FAQ: Domperidone (Motilium) - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 442 Old 12-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bump

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#422 of 442 Old 12-10-2011, 11:55 AM

Are people still happy with inhousepharmacy?  Where does the dom come from?  Any way to know it's really safe?  Online pharmacies make me nervous but I'm really in need of something to help my supply.  :(

Kate ~~ Mama to my adorable boy A (7/09) bikenew.gifand funny girl G (4/11) diaper.gif

Cautiously expecting #3 in November!

****5*joy.gif**10****15****20****25****30****35****40

We are a happy treehugger.gifwinner.jpg asl.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif family!

#423 of 442 Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM

That is who I used and was perfectly happy with them. I can't remember where it comes from, but pretty sure Asia/Pacific somewhere. The downside is it takes forever to get to you, up to three weeks. I have a number of blister packs left over if you want them. I could send them out on Tuesday to help get you started.

#424 of 442 Old 12-10-2011, 02:08 PM

I'm happy with them, it comes from New Zealand. First shipment took 3 weeks, the next time was much quicker, only about 1.5 weeks.

I'm a Babywearing slinggirl.gif, Cloth diaperingcd.gif, BFing bfinfant.gifusing an SNS, Bedsharing Mamafamilybed1.gif to  DD babygirl.gifborn July '11 at homehomebirth.jpg

#425 of 442 Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 PM

Bumping...and askign a question..

Also does it really take 3 weeks to come from inhousepharmacy to the US? I will have to count my pills but I don't think I have 3 weeks worth left. I'm taking 90ml/day...would you just decrease your overall dose a bit to make sure you had at least some to last the whole time or would you keep the same dose and just risk running out - what's the lesser evil?

#426 of 442 Old 01-20-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

I'm taking 90ml/day...would you just decrease your overall dose a bit to make sure you had at least some to last the whole time or would you keep the same dose and just risk running out - what's the lesser evil?

Dr. Newman's protocol is to drop one pill a day every couple of days as long as you don't notice any difference then stop at the lowest effective dose. So you'd take eight pills a day for a few days then drop to seven and so on.
I hope your pills come soon hug.gif

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#427 of 442 Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

Bumping...and askign a question..

Also does it really take 3 weeks to come from inhousepharmacy to the US? I will have to count my pills but I don't think I have 3 weeks worth left. I'm taking 90ml/day...would you just decrease your overall dose a bit to make sure you had at least some to last the whole time or would you keep the same dose and just risk running out - what's the lesser evil?

It always took that long for me... I hope it doesn't for you. I remember being in a panic a couple of times and doing the decrease over time. My supply never tanked FWIW. Good luck.

#428 of 442 Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 AM

I forgot actually that one was supposed to try and decrease some..I guess if I try that will kill to birds with one stone. I did get a shipping confirmation, so at least I know its on its way!

#429 of 442 Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 PM

I don't think you HAVE to wean down. I plan to take 90 mg a day until DS2 weans. He's a total boob man so I suspect it could end up being three years.
The first time I took dom, my supply tanked and my fertility came back at 30 mg a day.

#430 of 442 Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

I don't think you HAVE to wean down. I plan to take 90 mg a day until DS2 weans. He's a total boob man so I suspect it could end up being three years.
The first time I took dom, my supply tanked and my fertility came back at 30 mg a day.

Yeah I just immediatly assumed I would need 90ml/day because that was the "magic dose" for me it seemed when I took it for DS2 (though my milk still dried up...but that was because I wasn't pumping enough and he was refusing the breast...I'm pumping a lot this time). I think I will need to stay on it at least until DD starts nursing better but with working etc. I may end up having to do it long term...and I'm not sure how good my supply will ever be since I know the first few weeks is best for establishing it. Of course I would PREFER not to take it long term if I don't have to...so I guess we will see. I order another 6 weeks' worth so I figure in another few weeks I will have some answers as far as a timeline for when DD will nurse better and also get another paycheck LOL

#431 of 442 Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 AM

Hello, devoted mammas!

Despite huge efforts and big frustrations I am still trying to stay dedicated too, but it's getting hard with each day!. I had c-section, have very low milk supply, so I am trying everything - More milk special blend, SNS, pumping, brewer's yeast. And taking now Domperidone - already for over 2 weeks, 120 mg.. But it doesn't help either, didn't notice a slightest change, still getting only 1 ounce from both breasts gloomy.gif  On the other hand Dom gave me headaches and weight gain.

But I still try to hold thorugh, therefore I'm very curious how many days/weeks it took you till you started to see the effect? Or probably I should quit Dom by now?..

#432 of 442 Old 04-22-2012, 01:46 PM

After being unable to breastfeed my 2 sons after pumping and taking every herb anyone could recommend, my midwife and I think taking dom as soon as #3 is born is worthwhile. If you knew during pregnancy you needed/might need dom, when did you start taking it and how did you determine the dose?
#433 of 442 Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 AM

I don't think it would hurt to take right away...you could always wean off it if you don't need it. Since I always started fine and then had problems, I just made sure to have a 3 week supply - just enough so I could have time to order more.

Aeowyn- have you tried pumping after feedings or power pumping? Doing that can really enhance the results of the dom :-)

#434 of 442 Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM

Hi ladies! I'm new here. I'm actually a member of a different moms forum, but this one seems to be full of smarter and nicer people, to me, so maybe I will just have to convert! I joined especially to get in on this thread, though.

