FAQ: Domperidone (Motilium) - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 442 Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiansMommy View Post
I just feel like theres no light at the end of the tunnel but also don't feel that if I were to stop, I'd feel as if I tried everything within my power in the end.
Again, ANY advice, stories, resources, etc you all have to offer is greatly appreciated. I'm checking the thread religiously just because its been so helpful.
THANK YOU all SO much!
Oh, mama! I'm so sorry you're feeling this way
You're doing just GREAT under really, really tough circumstances. I've BTDT.
It sounds like you're getting some better real-world advice, now, although I'm afraid I have no experience with Reglan. My gut reaction would be to take the chance while you're waiting for the dom. You could ask mamas here about their experiences with it but it seems like a good sign that you have no history of depression.
I'm glad you're getting hooked up with an SNS. Please don't be discouraged at the outset – there is a learning curve. I know money is tight but the Lact-Aid system – while pricey – is much superior for long-term supplementation.
I have used a SNS while travelling and yes, it's a PIA but it's doable. You can buy ready-to-serve bottles of formula and wash the SNS anywhere if you bring supplies.
On the pump, I know LCs swear by hospital-grade pumps but I rented one and didn't find it that much better than my Pump In Style. Do you have well-fitted flanges? That can make a big difference.
My son also had a tongue tie and had it "clipped" – essentially snipped with a pair of surgical scissors by our family doc. He cried less than during a diaper change and nursed right afterward.
I so hope you'll be able to exclusively breast feed but if you continue to need to supplement it's not the end of the world. Really. My son needed 8 oz of formula a day in the Lact-Aid to grow well but he got all his nutrition at the breast, every drop of breast milk I could manage and is still nursing avidly at 15 months. I'm still taking dom but stopped pumping after every feed at six months without losing supply.
You CAN do it. Please call on me any time for support.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#362 of 442 Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I just feel like theres no light at the end of the tunnel but also don't feel that if I were to stop, I'd feel as if I tried everything within my power in the end.
Again, ANY advice, stories, resources, etc you all have to offer is greatly appreciated. I'm checking the thread religiously just because its been so helpful.
THANK YOU all SO much!
Mama, you can do this. I didn't nurse my first until he was 3.5mos. I pumped initially (with a hospital grade pump that had too small flanges and that I didn't respond to, but didn't really know any better because I was told it was the best) and decided to quit. After 1wk of not pumping and thinking I had no milk, my boy latched on beautifully. I decided not to quit and ordered dom and started the herbs and pumping. I went from pumping 1oz to 12oz/day in 2 wks and was eventually able to nurse my little one 3-7 times per day and pump 12oz per day for the bottles he took while I was at work. It is possible to build a supply after yours has dropped and to get your baby back to breast.
#363 of 442 Old 11-12-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
II am worried sick about taking Raglan. I've read through the thread and heard all the stories about depression.
Reglan is a very common medication used for nausea and vomiting. Off label use if for increased milk production and I would take it in your situation which, by the way, I don't think is as dire as your medical pro's make it out to be (milk supply). IME, you most certainly CAN up your supply and all is not lost for a 100% BF relationship at some point, but it will take a bit of work. Also, doctors know little to nothing about breastfeeding, milk supply, and especially problems that arise. Make sure your LC is an IBCLC, meaning she is certified and has gone through extensive training.

A good pump is needed but hospital grade is not a requirement. I exclusively pumped for 3 months before getting my son to breast and I used both a Medela PISA and a Lansinoh double electric. I got the Medela using a coupon at BRU for about $205 and the Lansinoh online for $125 at drugstore dot com.
They worked equally well to each other AND the hospital grade Medela that I used for the week I was in the hospital.

Even with a great pump, some women just do not respond well to it. I didn't and that is why I needed the Dom. Domperidone is the only way I could ever pump enough for bottles so I could WOH.

The Dom will help you tremendously and once it really kicks in, you should be able to slowly cut back the supps.

