Losing milk supply at 16 months - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-30-2006, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh this is such a great new subforum!

I posted about this problem a little while back in another of the breastfeeding subforums but did not receive many responses.

After a very severe yeast and then bacterial infection on both nipples a month ago, I had to stop breastfeeding my 16 month-old daughter (my attempts at nursing or pumping would cause a lot of bleeding). After almost two weeks of this heartbreaking situation, I tried to nurse her but she refused for several days, although she was nursing frequently before.

Now she has resumed nursing a few times a day and at night but I have not felt a single letdown since she's started nursing again. She doesn't fuss or seem bothered by it but this is very odd for me. Can there be milk if there is no letdown? Do I need to worry about her nutrition? Is there still a way I can catch up and pump up my milk production again. I feel very bad that I didn't resume pumping once I was better. I was not expecting her to refuse to nurse

I do realize this is not as severe a problem as low milk supply for a newborn but I hope others in this new subforum can help and/or learn from our situation.

Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 05-30-2006, 11:04 PM

some women, myself included, can produce milk and have a milk ejection/letdown but never feel it.

i'm not sure if you need to worry about her nutrition at her age. is she eating at least a small variety of solid foods? is she drinking water or other fluids?

it sounds like you have gotten rid of the thrush, and i hope you can figure out ways to increase your milk supply and her nursing sessions soon.

~claudia
#3 of 12 Old 05-31-2006, 01:07 AM

Like Claudia said, many women produce plenty of milk and never feel a let-down. I am nursing my 19mo, and I very rarely feel the let-down. But, in your situation (with one month of no nursing) it is also possible your supply is down. Nursing her often is the best way to get it back up. Short, frequent sessions can be a good supply booster.
#4 of 12 Old 05-31-2006, 11:14 AM

My dd is only 7 months old, but I just wanted to add that I feel a strong let down sometimes, but most of the time, nothing. She's ebf, so I'd know if she wasn't getting any or enough milk. Maybe you just aren't feeling it. Have you tried to express a little milk?? Can you tell if she's swallowing?

-chelsea dust.gif
#5 of 12 Old 05-31-2006, 11:31 AM

Hey mama!
Sending you lot's of milk flowing vibes!

What's your diet like?

Milk production is GREATLY affected by what you eat & how much fluids you are getting.... Drink, drink H20!!!!!!!

Also, stay away from Mints, Sage, Lemon Balm, Parsley..These herbs will decrease your Milk production!

Here's a great web site,I highly rec. her book!!!!
http://www.mother-food.com/home.shtml

Feel free to pm, i'd be happy to list foods & herbs that help will your supply!

Best of luck!
#6 of 12 Old 05-31-2006, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For a toddler, I'd offer her the breast frequently, and offer her healthy foods frequently as well. At 16m of age, she can thrive on mostly breastmilk, or she can thrive on mostly solids with a small amount of mama milk. I suggest you nurse her, and feed her whenever you feed yourself, and try not to worry about her nutrition.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 12 Old 05-31-2006, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

I know she should be fine, but I'm still worried. It's been a little over a week that she has resumed nursing regularly throughout the day and the night and I'm worried that my milk supply is lost. If a week of nursing hasn't brought it back, what will?

She is eating A LOT! So I know she should be okay. Thanks to the posters who let me know they were no longer feeling the letdowns. I still did until recently, but I guess I could still be having them, maybe not as strong?

Thanks a lot for the link about the effect of food and herbs on breastfeeding. I hope this will inspire and motivate me to look more into my own nutrition.

I really appreciate the help and suggestions I receive here.

Thank you!
#8 of 12 Old 06-01-2006, 01:48 AM

you can also check the new Mothers Overcoming Breastfeeding Issues website for more references about lactogenic herbs and foods: www.mobimotherhood.org

~claudia
#9 of 12 Old 06-01-2006, 03:07 AM

Char -- I can't remember when I stopped feeling letdowns, but I know there was some point when I felt them quite strongly, and now I don't feel anything at all. It's probably been over a year now (my son is almost 2 1/2). I know he still gets milk when he nurses, I can see it on his lips sometimes.

I just wanted to say, don't overdo it drinking water. 6-8 glasses a day is recommended, or drink to thirst -- there is some evidence that overconsumption of water can actually hurt your milk supply as well.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#10 of 12 Old 06-01-2006, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Claudia, very helpful!

And Marisa, I jut saw the same tip about water in the link Claudia suggested!

A friend also suggested yeast tablets, which were also on the same website, but I must say I'm worried it will contribute to thrush. Dos anyone know if there's a relationship between taking yeast tablets and yeast infectons???

Thanks!
#11 of 12 Old 06-01-2006, 11:24 AM

My mom took brewer's yeast supplements when we were younger (my little brother was still nursing). It is supposed to be good for you, but according to this article from Leaven (LLL) it should be discontinued if yeast infections are a problem.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html

It shouldn't cause you to have yeast infections by itself. If you're prone to thrush, though, you might want to try other routes first.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#12 of 12 Old 06-01-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa724
My mom took brewer's yeast supplements when we were younger (my little brother was still nursing). It is supposed to be good for you, but according to this article from Leaven (LLL) it should be discontinued if yeast infections are a problem.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html

It shouldn't cause you to have yeast infections by itself. If you're prone to thrush, though, you might want to try other routes first.
I've been using this brand of yeast flakes:

http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3476

It's not literally "brewer's yeast" and is labeled as being specially grown so as to be free of candida yeast, the type of yeast in thrush and vaginal and intestinal yeast overgrowth. I'm prone to yeast overgrowth myself and can take this with no problem.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page