in search of success stories - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 05-30-2006, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone, I've been a mother for 3.5 weeks and can't get more than a trickle of milk for my darling babe. I give him formula with the SNS and pump a lot. I really could use to hear about any women who've been in my place and were eventually able to move to exclusive BFing. I'm still hoping I'll be able to do it but my optimism could use a boost. Thanks in advance!
#2 of 25 Old 05-30-2006, 12:39 PM

Hang in there! I admire you for sticking with it!

I started out making very little milk. About 0.5 oz per feed or less. I knew this not because of pumping, but because I did weigh/feed/weighs at a BFing clinic. I tried absolutely everything except standing on my head. Fenugreek, pumping, drinking tons of water, oatmeal, beer, mother's milk tea, etc. Nothing worked! I was so stubborn, I didn't want to have to take medication. I thought I could do it on my own. At about 7 weeks I had a uterine infection and was checked for retained placenta. After that was ruled out, I guess you can say I was ready to give it one last shot. I went on Domperidone at 7 weeks PP. It didn't happen instantly, but very gradually with lots of pumping. Also, I was putting my son to the breast practically every hour. It was an uphill battle, heartbreaking at times and joyous at others. It's a struggle unlike any I've ever faced. But it's the most amazing feeling to know that whatever happens, you got one more day of breastmilk into your child. I was told in the beginning I'd probably never make more than 0.5-1 oz per feed, and that I'd probably have to supplement a majority of his calories. Well, they were wrong. While he's never been exclusively BFed, at about 3 months old, I was making about 75% of his calories. Now, at 8.5 months old, he gets one bottle a day before bed (about 4 oz) I would have continued to nurse even if I only had a drop, but it is such a blessing to me that I'm able to make almost enough for him now.

It is so rewarding. Really. It is. Breastfeeding is about SO MUCH MORE than just nutrition. It seems so hard now, and it is, but as each day passes and you get more time under your belt, you may find it becomes less about the actual milk and more about the bond between you and your child.
#3 of 25 Old 05-30-2006, 05:24 PM

citykid, seek out henhao and gianna's mom. They've both got success stories that might help you.

jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#4 of 25 Old 05-30-2006, 07:45 PM

I have never been in your place but I have to commend you for doing the best for your child ! It is worth it keep it up
#5 of 25 Old 05-30-2006, 08:28 PM

OT:

Where did you get dom?

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#6 of 25 Old 05-30-2006, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html
Has lots of info and other mothers' stories about milk supply issues. Also, there is a brand new book coming soon by Diana West about low milk supply, but I don't think it is out yet.
#7 of 25 Old 05-31-2006, 01:13 PM

Hi All! Just wanted to give a to those of you that encouraged me with the SNS. Well , we tried again last nite after work and my DS did pretty well on it. He struggled at the end b/c it hard for me to tell if he is full (since he does get some BM) or just antsy about it.

The LC said maybe I should try Reglan for 2 weeks just to give my prolactin a boost. What do you think? I did have some postpartum depression and am a bit afraid.
#8 of 25 Old 05-31-2006, 02:09 PM

i would be very concerned about taking reglan since you have depression in your history. a friend of mine was on reglan for severe hyperemesis during her third pregnancy and only at the END of her pregnancy, after quitting it a few months before, did she learn that it might be contraindicated if you have a history of depression, which she did. she was kinda mad at her doc for not pointing that out.

would your md or your child's pediatric md prescribe domperidone for you? you can also get it from a few internet places for your personal use.

~claudia
#9 of 25 Old 05-31-2006, 05:50 PM

Hi TurboClaudia - I tried Domperidone and only noticed a slight increase in milk supply. I am on 120 mgs total. Take 30mgs. - 4 times a day. Starting Fenugreek. Someone said Goats rue???? may be a good one to try.

Please share your thoughts.
#10 of 25 Old 06-01-2006, 12:32 AM

I am a success story. I never got my son to latch on in the hospital and had to exclusively pump. The first day I pumped, I got drops. My day's total was less than 2 oz eventhough I pumped every 3 hours. It was very discouraging. However it did get better. At 1 month I could pumping 18oz for the day (still less than he was eating, but better than 2 ozs).