Good luck and check back in.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#364 of 442 Old 11-12-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Haydn'sMom, thats such an excellent improvement in such a short amount of time? What were you taking for supplements? And did you resume pumping in that time?
Before I got my dom, which only took 10 days for me that first time, I started taking More Milk Plus which at the time I could find locally. And I started drinking mother's milk tea. I also took a low dose of Reglan (although, probably not enough since it made me feel crazy and I didn't take it 4 times/day like I was supposed to). I pumped every 3 hrs and nursed my son in the morning and at nap times. I WOH so he had bottles during the day 5 days/wk and I kept giving one at bedtime for a long time for fear that he wouldn't get enough from me and wouldn't sleep well. Just with the herbs and tea and pumping I went from 1 to 3oz that first week. I stayed around 4oz/day pumping until I got the Dom and then I went from 4 to 8 oz almost overnight and was up to pumping 12oz per day plus feeding the baby by the end of 2 wks of Dom. I ended up taking the dom for 18-19mos and nursed the boy until he was 22mos.
#365 of 442 Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

for those in need :

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#366 of 442 Old 11-17-2009, 02:16 PM

I've not been keeping up with this thread, so apologies in advance for posting just about me. I posted this in the main 'challenges' forum but thought this might be the more appropriate place to put it, so here it is again:

Some background: I'm not even sure if I REALLY have low supply, but my baby has been a slow gainer. Following is a brief overview of his weight gain,

birth: 6 pounds 9 ounces
3 months: 9 pounds 10 ounces
6 months: 11 pounds 6 ounces
12 months: 15 pounds 10.5 ounces.
13.5 months: 16.5 pounds

So, except for at birth, he's been below the chart on weight. However, he has always had a good head circumference (30th percentile) and decent length (15th percentile or so). He has met his milestones well, and has seemed perfectly happy and healthy in other respects. He only gained about 6 ounces between 5 and 7 months. We started solids at 7 months.

I was a similarly small baby (almost as small) and yet was formula fed. My sister's babies were breastfed, and similarly started out on the chart for weight, but soon dropped off the chart, and were very small like mine. So I tend to think it's genetic and that there's nothing really wrong. Despite that, I finally decided to go on domperidone at about 9 months. I have noticed an increase in supply.

Now that he's about 14 months of age, I'm wondering whether to keep it up. I plan to continue breastfeeding him as long as we both enjoy it, and feel like the breastfeeding is really contributing to his continued weight gain in addition to the other health benefits.

If you used domperidone to boost supply, how long did you keep it up?

What was your personal experience weaning off the domperidone?

Were you able to totally wean off of it and maintain the same supply you had when on it? Or did you have to keep going at a certain level. Or did you have to keep it up at your initial maximum dosage?

One reason I'm asking is that I'll be out of the country for about 6 months starting in January, and in a place where it will be hard to order the domperidone online for shipment, the way I'm doing now. That means I need to take my supply with me, and I'm wondering how much I should order.
#367 of 442 Old 11-19-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
Before I got my dom, which only took 10 days for me that first time, I started taking More Milk Plus which at the time I could find locally. And I started drinking mother's milk tea. I also took a low dose of Reglan (although, probably not enough since it made me feel crazy and I didn't take it 4 times/day like I was supposed to). I pumped every 3 hrs and nursed my son in the morning and at nap times. I WOH so he had bottles during the day 5 days/wk and I kept giving one at bedtime for a long time for fear that he wouldn't get enough from me and wouldn't sleep well. Just with the herbs and tea and pumping I went from 1 to 3oz that first week. I stayed around 4oz/day pumping until I got the Dom and then I went from 4 to 8 oz almost overnight and was up to pumping 12oz per day plus feeding the baby by the end of 2 wks of Dom. I ended up taking the dom for 18-19mos and nursed the boy until he was 22mos.
What was your Dom protocol the first time and what dose are you on now? TIA.
#368 of 442 Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post
What was your Dom protocol the first time and what dose are you on now? TIA.
the first time i took 4 pills 3 times per day. this time i am taking 3 pills 4 times per day, and i actually think i like that better. my supply this time is good!
#369 of 442 Old 11-24-2009, 01:46 AM

Does anyone have any dp they would be willing to overnight? I am still waiting on my rx to arrive and am starting to notice some serious anxiety setting in with the reglan. I would be willing to pay via paypal. Any would be great!
THANKS!

