FAQ: Domperidone (Motilium) - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 442 Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's simply luck – some people gain and some don't. My SIL and I are both long-term dom users – she's gained 20 pounds and I'm lucky enough not to have gained any. I'm 10 lbs below pre-pregnancy weight.
But neither of us have our periods back – which I know is typical with dom moms.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#302 of 442 Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 PM

I'm having a very hard time losing my pregnancy weight. I'm still 30 lbs over where I'd like to be, but since I'm not willing to stop taking dom just so I can lose weight, I try not to focus on it too much.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#303 of 442 Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 PM

Thank you for the responses to my question about weight gain. It's very helpful to know that I am not alone in this. The weight came off without much difficulty after I stopped taking the domperidone when my first child was about a year old, and I am crossing my fingers that it will be the same whenever I stop taking it this time. In the meantime, I have had some luck the past month or so in shedding a few of the extra pounds by watching what I eat more carefully.

Thank you for sharing you experiences!

Meg, BFARing mama to two spirited daughters, born at home June 05 and April 08.
#304 of 442 Old 02-28-2009, 03:22 PM

Just wanted to revive this for any new mamas.

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#305 of 442 Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 PM

This thread is amazing. I adopted a 3 month old baby boy that was formula fed from birth, despite his allergy to dairy-based formula. He's even allergic to Alimentum. He does best on Soy, so we are supplementing with that in the meantime...(along with a tiny amount of donor milk) but I am very excited to start giving him some mommy's milk! I had an huge over supply with my son and breastfed him for 2 years, so I hope my body can produce 75-100% for my new baby.

PCOS & MTHFR Homo C677t: Progesterone, Lovenox, Methylfolate, Methylcobalamin, P-5-P :::: 10 years of combined TTC, one bio son, one son via adoption * 4 miscarriages, 2 adoption homestudies, 1 stillbirth daughter Aurora (12/11/2010),  rainbow1284.gif baby due July 15 2012

#306 of 442 Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM

I'm nervous about starting the dom I just received from click remedy. I was expecting blister packs and got a baggie. What should the pills say? Mine say "D 10" and "NL".

mom to DD 3/09
#307 of 442 Old 05-06-2009, 06:19 PM

Mine are from In House Pharmacy and say M10 on one side and Janssen on the other. Mine come in a blister pack. I have taken dom from a compounding pharmacy but those were gelatin capsules with white powder inside. I go those locally.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#308 of 442 Old 05-29-2009, 09:37 AM

I am on Dom after weeks of lactation consultants, continuous pumping and every herb known to man! My question is, is it normal that my DS of 3 months has dark green to almost black poop? And he is so gassy! He only poops every 3 or 4 days, and it's a terrible color. I thought breastfed babies pooped gold poop with seeds, that's what my 4 year old daughter did. Is this the result of the dom? Has anybody else noticed poop problems? I'm definitely not producing so much milk that it could be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance thing. Sometimes I still have to supplement after a feeding. But when I do pump instead of bf, the milk does seem a little watery. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks!
#309 of 442 Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahay63 View Post
I am on Dom after weeks of lactation consultants, continuous pumping and every herb known to man! My question is, is it normal that my DS of 3 months has dark green to almost black poop? And he is so gassy! He only poops every 3 or 4 days, and it's a terrible color.

Thanks!
I am not sure about the color of the poo, but it is even normal for breastfed babies to poop only once a week. Every baby is different but my son only went once a week when he was breastfed, and boy did I miss it once he went to solids!
#310 of 442 Old 05-29-2009, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahay63 View Post
I am on Dom after weeks of lactation consultants, continuous pumping and every herb known to man! My question is, is it normal that my DS of 3 months has dark green to almost black poop? And he is so gassy! He only poops every 3 or 4 days, and it's a terrible color. I thought breastfed babies pooped gold poop with seeds, that's what my 4 year old daughter did. Is this the result of the dom? Has anybody else noticed poop problems? I'm definitely not producing so much milk that it could be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance thing. Sometimes I still have to supplement after a feeding. But when I do pump instead of bf, the milk does seem a little watery. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks!
I'm on 160mg of dom a day and her poo has been the same as it was from before we started the dom.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#311 of 442 Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#312 of 442 Old 06-19-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

:

Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#313 of 442 Old 06-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Has anyone tried this and Reglan and can let me know how they compare?