I took fenugreek and ate oatmeal, but none of that helped me. I was told to pump every 3 hours for 15 minutes, which equates to 8 pumping sessions a day. I did this for a week, but I was still pumping drops at the end of the week. I decided (for many reasons such as trying to get a good nights sleep) to change my sessions from 15 minutes to 10 minutes and pump 10 to 12 times a day. I also only got up 1 time during the night instead of several. This made all the difference for me. Every day I was pumping more and more BM.

After 1 month, I got my son to latch on. I was so happy. I still supplemented some for the next month - but he did not have any formula after 2 months. He is now 2 years old and is still breastfeeding.

What I did may not work for you, but I wanted to let you know that it is possible to go from pumping drops of breastmilk to exclusive breastfeeding your child.

Good luck
#11 of 25 Old 06-01-2006, 01:44 AM

from what i have read, domperidone may not help some women until after 3 weeks. i also believe you can safely go up to 180mg a day and watch for another 3 weeks for any increase. how long have you been taking the dom?

sadly, i was someone who did not see any appreciable increase in milk supply with domperidone after a month at 120mg a day and another month at 180mg a day. it can help many women, but not all.

i don't know very much about goat's rue, but will be adding it to my list of things to try should i need it with this second baby. i did not know about it the first time around.

if you are willing and your doctor is willing to give the reglan a try, it may work differently for you than the domperidone, although from my reading, again, domperidone has seemed more effective in increasing supply overall for most women. having depression in your history and having overcome it will help you be aware of the signs and help your partner and your doctor also be aware of the signs with you, so it may be appropriate to give it a try if you feel comfortable.

with the fenugreek, be sure you are taking enough to make your body fluids start smelling like maple syrup (sweat and urine in particular). i took 1800mg x 3 times a day. it helped some but not much.

~claudia
#12 of 25 Old 06-01-2006, 03:54 AM

Just as an aside. . .

Pumping to increase milk supply requires a hospital grade, heavy duty pump. Remember, regardless of all the stuff you can take to increase supply (oatmeal, herbal supplements etc.), breastfeeding is supply and demand. Pump as much as you can . . . frequent sessions long or short will help. Another tip is to keep pumping for five or so minutes even after you stop actually getting milk. This stimulates milk production and will help to build your supply up as well.

For more info.: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p....html#increase

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

I am so proud of you! Keep your head up. You are an awesome Mama and you WILL get through this!
#13 of 25 Old 06-01-2006, 09:34 AM

Hi TurboClaudia,

It is my 3rd week on Dom and supply is pretty good - not great - as we all hope to be someday. I think I will give until the end of this week with it. I think the SNS helped alot but I had to trade off with that one. DS will not take the bare breast anymore - he likes the faster flow of milk. But he nurses alot longer with it which obviously helps my stimulation.

Thanks so much for the advice about Reglan. I am hesitant but willing to try it just telling people to keep an eye on me is a great idea.

Thanks.
#14 of 25 Old 06-01-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh
OT:

Where did you get dom?
http://www.globaldrug.tv/category.asp?CtgID=1003

is a good place.

We really need some stickies around here.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#15 of 25 Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise
We really need some stickies around here.
start a new thread for your sticky topic and then pm a mod to ask to make it a sticky.

~c
#16 of 25 Old 06-01-2006, 04:43 PM

Dude, I made a domperidone thread in the forum. It's titled something like "Domperidone / Reglan / Other Galactagogues / Metformin use while pregnant".

Stick stick stick!

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#17 of 25 Old 06-01-2006, 11:07 PM

We're a success story in a different sense...

Most people around here know our story--milk didn't come in until day 5, and never was more than a few drops. When Brandon dropped from 6 lbs 15 oz to 6 lbs 3 ounces, the doctors forced us to give him formula in a bottle. And I mean they REFUSED to write a prescription for an SNS. Eventually we went over their heads and got one from a LC, but it was too late--he was on bottles for a month. He was still nursing 45 minutes every hour around the clock and every 2-4 hours I pumped with a lactina. Eventually I was able to get him off the bottles and using an SNS.

At the 6 month mark, I was still making less than 1 ounce a day. Brandon was only 12 lbs. He was still nursing every 2 hours around the clock and I was still pumping every 2 hours (and getting mere drops), and went to full term 4 oz of supplements in the lactaid at every feeding.

By a year old, we'd gotten pretty good at the routine and I decided to stop pumping because I couldn't take it anymore. Then I got pregnant (so the lactaid was a blessing--Brandon didn't notice my milk dried up). After Ryland was born and passed away, Brandon continued to nurse, but again, my milk supply was really low. However, at 30 months old, I'm happy to report that Brandon nurses 3-6 times a day WITHOUT a lactaid, and then one time a day with it!!

