Breastfeeding after galactocele - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 06-08-2015, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Breastfeeding after galactocele

Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a galactocele? I dealt with one for the first 6 months of my daughter's life (was so horrible), and although I am done breastfeeding for now, I am wondering how/if it's going to affect breastfeeding the next time around. Does anyone who dealt with one of these cysts have encouraging stories of successfully breastfeeding another child afterwards? Or, even if they have discouraging stories, I guess I'm looking for any information regarding subsequent babies. TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-08-2015, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
It sounds like maybe yours was worse than mine so I'm not sure how helpful this will be. Mine developed when I was pregnant with DD1. It didn't have any impact on breastfeeding either DD1 or DD2.

When DD2 was about 1yo I had it aspirated and the radiologist emptied it completely. It refilled after a while and returned to about it's original size. DD2 is now 2.5yo and I haven't given it a thought for months. I just checked for the purposes of responding to this thread and it seems to be almost empty again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 7 Old 06-09-2015, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
It sounds like maybe yours was worse than mine so I'm not sure how helpful this will be. Mine developed when I was pregnant with DD1. It didn't have any impact on breastfeeding either DD1 or DD2.

When DD2 was about 1yo I had it aspirated and the radiologist emptied it completely. It refilled after a while and returned to about it's original size. DD2 is now 2.5yo and I haven't given it a thought for months. I just checked for the purposes of responding to this thread and it seems to be almost empty again.

Thanks for your response katelove. Mine was so severe that I wasn't able to breastfeed on the affected side, probably should have mentioned that. I had to have it aspirated 9 times and then eventually an incision done! Anyway, it sounds like yours 'came back' though the second time around? Or did it just not go away in between the 2 babies?
#4 of 7 Old 06-09-2015, 02:52 PM

Was it a galactocele or an abscess?

Mine didn't go away but I didn't stop breastfeeding between babies either :-)

#5 of 7 Old 06-09-2015, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

It was a galactocele turned abscess... the first few times it was aspirated it was just milk that came out, but that changed eventually. I stopped breastfeeding on that side pretty early on in the hopes that it would resolve itself, but it kept filling back up anyway and then became infected.

I don't really feel it anymore, so I guess we'll see if it decides to come back or not next time around. Thanks again for your response--I've been having a hard time getting any feedback or information about this whole thing!!
#6 of 7 Old 06-09-2015, 07:12 PM

Did it need to be aspirated because of it's location? Was it interfering with attachment? If not, I would be inclined to leave it alone. It was probably the aspiration which introduced the infection in the first place so, if you're able to just leave it, it's unlikely to form an access again.

#7 of 7 Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, from what I've read of other accounts a lot of women are just able to leave them be. Unfortunately due to the size (size of my fist) and location, DD was unable to latch on that side. I tried to 'force' it for a while, but it just wasn't working. Really hoping I don't have to deal with it again!!

Tags
cyst , galactocele

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page