bf challenge story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to this but have received so much info from lurking! I had bf challenges with #1 but was told and thought myself it was due to having gall bladder surgery when son was 6 weeks old. He was losing weight and we started supplementing at 2 months old. I was so emotional over this and didn't understand why I wasn't able to provide all the nutrition he needed. I, like others I've read, cried through the 1st bottle I gave him I just KNEW #2 would be different and I would be able to strictly bf like I was made to do! We were in the hospital after having #2 and having troubles already! I started pumping from the get go! I was told he was a "sleepy" baby...after dehydrating twice and having to watch them put an IV in his little head we gave in and started supplementing with a bottle (we were syringe feeding). He is now 8 weeks old and rarely goes to the breast but I'm STILL pumping every 2-3 hours! UGH! I'm at a breaking point and don't know how long I can do this, but I also can't let it go either! I'm getting 1-2 ozs (about 13 ozs in 24hrs.). I've been working closely with amazing LCs and have been on Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle and an contemplating using Domperidone! Any advice/help/encouragement would be appreciated!
#2 of 7 Old 05-30-2006, 11:07 PM

mama...

lots of mamas on the low milk supply tribe thread have walked journeys similar to yours and might have domperidone or other suggestions...

are you open to craniosacral therapy for your son? it sounds like it might help with his refusal to be at the breast. many chiropractors know this technique. you can look at www.icpa4kids.com to find a chiropractor specializing in working with children as well as pregnant mamas.

~claudia
#3 of 7 Old 05-30-2006, 11:22 PM

I had a similar issue and what worked for us was to offer dd the breast about an hour after I bottle fed her. When she was full but not too full she was more willing to accept the breast and would nurse happily at that time. I made a point to do that at least once per day and we still enjoy an active nursing relationship at 14 months. She went through what felt like a long period of refusing the breast and this resolved that problem.

Go for the domperidone. It wasn't the panacea that I was searching for, but it was very helpful. And every other mother I know or have heard of using it has had great success with it.

Acupuncture can also help bring in your milk.

I would not see a cranio-sacral therapist unless I was really sure of his/her credentials. I was injured by a supposedly good, and very successful, chiropractor during my pregnancy and now see an Osteopath. She's taught me alot about how chiros and c/s therapists are offshoots of osteopathy and, especially people practicing c/s therapy, are often undereducated. She sees alot of people who are injured by inexperienced or undereducated therapists. That's not to say there aren't many awesome ones out there, but be sure to look around before you leap.
#4 of 7 Old 05-31-2006, 12:58 AM

I recently saw a review of the book Mother Food by Hilary Jacobson. It gives info about food and herbs that increase milk supply. Might be worth looking into. Have you been to an LLL Meeting? The Leaders and moms there would have some great advice and support for you. There are some things you can do to encourage your baby to take the breast-- avoid artificial nipples, increase skin-to-skin contact, wearing baby in a sling, co-sleeping. I hope things get easier for you soon.
#5 of 7 Old 05-31-2006, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
just had to reply
I had alot of problems with my 1st, nursing and pumping and bottle feeding bm. I had many times I felt like giving up.
Don't give up. Easier said than done I know.
What kind of bottles are you using. I used playtex and I didn't know at the time that they were the worst to use. With dd I used regular old bottles but I bought NUK nipples for them, it helped her to open her mouth sorta the same way as she had to on the breast. Have you tried a nipple sheild? Alot of ppl say they are not good but my ds ONLY nursed with one. They are clear silicone. My ds would only go on the sheild after I found a silicone bottle nipple for him to use.
If you do use a nipple sheild it is important to rember to always pump after. Sheilds can affect supply. SO maybe in your case they wouldn't be the best thing. But It may help to get baby to the breast.

Also hold the baby everytime for a bottle feeding. Hold it facing you. tummy to tummy just like a nurseing baby would.

Have you tried masaging(sp?) your breasts before you pump. Just sit down relax think about your baby.warm wash cloths on your breast before pumping help too! pump quick at first like a baby would latch, to bring your milk in. And just pretend it is your baby sucking. Thats what I had to do
don't know if any of this will help but I hope so
Good luck
keep us updated

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
#6 of 7 Old 06-01-2006, 04:06 PM

Here's some hints for trying to get baby back to breast:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...east.html#coax

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#7 of 7 Old 06-01-2006, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

This was great info...I was getting to the point where I didn't even want to offer the breast anymore b/c we would both get so frustrated! I offered it today and he nursed..only for a few minutes, but they were so sweet! I can tell he would love to nurse if only I had plenty to offer him! That's what's so hard to handle! Sorry, I'm venting now! I'm going to order the Domperidone and PRAY it works!!!! THANKS AGAIN!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page