My baby, who screamed every time he saw the breast at 6 weeks old is still nursing at 30 months despite severe low supply, 5 weeks of thrush, 2 diagnoses of failure to thrive, a pregnancy and all other obsticals we have faced!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#18 of 25 Old 06-02-2006, 09:37 AM

Wow AllyRae - what a wonderful story. Your child is very lucky.

I just revisted this thread, I posted earlier about my story. Here's a recap. I exclusively pumped the 1st month and only made 2 oz all day. I kept at in and within a month was pumping 18 ozs. I eventually got my son to latch on and actually nurse and haven't supplemented since the 2nd month. He is now 2.

I just wanted to add something. I think a few people have mentioned this. My pump was a rented pump from the hospital.
#19 of 25 Old 06-02-2006, 04:31 PM

That is all i have to say. Don't use formula! That will only make things worse. It will lower your supply, etc.
Just keep the baby on there. I know it is so hard, they cry, wiggle, etc. But they will get the hang of it. I just kept reminding myself that mothers back when formula was non existant did not starve thier children by breastfeeding, why would we??
#20 of 25 Old 06-02-2006, 04:40 PM

That is all i have to say. Don't use formula! That will only make things worse. It will lower your supply, etc.
Just keep the baby on there. I know it is so hard, they cry, wiggle, etc. But they will get the hang of it. I just kept reminding myself that mothers back when formula was non existant did not starve thier children by breastfeeding, why would we??
#21 of 25 Old 06-02-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alijased
Well, yeah, babies like mine would have starved without formula. I did not make enough no matter how much pumping, etc. so we used a supplemental nursing system to use WITH formula so he'd at least get SOME breastmilk.

Formula was designed for babies who couldn't get breastmilk--that includes people with very low supply. I learned (through a LOT of tears) that some people do NOT make enough milk due to hormonal issues or whatnot. By using formula through a SNS/lactaid, your baby can get the benefit of getting every last drop of milk you DO produce.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#22 of 25 Old 06-02-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
and back when formula was not availabe, in many cultures it was acceptable for ANY mother to pick up a hungry baby and put them to breast.

there were SOME babies who did not thrive and who DID die because their mothers could not make enough milk to sustain them and the alternative milks they were given were not properly fortified for optimal human growth.

please do not lecture a mama struggling to breastfeed her baby as much as possible and still not getting enough to sustain that baby and so needing to supplement with an alternative milk on the dangers of formula. we have enough guilt over it already. as i understand it, this forum was created for us to share our stories and experiences to help support mothers who are struggling with the same issues despite knowing the "dangers" of formula.

off my soapbox now...

~claudia
#23 of 25 Old 06-03-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just kept reminding myself that mothers back when formula was non existant did not starve thier children by breastfeeding, why would we??
Certainly my baby would have died if not for formula, because he could not latch for the first 2 weeks due (I think) to having had his stomach pumped because of swallowing a lot of meconium in utero, and because I had not even a drop of colostrum in the beginning. We fed him with a cup during that time and I held him at my breast while he cried and struggled to do what felt natural but also reminded him of trauma. Eventually he moved through that trauma and now he latches beautifully. I am grateful for the SNS because it lets me feed him exclusively at my breast, and proud that one feeding a day is 100% BM.

Also most certainly the infant mortality rate used to be ever so much higher. An infant before formula would have gone to a wet nurse, but if the family couldn't afford it or if no wet nurse was available, the infant would have been given sugar water or goat's milk or whatever. A lot of babies did used to die who don't die today.

I nurse him whenever he wants, feed him at my breast, take tons of disgusting herbal tonics, eat oatmeal every day, drink dark beer, and pump more than I like to think about (Medela Classic, thank you Pudnhead). And my supply stays the same. From reading this board I've learned that maybe the fact that my breasts didn't grow during pregnancy has something to do with it. But I don't think that depriving my son of nourishment would give me any more milk.

Thanks also Pudnhead - you have inspired me to increase my pumping. I'm going to dedicate two days to giving all household responsibilities to my dh and my mom and pump round the clock and see if it does anything. Yours is a great story. I keep going back to it.
#24 of 25 Old 06-04-2006, 03:32 AM

I consider ourselves a success story -- DD is 13 mos old and still nursing multiple times a day.