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#314 of 442 Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
Has anyone tried this and Reglan and can let me know how they compare?
I have. Hated the Reglan. Hated how it made me feel (crazy!!!!!) and never saw any changes in supply. Took Dom for 16mos, never had any side effects except doubling my meager supply in about 4 days.
#315 of 442 Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
I have. Hated the Reglan. Hated how it made me feel (crazy!!!!!) and never saw any changes in supply. Took Dom for 16mos, never had any side effects except doubling my meager supply in about 4 days.
I didn't feel crazy on the Reglan, though it did make me very tired the first week or so that I took it. It worked fine for about 4 months, and then my body "adjusted" to it and it stopped working. Do you take the Dom every day?

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#316 of 442 Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM

I also took Reglan and it made me crazy! I definitely do not recommend it!
On a separate note, I can't take the battle of breastfeeding anymore, even pumping like crazy and being on dom my DS still battles and hates to breastfeed and is only happy when he gets a bottle. So I am finally waving the white flag after four months, I wish all you moms the best of luck. I'm just happy I could breastfeed for the four months that I did, I wish it had worked out different. And I have 5 boxes of dom that I would be happy to sell to anyone for what Inhouse charged me plus shipping. Just let me know if anyone out there would like them
#317 of 442 Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 AM

Hey mamas
I have sooo many questions!
I've been taking dom for my 11-month-old almost from his birth. I've weaned down to 60 mg a day but I'm afraid to go any further.
Can it be doing any good at this low dose? Should I keep taking it when I go back to work in a month (and can only nurse in the morning/evening and won't express because I can't produce for the pump)?
Is the dom is why I'm not menstruating even though he STTN most of the time?
Has anyone kept taking it for longer than a year? Is it safe while pregnant?
TIA

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#318 of 442 Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
Hey mamas
I've been taking dom for my 11-month-old almost from his birth. I've weaned down to 60 mg a day but I'm afraid to go any further.
Can it be doing any good at this low dose? Should I keep taking it when I go back to work in a month (and can only nurse in the morning/evening and won't express because I can't produce for the pump)?
TIA
60 mg is still a substantial dose. While everyone is different, that is the most that I ever took. It may be making you not menstruate, while increasing your supply; it's hard to say.

Personally, I would try to wean off it before TTC. I don't know what its effects are prenatally, but the early weeks embryo is much more vulnerable to medications than a later fetus or a nursling.

#319 of 442 Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
Hey mamas
TIA
That's a pretty good dose. I was on that much still by the time I quit taking it when my ds was almost 21mos. I had to stop it cause the 20mg dose raised my prolactin levels to around 700! And at that level, I was absolutely not ovulating. I had an ultrasound that showed that I had absolutely nothing happening in my ovaries, my temps were crazy, my periods were none existent. I had sky high prolactin levels. Within 48hrs of stopping the dom, my prolactin level was 7. And I had a period (although it was light) 4 days later and I ovulated 14days after that and got myself knocked up!
It's not safe to take while pg, and chances are good you won't get pg while taking that big a dose.
#320 of 442 Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the input, mamas. I've done a little research and found that although it hasn't been studied in pregnant women, domperidone is actually sometimes prescribed for hyperemesis. Obviously it's a moot point though if it's keeping me from ovulating even though my LO is STTN.
Anyone up for answering my question about whether I should keep taking the dom when I go back to work? I have never been able to produce for the pump but hope to keep nursing my one-year-old in the morning and evenings.

