Bromocriptine help please any mother who have used this! please no judging me :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-04-2014, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Bromocriptine help please any mother who have used this! please no judging me :(

I wont bother with the whole year of my painful breastfeeding journey. i nursed for almost a full year just weeks shy, but am on pain medication that is not ok for my son because of the pain in my breasts. Please do not judge me or try to tell me to push through if you would like to know just how hard on me and my family and painful for me and my son this last year has been message me and I can share in detail. Just know after exhausting every single option with multiple doctors and IBCLCs we have all come to the decision that i need to take bromocriptine to dry my milk supply up.
since it is not something that is recommended anymore i am hoping to get advice from any one who has used bromocriptine, my doctor was not 100% sure on how long or the exact dosage and for how long as everything we could find said this is no longer recommended... but after a year of trying to lower and stop my milk supply, tons of antibiotics and antifungals, diet changes... this is needed. she has me taking 1 2.5mg pill a day until i am no longer producing. her hope is that i wont need to do this for a month and that i should see results in a few days but she did give me a month supply and wants to see me again in 3 weeks to see how my symptoms are if i still have pain or if the milk drying up has stopped the other problems. if not she will get me further testing.

what were your experiences with this medication for drying up breast milk? how long did you take it and how long before seeing results? how much were you taking to stop lactation?
please any help is appreciated

know this is not what i want i wish i could still be happily nursing my beautiful son but i have not been able to hold my children without wincing in pain and my entire life is being destroyed by the pain i am in. so please again if you are just going to judge me and tell me about natural ways or try to convince me how i shouldn't stop i'm not looking for that.

thank you
#2 of 5 Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bumping... hoping someone has used this or knows of another mom who has used this medication successfully to dry up milk
#3 of 5 Old 07-22-2014, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i am so sorry your are dealing with this problem the only thing i can say is try to take the pill and see if it could help plus do not express any of your milk out cause it would cause your body to keep making more and for the pain i would try some cold cabbage leafs on it to help with the pain and make sure you dont take any thing with prolactin in it cause it can boost your milk supply i hope my info helps you some

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
#4 of 5 Old 07-22-2014, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I agree with unuselyriver. I have no advice or experience with that medication. Personally I'd take the medication like the doctor suggested and also use any and all natural remedies I could to help the drying up process hoping it would ease the pain. I would also suggest avoiding any milk enhancing efforts that we usually use to increase milk supply - so no mother's milk tea, fenugreek, oatmeal, etc. I did some quick reading to try to help you find info on dosing and everything I see says start with the one 2.5mg pill. It also gives that as the dosage for children down to 11 years old. Given that information I would think this should be a perfectly safe dose for you. Let us know how you are doing and if you need anymore help thinking of ways to reduce the milk supply and solve this quicker for you. I'd also ask the doctor about using pain medication or something like Aleve to help with inflammation and pain while this gets sorted out if you feel it'd make you more comfortable. Good luck!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#5 of 5 Old 07-22-2014, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm so sorry to read about your pain both emotional & physical. I'm working on partial weaning of a child that I don't want to either so I understand, if only just a bit.

If you haven't already, perhaps contact an LLL Leader. She may know of a mother or mothers who've had to wean rather quickly & unexpectedly who've taken this medication.

(((hugs))) to you, your son & your family as you navigate this difficult journey. Your son is lucky to have you!

Best wishes,
Sus

ETA: PM me if you need help finding one.

Tags
Breastfeeding Challenges , bromocriptine , drying up milk supply , lactation suppression , parlodel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page