Basically, I gave birth to our first daughter last February (the 21st), so she is 11 weeks old. I guess we had latching issues, because I was getting injuries (blisters and bruises) in the hospital and BFing was just so painful that I gave it up for exclusive pumping before I was even discharged. No one told me about how that would hurt my supply long term. Now I regret not sticking it out. Anyway, I started out pumping every 3 hours and I produced more than enough. I built up a huge freezer stash. I fed our daughter from a bottle. At 6 weeks, I stretched it out to every 4 hours. My supply tanked. At first, I wasn't too alarmed, because I had a safety net (freezer stash). I've been drinking Mother's Milk tea 3x/day and gone back to pumping every 3 hours (actually, I've been going above and beyond lately and doing more like every 2 hours. My supply has increased a little, but I'm still getting an average of 2-3 oz altogether per pumping session. I'm going through the remainder of my freezer stash much more slowly, but it's still dwindling, and I'd like to at least be able to keep up with her so that I don't have to feed her any formula (at least for another 3 months). To be able to build my freezer stash back up would be sweet. My lactation consultant recommended domperidone and I stumbled across this forum in my research, and here we are. I ordered 200 pills yesterday from InHousePharmacy.biz. Hoping I can coast on what I have/can produce until it gets here.

I did go through a period where I wanted to try to get her back on the breast. She was 9 weeks old and used to a bottle, though, and I got her to latch once and never again. I bought a nipple shield and got her to latch a couple more times, but she would just cry and get frustrated (and I would get frustrated, too) and I just started to question whether it was even worth it. She is perfectly content on the bottle. I just wanted to try BFing again to experience the nursing relationship and also to increase my supply. I haven't tried now for a week or two, and I go back and forth about trying again depending on how I'm feeling on a given day.

My LC and the website she told me about say to take 3-4 pills per day, total. I based my order on this. Now I am seeing that most of you girls take much more than that :-/ I'm not eager to go through these pills in half the amount of time I was planning.... Do you think I should try the 3-4 pills per day for a week or two first and see what happens? I am a little lady... only 5'2 and 110 lbs, and I know that I have the capability to produce a lot of milk, so do you think there's a chance it could work? Or would I just not be seeing any results and therefore be wasting those pills?

I was thinking about picking up some fenugreek and and blessed thistle tablets as well, if I can find them. How many of each should I take per day?

Thanks so much!

#435 of 442 Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 AM

Most moms need a minimum of 9 pills per day...that's what I was taking and my LC told me to double that.

#436 of 442 Old 06-15-2012, 03:56 PM

The usual dosage of domperidone for insufficient milk supply is 20 mg (two 10 mg tablets) four times a day for three to eight weeks. Increased milk production can occur within 24 hours, but generally it takes three to four days, and maximum effect is reached in two to three weeks (Newman, 1998).

www.bfar.org/AWHONNdpd.com

Hope this helps!

Tanya Phillips, IBCLC

#437 of 442 Old 06-23-2012, 09:47 AM

At the moment i'm taking 3x3 tablets a day, it has def helped, in the beginning I could only pump 60ml every three hours, now it's about 90ml.  I'm still falling short by up to 200ml a day though, what would be the next step, 3x4 tablets a day?

Here (Belgium) it's not really accepted to take it for more than 2 weeks and I have been told to wean off it but I think i'm going to keep going!

Good weekend all!

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

#438 of 442 Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM

Hi everyone! This thread came up in a google search, and I just joined.

I've read through the last 10 pages, and have a question for you helpful mamas.

Does anyone know/ have any experience with the effects of Dom on future fertility?

I am 6 months into taking it with my almost 7 month old son. I have enough to make it through to a year- that is my goal. I am taking 60/day, thinking of upping it to 80-  as it is, I am still only producing about half of what he takes (but I have become ok with that).

Anyhow, on researching domperidone and future fertility, I came across one story where a TTC lady found her prolactin levels to be permanently elevated to a level that prevented her from ovulating. However, she had been taking it for 6 years for GI issues.

I already had ttc issues- PCOS and ovulation problems required for us to go to stimming meds (shots) and IUI, it took several years. My AMH levels are low as well, meaning low ovarian reserve.

My goal is to BF to a year, lose the dang weight (haven't gained any PP, but just CANNOT lose it on the dom), and try TTC again about 4 months after stopping the meds.

Have others experienced trouble after dom? I think I see a few people on here who used it with their older children, and went on to conceive again, right? I am just suddenly nervous after reading that one story.  The other part of me thinks that it actually may be a good thing- a sudden drop in prolactin after stopping the meds may force my body to ovulate on its own, something I have never done before.

Any insight is MUCH appreciated!! :)

#439 of 442 Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Do you know how much the person was taking for GI issues?  I've never heard of anyone having fertility issues because of it.  Anecdotely, I haven't gotten my period back and DS is 17 month but he DOES nurse around the clock.  I am still taking 60mg a day.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#440 of 442 Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 AM

I can't find that it says.... here is the link (below).

This is a few years old and she never comes back to say if she resolved it.

If you read the responses, she expands more and says that the constantly elevated levels caused premature menopause, made her ovaries shrink and caused ovarian failure, and shrunk her uterus.

Scary stuff!!

I want more than anything to BF my son, even the little bit that we are, but not at the sacrifice of future fertility.

I was prescribed 90/day by my doctor, but only took 60 and saw results. I have since purchased enough from inhousepharmacy to last me to 1 year at 70-80/day.

http://www.inspire.com/sweetm79/journal/domperidone-infertility-frustration/

It is the only such story I have found; it could be that her problems were completely unrelated.

#441 of 442 Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillers View Post

I already had ttc issues- PCOS

I can't answer the question you have asked- I haven't even started taking dom, yet. This September, I'll be taking it as soon as my 3rd baby is born. However, the other thing my midwife has recommended is More Milk Special Blend. In my research, I have read it specifically recommended for women with PCOS and IGT (I have IGT). I just wanted to pass that along to you. The lactation consultants my midwife has spoken with says MMSB works well in addition to dom.
#442 of 442 Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 PM

thanks I will look into it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page