When DD was born, she would not latch to save the world. I pumped my colostrum and syringe fed her. She still lost a lot of weight but by that time, my milk was starting to come in. I pumped every 2-3 hours around the clock and fed her via syringe. I also tried to latch her on for every feeding, an hour long ordeal that was a failure and left us both miserable and in tears. Somewhere around the 3rd week, I managed to get her to latch on momentarily with a nipple shield. I kept working with her with every feeding while maintaining my pumping schedule. . eventually around 4-5 weeks I got her latched on without the nipple shield. A miracle!

But it was short-lived. I had low supply. I pumped about an ounce every session (both breasts combined). In addition to the normal round-the-clock feedings, I was also pumping 3 times a day. Fortunately, up until that point my milk was actually enough for her, but around this time it was obvious she needed more. At first it was a growth spurt. But that growth spurt never ended and DD became increasingly frustrated and upset.

I also started suffering PPD. One major cause was my feeling of inadequacy as a mother. . .I suffered infertility and it took a long time to conceive DD. To me, breastfeeding was redemption, a big "up yours", so to speak, at my body for not cooperating. But no, PCOS strikes again. My OB got me Reglan, but he said I could only take it for 10 days because it causes depression and I already had PPD. My supply really got much better within that time. . .a hopeful development.

As soon as I stopped the Reglan, my supply plummetted again. I started pumping after every feeding, but it still wasn't enough. I finally decided to take the plunge and order Domperidone. I must say, that drug boosted my supply and saved our nursing relationship. It doesn't work as well as the Reglan did, but that's okay. I still don't make a lot of milk, but it's enough. Really, that's all that matters to me. I still had to pump a few extra times a day, but that was okay with me.

And here we are today. DD started eating more solids and she cut back on the nursing some. I stopped pumping completely and now DD gets her sole mama milk from the breast. I don't make enough for a full meal for her but since right now it's just supplementation to the solids, that's okay. She loves it as much as ever and we have no plans of weaning any time soon. I also have no plans of stopping the domperidone. . I'm gonna take it until DD weans!

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#25 of 25 Old 06-04-2006, 03:33 AM

I consider ourselves a success story -- DD is 13 mos old and still nursing multiple times a day.

When DD was born, she would not latch to save the world. I pumped my colostrum and syringe fed her. She still lost a lot of weight but by that time, my milk was starting to come in. I pumped every 2-3 hours around the clock and fed her via syringe. I also tried to latch her on for every feeding, an hour long ordeal that was a failure and left us both miserable and in tears. Somewhere around the 3rd week, I managed to get her to latch on momentarily with a nipple shield. I kept working with her with every feeding while maintaining my pumping schedule. . eventually around 4-5 weeks I got her latched on without the nipple shield. A miracle!

But it was short-lived. I had low supply. I pumped about an ounce every session (both breasts combined). In addition to the normal round-the-clock feedings, I was also pumping 3 times a day. Fortunately, up until that point my milk was actually enough for her, but around this time it was obvious she needed more. At first it was a growth spurt. But that growth spurt never ended and DD became increasingly frustrated and upset.

I also started suffering PPD. One major cause was my feeling of inadequacy as a mother. . .I suffered infertility and it took a long time to conceive DD. To me, breastfeeding was redemption, a big "up yours", so to speak, at my body for not cooperating. But no, PCOS strikes again. My OB got me Reglan, but he said I could only take it for 10 days because it causes depression and I already had PPD. My supply really got much better within that time. . .a hopeful development.

As soon as I stopped the Reglan, my supply plummetted again. I started pumping after every feeding, but it still wasn't enough. I finally decided to take the plunge and order Domperidone. I must say, that drug boosted my supply and saved our nursing relationship. It doesn't work as well as the Reglan did, but that's okay. I still don't make a lot of milk, but it's enough. Really, that's all that matters to me. I still had to pump a few extra times a day, but that was okay with me.

And here we are today. DD started eating more solids and she cut back on the nursing some. I stopped pumping completely and now DD gets her sole mama milk from the breast. I don't make enough for a full meal for her but since right now it's just supplementation to the solids, that's okay. She loves it as much as ever and we have no plans of weaning any time soon. I also have no plans of stopping the domperidone. . I'm gonna take it until DD weans!

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page