anything for baby? Don't want him to start refusing to nurse. And does any one know if making the milk less fatty will change the supply? Like because it would go from thick to thin? Does that make sense?
#4 of 8 Old 04-12-2014, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My understanding is that lecithin doesn't reduce the fat, only keeps it mixed in better to avoid clumps/clogs. Here is what kellymom has to say on the subject:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin/

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#5 of 8 Old 04-12-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Ah. Lol cause I would hate to go from heavy cream to skim;)
#6 of 8 Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM

First of all HUG! Yes, I have very fatty milk too and a big baby who is thriving on it. From 2 months to 10 months I had clogged ducts about every 7 days. Usually I'd get 1-3 on one side for 24 hours and then a few days I get a few more on the other side. I still, at 13 months, get a them once a month but with my little guy moving along with eating solids I think my milk is finally less thick.

With my clogged ducts I get blebs or milk blisters. Despite reading that this is risky for infection I rarely have been able to break the blebs just by nursing and have to break them with sterile tweezers in order for the milk to clear. I've become really fast that this. I travel with sharp tweezers, a good battery operated pump, and the booby tubes from Earth Mama Angel Baby. And the other thing I do is make a mug of salt water for a tear soak to speed up the clearing of the ducts. 

First I dropped about a grand on health care consultations. I went to see a Naturopath who specializes in birth and lactation. She gave me a list of things to try. I also had a lactation consultant come to my home to assess my nursing and health and see what we could come up with. The following is all the things I tried.

I've taken huge doses of lecithin. I think this is helpful for mamas who get clogged ducts once in a while and don't have to take buckets of this for 2+ years. It made very little difference for me and was not great for my health to take on an ongoing basis.

I drank buckets of water. And then peed a lot. And still got more clogged ducts.

I avoided all mucus producing foods (dairy, bananas, citrus fruits etc) and no dice

I took a few different homeopathic remedies. Not sure if this was helpful.

I did all kinds of different nursing positions, got rid of any of my tighter bras or went braless whenever possible. I think this might have helped but I still got them.

I massaged. And massaged.... and massaged. I'd like to say this way helpful. Not sure.

I avoided getting cold and wore my hot compresses in my bra for winter walks. I think that might have helped but I still got them.

At this point it's just been part of my routine to deal with them. I lost the energy to keep trying to track down solutions. Part of the problem is that I've never read about anyone who has had as many as I have and kept nursing. None of my practitioners have ever had a case like me. So here I am, hanging in here. Still nursing because it matters and I feel like this too shall pass. I just have fatty milk and some physiological issue getting that milk to exit the nipples. 

#7 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Typebug how have you kept your head up?! I am so frustrated this is the second time I get clogged in a week.
#8 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylab View Post

Typebug how have you kept your head up?! I am so frustrated this is the second time I get clogged in a week.

It's really tough at the beginning until you figure out what the quickest way is to un-clog and move forward. Try everything! Make sure you get rest when you have them, they go away a lot faster if you unburden your day and focus on the task at hand. Over time I learned to handle the pain and enjoy the days when it isn't there. [sigh] Yeah. It's not an easy slog. Get some help from your practitioners. I never got around to trying acupuncture but it's been on my list. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page