Domperidone and possible thrush? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 04-30-2015, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Domperidone and possible thrush?

I'm wondering if you guys would share your experience with thrush/using domperidone to help me navigate what this might be ...

I have tried everything a hundred times over to make more milk. After two months of feeding, pumping after ever feeding and supplementing with donor milk, I ended up starting domperidone almost three weeks ago. (Please withhold any judgement. I have tried EVERYTHING to make more milk with every baby. I have had to use it with previous babies also. I'm someone who doesn't even like to take a Tylenol, so this was not preferable, but a better alternative to formula for a number of reasons -- One of them being that my children do not tolerate dairy well.)

I am taking 50mg total split throughouot the day and am making the perfect amount of milk now. A couple of weeks ago, I started to suspect that maybe I had some thrush. My nipples were sensitive and looking veiny and I was experiencing some mild tingling, pins and needles sensations. The skin on my breasts was also sensitive, although not looking any different. I started using a compounded all-purpose nipple ointment and taking a probiotic in an effort to kill it. My doctor said that Diflucan would not be a good route, given I am on Domperidone. (Both, in rare cases, can caused a prolonged QT heart interval.) She recommends trying to treat it by other means. She would not be comfortable with me using both together and would want me to go off the Dom to take the Diflucan.

The pain is now more of what I would describe as a mild, but dull pain, deep in both breast that comes and goes throughout the day. (Occassionally, I feel some mild stinging inside a breast also.) I will fully admit to you that I am a "Type A" personality. I have had thrush before with another baby and I remember it being more painful -- More of a stabbing pain. I can't help but want to make sure this sounds like thrush, versus heart related symptoms which are a very rare side effect and I have never had them before, but still ... I went to my doctor for a physical and I ran this by her. She told me she has no concerns about me being on Domperidone, as I have no history of heart related issues and I have taken it before with no side effects. She also said the symptoms of a prolonged QT are more like heart palpitations or feeling like your heart is skipping a beat or racing. I have none of those. She said thrush is very difficult to diagnose definitively, but it sounds like it could be that or my breasts adjusting to an increase in volume of milk.

So ...

1.) Is that deep, dull pain a symptom of thrush? It can almost feel a little like mild heartburn. I just don't remember thrush feeling like this before. If so, do you have any other tips for killing it?

2.) Does anyone have any negative experiences with Domperidone related to this? From everything I have read (and I have probably read too much for my own mental health), cardiac symptoms are extremely rare.

3.) Has anyone had Domperidone give them the side effect of gas that could be giving me heartburn? I feel like I have been very "burpy," even though I don't drink anything carbonated and haven't changed my diet.

I'm sure I sound a little paranoid. I am not someone that is used to taking anything in the way of medications, so I just want to bounce this off someone.

Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by Crankerton; 04-30-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
#2 of 4 Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Regarding the Domperidone, the danger of heart related problems were done in the elderly who already had heart issues, and it was an IV form of the drug, not the pills that you are taking. I have been taking Dom 90mg daily for almost 2 years now without issue. According to Health Canada (where I am) they are not concerned with Canadian woman taking Dom for milk production.

I'm sorry I can't offer any assistance in regards to your other issues. I hope you get them sorted out soon.

Also, anyone who judges you for taking a perfectly safe medication in order to feed your baby doesn't have the kind of opinion that matters. I am proud that I've taken Dom in order to establish and keep the wonderful nursing relationship that I have with my almost 2 year old. All I can say is good for you!

One of the greatest threats we face are the masses of normal people conditioned to blindly obey authority.
- Five Steps to Tyranny
#3 of 4 Old 05-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Poor thing! I feel for ya. I don't have any experience with thrush or the medication you are on, but I second mylittletiger's comment of 'good for you' for just trying to do what's best for you and your baby. I would guess your doc or nurse could give you the best idea and suggestions on how to ease the pain if it isn't diagnosed. If you don't mind, I'll pray for ya that the pain subsides and that you find out clear answers soon so you can continue to provide nourishment to your little one. Blessings to your family!

#4 of 4 Old 05-01-2015, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to both of you for your replies! I really appreciate it!

I personally haven't had anyone make any rude comments about me taking Domperidone, but I have been surprised by the comments I've read before to women who do take Domperidone. It obviouosly would not be my first choice to take it, but in this case, this is the only thing that has given me a full supply. I have four children and have had to use it with child #1 , 2 and 4. (I have theories on why I didn't with #3 , but that's another story ...) Child one and two nursed for 15 months each. Child three nursed for 23 months. For the first two, it made such a huge difference for me!

Thank you for reminding me of the cases where there was cardiac issues. I need to remember that these were not nursing moms, but elderly patients. This time around, I have read about about Domperidone probably more than I should have. Its just unsettling to feel pain in your chest area and not able to tell what it is. My mother-in-law reminded me that my (fantastic) doctor is going to error on the side of caution -- She knows my history well, I just saw her on Monday and she has had many other moms that have used Domperidone. If she had any reservations, she would not have said to keep using it. My hunch is that this is some sort of thrush that is hopefully dying off.

Thanks again for both of your replies!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page