Lact-Aid vs SNS vs Hazelbaker vs other & a plethora of other questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-16-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lact-Aid vs SNS vs Hazelbaker vs other & a plethora of other questions

As with many on this board the hardest part about having a newborn has been not having enough milk. I had a significant amount of blood loss with the delivery and so everyone kept telling me that my milk would come in but later. We pumped and nursed around the clock. In addition to my low supply my son doesn't transfer milk very well. After countless visits and conversations with lactation they told me there wasn't much else to offer. We started using a hazelbaker for at the breast supplementation and then finger feeds as well. We are now 1 month into this journey and I realize that the chances of my milk increasing sufficiently and my son feeding efficiently are dwindling. As hard as it is we realize I have to either give up breast feeding or make an at the breast supplementer and accepted part of our life. So after the short version of the long story my question is what and why is your prefered method of at the breast supplementtion.

We have been using a hazelbaker at the breast for a month now what I don't like about it is:
- difficult to get it into the right spot in his mouth so that it works (I don't use tape, I can't really see how this would help)
- drips everywhere when he unlatches and we are trying to get latched again.
- he takes forever to eat (each feeding is about an hour an a half so then I end up pumping just an hour before the next feed, which means there isn't too much there) this seems like a catch 22 because I recognize if the flow were faster he would get even more flow preference.
- the small volume it holds.

I have read about both the SNS and the Lact-aid just curious if anyone has used both and which they like better. Does any one know how either of these compare to the Hazelbaker?

Other questions-
What position do you use when you are using the supplemental system. We seem to be stuck with the football hold because it is the easiest to try to get the tube and the nipple shield in his mouth as he is furiously hungry.

Can you nurse in public with it? How do you do it?

What is your routine for your feeding?

Have you traveled with it? We have a LONG international travel coming up and I have lots of questions about how to make our new reality work. How do you pump when your on the plane for 30+ hours (each leg is 14)? How do you use the supplemental system on the plane? keeping things cold? ... Maybe a question for another thread.

And finally does anyone have a story of hope that they did start making enough to keep up with their little one after a month of not having enough?
#2 of 3 Old 08-17-2014, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
well i can say i use an sns for about three months till my supply went up i travel with my sns i would just bring extra water to clean it and i would not mix the formula till i was ready to use it and if i was just use the breast milk that i pump i would use the last one i pump cause breast milk stay good for up to 4 hrs at room temp umm i use a Medela breast pump that has a Battery Pack and keep the milk in the cooler that came with it and ask if the flight attendant if she could put it in there freezer if they had one on there plane or there cooler i hope my info helps

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
#3 of 3 Old 08-17-2014, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I've never used the Hazelbaker. Are you inserting the tube before or after the baby latches? If you're doing it before, that may be part of the positioning problem. It's not super easy either way, though.

The Lact-Aid is a bit more like a straw- you have to suck it up. There are still some problems wiht leaking, but it's not as bad There can also be problems with leaks when you're breastfeeding without a supplementer and bottle feeding, nature of the beast.

The Lact-Aid has two size bags: 4 oz and 8 oz. I've seen people say that a BF'd baby should never be given more than 4 oz at a time because that's all they get from the breast, but I don't know if that's true or not. With as long as your baby's feeds are, I'm not sure how much it would help to use the larger bag.

Are you using formula or breastmilk? That makes a big difference, especially for nursing in public. Formula has a much shorter shelf life, it's only good for an hour or two at room temperature while breastmilk is good for a few hours (unless it's really hot). I've seen someone suggest those tops that have a bra-shelf built in, you put the bag in the bra-shelf and then you can NIP without being obvious. If you want, you can also try to get your baby used to a cover- you're call on that, though, especially in the summer. You can place the bag in cold and let your body temperature warm it up. That'll work with either formula or breastmilk but, again, formula has a shorter shelf-life so you'll need to be relatively sure that your baby will want to feed quickly, especially given how long he feeds.

For traveling: Eurgh, that sounds awful. We did a 20 hour stint (8 hours on a plane, long layover, then 1 hour) and it was murder. Again- formula or breastmilk?
Either way- look up the policies. Print them out. You're allowed to bring way more liquid than others, and you can bring it in a cooler. If you're using breastmilk, you'll have to bring as much as you'll need (I advise extra) for the trip. Formula actually may be easier here because you don't need to keep the RTF cool the way you do breastmilk.
Warn them that what's going through the x-ray machine is a breastpump and be prepared for some more extensive screening. Electric pumps look very suspicious with all the wires they have and such.

You can place the used supplementer (and pump) in the cooler until you get off the flight. It's not perfect, but you do *not* want to be washing them in the airplane toilet.

I don't have advice on pumping on an airplane but it can and has been done. Again, look up your airline's policy, print it out, and have it readily available in case a flight attendant wants to give you crap. A nursing cover isn't a bad idea, you can pump under it while in your seat, especially on overnight ones. Are you traveling with a partner or will you be juggling an infant and a pump?

I've heard it gets a LOT easier as the baby gets more body control, especially head, and can position themself more readily. That won't be long now. The first 6 weeks are the worst no matter how you're breastfeeding.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page