I'm Melissa married to my hero and loving being a first time Mom to Xian 9/15/09 6lbs 3ounces 19 inches
#370 of 442 Old 12-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Hi ladies-- how long should I try the More Milk plus before moving on to Dom? I took 6 days of Fenugreek (4500 mg per day)....and had a little increase. IBCLC suggested MMP- so I am on day 3 of that.

About me- my son is 2w and 3d old....I got a horrible case of mastitis in my left breast when he was 10 days old and my milk was really starting to come in....and then it dried up over night (even with frequent nursing, etc. etc.)

So, my guy lost a lot of weight in a few days and now we have to supplement BM or formula from 1-2oz after each nursing. I also pump for 15 minutes after each nurisng....

And I am get impatient and desperate for a supply increase because I really want to only BF him.....I hate using forumla! Plus- with all the steps for each feeding it is taking me 2 hours per feed.....really tough times.

Should I just go for it and order the Dom????- I have an appt. with my IBCLC on Tues- and she said we could talk about it then, if I am not seeing the results that I want. I am afraid it takes so long to get it....as I think I will have to order from NZ--

I refuse to take Reglan, because I am depressed enough with the current state of the nusing relationship that I do not want to add something that could cause me depressive symptoms.

Any thoughts?
#371 of 442 Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyleah View Post
And I am get impatient and desperate for a supply increase because I really want to only BF him.....I hate using forumla! Plus- with all the steps for each feeding it is taking me 2 hours per feed.....really tough times.

Should I just go for it and order the Dom????- I have an appt. with my IBCLC on Tues- and she said we could talk about it then, if I am not seeing the results that I want. I am afraid it takes so long to get it....as I think I will have to order from NZ--

I refuse to take Reglan, because I am depressed enough with the current state of the nusing relationship that I do not want to add something that could cause me depressive symptoms.

Any thoughts?
I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this. It sucks.

I would do what ever it takes to get my supply up as soon as possible. ordering some Dom couldn't hurt! You can always find someone who needs it if you don't and for me, the line between supplementing with formula and "supplementing" with my milk seemed really slim.

In the mean time, spend as much time with him skin-to-skin as possible. Cancel visits and outings (at this time of year!!) and nurse him whenever he wants. Offer your breast to him often. Focus on breastfeeding. When I was really struggling with my supply that's what I did, and with the help of Dom, I've been nursing ever since!

best of luck

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#372 of 442 Old 12-27-2009, 11:27 AM

hi all, I started Dom a week ago. this is a great resource. I am trying 100 (3, 4, 3) mg a day and have noticed a minor improvement, but maybe I need to increase it? thoughts on if I should bump it up or just wait a bit longer?

my story is similar to xiansmommy in some ways, lo is 14 wks, at 8 wk wasn't gaining until we started formula supplements. I have worked with several LCs, the most recent being the most helpful. Since the formula addition she is doing really well, several pounds gained. But I am still trying to BF/give bottled breast milk for as much as I can... any reductions on the formula side I can do will be a plus though its not likely I will eliminate it. am also taking mm special blend. I pump and we do skin to skin time (probably should do more), etc... only other thing I haven't tried is an SNS.

I'm going back to work in a week, and worried about that.

Tasha, mom to 2 girls

www.360lean.com

Twitter: @360lean Facebook Page: 360 Lean

#373 of 442 Old 12-30-2009, 04:12 PM

thanks everyone, for contributing to this thread. I will be starting on dom tonight, getting it through our compound pharmacy, prescribed by my OB.

you can read posts about the issues my children have in the special needs forum, but both (2.5 year old and 3 month old) are extremely intolerant of intact animal protein- my son is on an amino acid formula and can't have any whole proteins, and my daughter suffers from severe diarrhea and reflux that cause weight loss when I have any intact animal protein *or* soy in my diet. I had to go to a soy-free, vegan diet about seven weeks ago, and two weeks ago my supply started to drop. If she didn't have such severe reflux (she vomits all over me while nursing every single time), she might be ok, but as it is, she hasn't gained any weight in 10 days. My hope is that the dom will allow me to produce enough to pump more (I only get about 4-5 oz per day now, tops, down from 12-15/day a month ago) so I can give her supplemental bottles of breast milk throughout the day.