#321 of 442 Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 PM

Hi Megan ...
I'm on 160mg a day ... as per the high end of the Jack Newman protocol.
He says that while there is little reseach on staying on it long term, it is given long term to patients with digestive issues with little adverse affect. I want to get off it because I can't get rid of my pregnancy weight and have been told that dom is a big factor in that ... that being said, I want to stay on it for at least a year too. When I go back to work ... I don't know what I'll do either. I can't produce squat with the pump!
If we were TTC again, I'd definitely go off it.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#322 of 442 Old 07-03-2009, 10:49 AM

Hi Starling,
I just e-mailed Dr. Newman to get his opinion on whether I should stay on the dom. I'm just wondering if it will continue to do any good if the breasts aren't being emptied as often. It will be a pain but I may try pumping once at lunch. I can't pump anything now after nursing but I could pump an ounce or two during a period when Leo was refusing the breast as a newborn.
I'm really not worried about any longterm risks of the dom – I just want to maintain the most supply I can. Honestly, the older the kid gets the more he loves the boob, although I can at least just give him more supp in the Lact-Aid so he won't be traumatized by abrupt weaning.
I will have to stop when we want to TTC sometime in late fall because I'm not menstruating. Although we'll see how I feel about that when I've tried being a WOHM.
The prospect of going back to work is really freaking me out
Anyhow, thanks for letting me ramble...

#323 of 442 Old 07-03-2009, 11:15 AM

Starling,
Just wanted to add that I heard from Dr. Newman and he told me I can start trying to wean off the dom AFTER I return to work but should keep taking it if I notice my supply drops. He said whether to pump at work or not is up to me.
He also said to avoid sippy cups and have the daytime caregiver use open cups.

#324 of 442 Old 07-03-2009, 04:50 PM

Great info, Megan! I love Dr. Newman!

#325 of 442 Old 07-03-2009, 07:36 PM

He rocks – I felt a bit starstruck

#326 of 442 Old 07-14-2009, 12:58 AM

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I had a plugged milk duct or the start of mastitis a few weeks back. It was bad news -- I already have had supply issues. I was on 90 mls of Domperidone and felt like my babe was hungry when this problem was going on and afterwards, because the affected breast wasn't making much milk. Luckily, it was not the breast that tends to make more milk anyway.

I thought I would temporarily up my dose of the Dom to 120 mls to try to get my supply back up and keep my DD well fed. The problem is that I have experienced some side effects and I am almost 100% sure that it is from the Dom. First off, I've had bouts of terrible headaches that won't go away. Second and most recently, I have had some anxiety and fogginess that make me feel nutso. I have tried to go back down to 90 mls, but have notice a decrease in supply, so I have gone back up, but I can't take anymore feeling icky.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Do you think this drop is just temporary? After I felt totally miserable this morning, I decided to try dropping back down to 90 mls gradually. Having a lower supply and having to possibly use my Lact-Aid with frozen milk is one issue, but feeling rotten like that is another. Do you think this is just a sign that I was taking way too much for my size? (I'm 5'7" and about 150 lbs.) Any recommendations on how to do this? I guess I'm just looking for some hope that I can drop my dose down again, feel normal and have enough milk for my baby.
#327 of 442 Old 07-14-2009, 02:14 AM

I'm sorry you've had these problems, crankerton. I've read that increasing your dosage too quickly can result in headaches. I tried upping my dose to 160 mg/day and experienced awful headaches. I would try increasing it to 100 or 110mg/day and see if that helps. There might just be a ceiling- too much is just too much, but it can't hurt to try increasing gradually. Good luck!

#328 of 442 Old 07-14-2009, 08:58 AM

Crankerton
Dr. Newman's protocol for weaning down is to drop one pill a day ever five days or so until you notice a drop in supply then return to the lowest effective dose. So if you're take 120 mg, you'd take 110 mg for a while and if there was no change go to 100 and so on.
I've weaned down from 90 mg to 60 mg without any change in supply and I plan to wean down further when my son gets settled in daycare next month.
Good luck.

#329 of 442 Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks to both of you for all of your help! I will try going to 110 mls and see how things go and then go from there. I'll have to just take a deep breath and be patient.
#330 of 442 Old 07-14-2009, 03:26 PM

I'm at 160mgs a day ... and had headaches for a week or two, but they lessened over time. Now, if only the weight gain would follow suit. :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page