She nurses all day long (every 1-1.5 hours) so I don't see how I can possibly boost supply anymore than I am with nursing (I don't have time to pump after every feed, just once or twice per day). I've tried all the standard herbs, teas and oatmeal, water, etc. these all worked when EPing for my son, but I think my diet makes it very hard to produce enough milk. DD's dietician wants me to get 88 grams of protein per day (I'm quite tall), and without soy that is next to impossible. I've been losing weight since her birth (I am 26 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight), which is good for me (I am overweight), but means I'm not getting enough calories. We can't even use elemental formula because all our docs suspect she will get very sick from them, as my son did.

I sincerely hope I am going to see some results quickly- I hate the thought of my daughter ending up on TPN for failure to thrive, but that's where we're headed.

Wish us luck!
#374 of 442 Old 01-20-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post
Hi ladies,

I'm new to this forum and also a FTM to my 9 wk old son, Nickolas. I have read through this entire thread and I have found the discussion so informative and helpful. Thank you so very much for all the great discussion. Here's my story...

I have been BFingmy baby since birth and didn't find out that I have supply issues until he was 5 wks old. He became a very fussy baby as soon as his mild jaundice cleared up and DH and I just figured he was a high-needs baby and were committed to giving him the love and attention he needed. When he was a month old, my mom commented on his stool being green in color and told me that that was not normal for a BF baby. I started researching green stool and realized that it could be caused by a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. That, coupled with the fact that my baby wanted to nurse all the time for 1-1 1/2 hrs, but still always seemed hungry led me to call his ped. The doc had me bring him in right away and immediately diagnosed reflux and gave us a script for Prevacid. Thankfully, he also referred me to a local breastfeeding resrouce center. After three weeks of working with two different IBCLCs, I am now being referred to a different pediatrician who specializes in more complicated BF issues. I have already been told that she will probably prescribe dom for me based on my consistent low supply. My baby typically gets 1.5-2 oz per feeding at the breast and I have been supplementing anywhere from 2-8oz of expressed breastmilk per day in a bottle.

Finding this discussion has been so helpful to me because it has let me know that I am definitely not alone in my struggles with low supply AND it has seriously raised my comfort level witht he idea of using a drug to increase my supply. I've been taking Fenugreek and Lactation Blend capsules plus eating lots of oatmeal but I just haven't seen the kind of results I would like. I'm also pumping 4-5 times per day after feedings and I get anywhere from a few drops to 2 oz. It's just so inconsistent. My son is ALWAYS hungry and I get so sad everytime he finally feels satisfied with a bottle after being so frustrated with me. I have a very small supply stashed in the freezer, but it won't last much longer and I want to avoid more formula if possible (I had to supplement with formula for about two weeks). I desparately want a long-term BF relationship with my son and I really hope dom will help me get that.

Erica
Bump

Update:

DS is now 7mo and we are still BFing, although he is now eating solids regularly and getting **some** formula (sigh ) in a bottle due to my continued low-supply issues. I havfe been taking 90mg of Dom for several months now and I was just wondering if you all think I could benefit from upping the dosage to try and eliminate the formula entirely? When I pump there is almost zero output. I REALLY don't want to wean, but I've been having these issues even with dom.

Any thoughts at all???

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#375 of 442 Old 01-21-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post
Bump

Update:

DS is now 7mo and we are still BFing, although he is now eating solids regularly and getting **some** formula (sigh ) in a bottle due to my continued low-supply issues. I havfe been taking 90mg of Dom for several months now and I was just wondering if you all think I could benefit from upping the dosage to try and eliminate the formula entirely? When I pump there is almost zero output. I REALLY don't want to wean, but I've been having these issues even with dom.

Any thoughts at all???
You could try upping the dose. I always took 90 mg but my SIL took 120 mg a day without ill effects. I've heard of people taking as much as 160 mg a day.
But the main thing I'd suggest is eliminating bottles entirely and using a Medela SNS or Lact-Aid to supplement. Bottles, in my experience, can really be a downward spiral for low supply. I really understand how tough it is to have to use formula but at least that way your LO would get more of what he needs at the breast. You could also look into Milkshare or ask your midwife about finding a milk donor.
Good luck, mama. You're doing great!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#376 of 442 Old 01-21-2010, 03:22 PM

Hi Ladies...on a hunt for good places to buy dom w/o a rx....my ob won't prescribe despite having a compounding pharmacy that makes it in town.
Worries about the sites and desparate.

My situation: 11 month old dairy allergic/intolerant refluxing dd has never had formula. My supply is tanking. She wants to nurse, I want her to continue and I really don't want to do formula considereing her issues. I have been on fenugreek, marshmellow root, tea, more milk plus, pumping and nursing as often as possible (dd nurses every 2-3 hours all night long, every 4hours during the day...I work and pump...can nurse her at day care) She was born 7#11oz is now about 19#2oz. She has been consistently in the 25th percentile. She is small but has gained relatively well...every drop of milk was a hard fought battle. And now, with a tanking supply, I am desparate and sad.

If anyone has had a decent experience in obtaining domperidone w/o a rx ion the US and would be willing to share the info, I'd really apprecicate it. If you are not comfortable here, pm me or anfoster@power-net.net. Thanks so much for your time.......

ETA: oops, after reading through some previous posts, this post may be pulled...I'll leave it in hopes it gets a response before then.

eta2: got some feedback from my lc about where to purchase, pm me if you want this info....

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)
#377 of 442 Old 01-23-2010, 04:37 AM

www.inhousepharmacy.com is a great overseas pharmacy.
#378 of 442 Old 01-23-2010, 09:14 PM

thanks for the response! that is the site that was recommended several times......I ordered last night...just waiting for confirmation email. Yeah! thanks again....

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)
#379 of 442 Old 01-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Hey mamas,
I've weaned off the dom entirely but there's still no sign of my period. I'm wondering what other mamas' experience was?
Interestingly, I'd been taking 90 mg a day for a year and noticed no supply change until I dropped below 30 mg so attempting to wean off as per Dr. Newman's protocol is definitely worth a try.
Sadly, I have seen a supply dip, so I'm annoyed that AF hasn't shown up when I've reduced my supply in order to TTC.

#380 of 442 Old 01-27-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
Hey mamas,
I've weaned off the dom entirely but there's still no sign of my period. I'm wondering what other mamas' experience was?
Interestingly, I'd been taking 90 mg a day for a year and noticed no supply change until I dropped below 30 mg so attempting to wean off as per Dr. Newman's protocol is definitely worth a try.
Sadly, I have seen a supply dip, so I'm annoyed that AF hasn't shown up when I've reduced my supply in order to TTC.
When I stopped my dom to TTC with my second, I started temping/charting as soon as I stopped the dom. I never actually had a period, but I did ovulate at the end of the next mo after stopping it (and I got pregnant immediately).
#381 of 442 Old 01-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
When I stopped my dom to TTC with my second, I started temping/charting as soon as I stopped the dom. I never actually had a period, but I did ovulate at the end of the next mo after stopping it (and I got pregnant immediately).
Lucky you!
My period finally showed up and I'm hoping it will be the last one for a LONG time

#382 of 442 Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 PM

has anyone on dom ever notice it gave your lo diarrhea? I started dom on Tues and Wed and Thursday my dd has had very loose, watery stools. Any thoughts? I also had soy milk on Tues/Wed, and was suspecting a soy allergy...wondering if that wasn't it....

#383 of 442 Old 02-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've never ordered domperidone before and am planning to start taking it the day I give birth (microsupply with all three children, no point in waiting). I'd like to order some in plenty of time, but I'm curious about the expiration dates. Does it have a long shelf life? If I order a few months' supply, will it expire before I use it?

Thanks!

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
#384 of 442 Old 02-05-2010, 10:27 AM

Looks like a long shelf life...mine expire in 2013

#385 of 442 Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 AM

Looks like a long shelf life...mine expire in 2013...Motillium....

#386 of 442 Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM

Hello, me again! I popped into this thread a while back with a few questions, and now I'm back.

To save you from having to go back and find my first post, to summarize my BFing journeys:

Flat/inverted nipples lead to poor latch, need nipple shield to even get baby on (even with help from the LC). AF comes back at 3 months PP, at which point supply starts dropping. Without outside assistance I'm dried up at 4-6 months PP. Have tried just about everything - pumping, fenugreek, blessed thistle, brewer's yeast, more milk tea, oatmeal, increased fluids, increased calories, etc. Was even on Reglan last time around and it only bought me two more months and the fatigue was terrible. OB/pedi/LC all think it's my wacky hormones - basically my baby making hormones seem to overrule my baby feeding ones.

Sigh. So baby is now 2.5 weeks old and I'm basically a ticking time bomb.

I found a place online where I can order the domperidone relatively inexpensively and without a prescription and I ordered 100 tabs. Just waiting on it to get here, hopefully by the end of the month. Before I ordered it I didn't realize how much you had to take - I saw on Kellymom that it was 90 mg a day? That would be 9 pills, so obviously my little stash won't last long. But I was wondering if y'all could help me out with the dosing - do I start out immediately on the 90 mg or do I work up to it? I know with the Reglan my doctor had me work up to the full dose and then attempt to wean back down until we found what my maintenance dose was (I pretty much had to take the full dosing for it to have any affect, and after 2 months that quit working). Is Dom similar? Should I start it as soon as it comes in, proactively, or wait until AF comes back and I get the big dip? How soon will I know if it's working or not (the site takes up to 3 weeks to deliver, so if it works I'll need to know when to order more, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on pills if they aren't going to work)? If I start it am I pretty much doomed to taking pills every day for the rest of our BFing career?

TIA!

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#387 of 442 Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Hi fellow DueDate member.

You could try starting at a lower dose and see what happens...when you get a good enough of a response you can always stop there. I started at 2 pills 3x/day and now take about 70-80 mg/day. It is working well for me so far.
#388 of 442 Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Hmmm, I may need to order another 100 when I get paid then just to give it enough time to work. Should I start it now or wait until my supply starts dipping?

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#389 of 442 Old 02-17-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
Hmmm, I may need to order another 100 when I get paid then just to give it enough time to work. Should I start it now or wait until my supply starts dipping?
Hmm. So if I'm reading correctly, your supply is fine until your fertility returns? Dom is a good choice for you because its prolactin-boosting effects keep AF away for most women. Do you have any warnings before your fertility returns and supply dips? For example, fertile CM? If you do have warning signs, I'd start dom then. If it just comes out of the blue, I'd start now. The other thing I'd say is that you may not need to take the usual dose - 90 mg a day is typical - to keep your fertility at bay. Mine didn't return until I dropped below 30 mg a day. That may be enough for you but you can experiment with dosage. Good luck, mama.

#390 of 442 Old 02-18-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
Hmm. So if I'm reading correctly, your supply is fine until your fertility returns? Dom is a good choice for you because its prolactin-boosting effects keep AF away for most women. Do you have any warnings before your fertility returns and supply dips? For example, fertile CM? If you do have warning signs, I'd start dom then. If it just comes out of the blue, I'd start now. The other thing I'd say is that you may not need to take the usual dose - 90 mg a day is typical - to keep your fertility at bay. Mine didn't return until I dropped below 30 mg a day. That may be enough for you but you can experiment with dosage. Good luck, mama.
Yes, it dips dramatically with the first AF and starts low after that. I've not seen any fertility signs prior to my first AF in the past - I'm wondering if I even ovulate before that first one? But I don't have a ton of CM (sorry TMI) in the first place so I can't go by that alone. I'm not sure how accurate temping would be with the broken sleep due to BFing, and the last time I tried OPKs it stayed positive for over a week? My body is just a mess.

Do you think it could be possible to keep AF away longer if I started Dom now?

Last time I started Reglan AFTER AF came. She came again 6 weeks later (4.5 months) and then I didn't see her again. The Reglan stopped working (supply started dipping even on the max dose) at 8 months and 8.5 months AF was back and we gave up and weaned. So if I could keep the witch from showing in the first place maybe we'd be more successful?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page