FAQ: Domperidone (Motilium) - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i wont take full doses of either together with the other. no way. but while weaning off one, i will slowly wean onto another.
however, never again will i do shatavari. TANKED my minisule supply.
thank dog domperidone works so great for me

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 12:22 AM

Is it okay to take fluconazole with domperidone?

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 07-18-2008, 02:19 AM

svmaine - thanks for the heads up. I had no idea! I think I'll just stick with Domperidone for now.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 AM

with all my med interaction questions i call the pharmacy. just ask if there are any known bad interactions between whichever drug, and motillium.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
Is it okay to take fluconazole with domperidone?
I sure hope so! I've been doing it for a few days now!

Seriously, a pharmacy won't be able to tell you in this country, because domperidone isn't in their databases, because it's not approved here.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:04 PM

loraxc: it never occurred to me to question, but I took them together for a 15 day round and didn't have any side effects
Old 07-18-2008, 08:56 PM

Hello all you lovely ladies!

I have to tell all of you...I am totally new to this and am so impressed with how willing everyone is to help each other through the rough spots that come with being a loving mama! I have been following this thread for almost two weeks now and decided to order some domperidone for myself since it has worked for so many of you. Just got it today and am sooo excited to try it! I have been a low supplier from the beginning and am hoping that this will be just what I need to get my supply up to par. I have been having to supplement with formula (yuck) from the begining, but fortunately very, very little. About 3oz. a day or so. I am currently also taking fluconazole for thrush and fenugreek tablets. I am wondering if I should start with a lower dose of dom, especially since my supply isn't really that low. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:18 PM

There are dosage amounts all thru this thread, and I believe page one may be the best for that.

Personally, I would tell you to start with two 10 mg tablets, 3 times a day. You can go up from there a bit. The reason you don't want to just start taking four or five of them at one time is because you run the risk of a headache, plus as you say you don't have a huge milk supply issue, and the least you have to take of any drug for the effect is best.

I started with two, 3x day. I noticed a little change, but not much. I went to three, 3x day after about 2 weeks... then four, 3x day and the most I ever took was five, 3x day. However, I've run out and more is on the way and I intend to only take four, 3x day now.

Oh, and it definitely works. Much better than Reglan because Reglan has MAJOR side effects. I didn't even have a headache with Dom.

CC
Old 07-20-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post
Yeah.
me too. lucky us.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

Old 07-20-2008, 02:13 PM

Ok- so I've been taking 160mg/day of the dom and 4 fenugreek capsules 4x/day. But the gassiness is killing us. My poor daughter smells So, what other herbal glactagogue can I use? I've been thinking of goat's rue and ??? Anyone have experience?

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 PM

So THAT explains the headaches I was getting!

I feel like my experience on dom has been really inconsistent. Sometimes my supply seems increased; sometimes not. I haven't been paying much attention to when I take it relative to when I'm eating. Maybe if I start being more consistent about that it will be more consistent.

The LC I saw said I could expect a 20-30% increase in supply, which I do see on good days. But that's only like 1/4 ounce per pumping session in my case of low, low supply. I haven't noticed any difference in how much formula I have to feed my daughter, and she is still on the skinny side... I can often get through from between 11pm-1am until 8:30am with her only breastfeeding though, which is nice.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc4npg View Post
Personally, I would tell you to start with two 10 mg tablets, 3 times a day. You can go up from there a bit. The reason you don't want to just start taking four or five of them at one time is because you run the risk of a headache, plus as you say you don't have a huge milk supply issue, and the least you have to take of any drug for the effect is best.

CC
Thanks so much for the great advise. I've been taking it for almost a week and am definitley seeing results... No more formula!

Do you or anyone else out there know if it is safe to have anesthesia while taking domperidone/motilium? I have a surgery scheduled for tomorrow and have pretty much no guidance on this since my midwife and the ob that she works with don't even know what it is...

Thanks!!!

Okay, I went for surgery this morning and everything was fine...so I guess anesthesia is okay. But I also have to share what the dumb nurse said to me... I was told that I would be in surgery for about three hours and I still felt pretty full after nursing DD so I decided to pump the rest of my milk so that my husband would have somthing to feed her while I was gone. After pumping almost 3.5oz I was feeling really proud of myself and the dom . So anyway, she walks in and looks at the bottle and says "That's all you got?!" I wanted to smack her :. I'm also pretty paranoid about making enough milk so now I will probably lose some sleep... Oh well.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlymom View Post

Okay, I went for surgery this morning and everything was fine...so I guess anesthesia is okay. But I also have to share what the dumb nurse said to me... I was told that I would be in surgery for about three hours and I still felt pretty full after nursing DD so I decided to pump the rest of my milk so that my husband would have somthing to feed her while I was gone. After pumping almost 3.5oz I was feeling really proud of myself and the dom . So anyway, she walks in and looks at the bottle and says "That's all you got?!" I wanted to smack her :. I'm also pretty paranoid about making enough milk so now I will probably lose some sleep... Oh well.
What a snotty nurse! I rarely get that much, ever... let alone after nursing. That woman has no clue.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:44 AM

Does anyone know someone with Depression due to the Dom? I don't but I know some are worried there is a connection.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 07-31-2008, 04:07 AM

i have ppd but i dont attribute it to the dom.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 PM

I think it is Reglan that can cause depression symptoms. I have a long family history of depression so my lc recommended the Domperidone and advised against the Reglan.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa View Post
Does anyone know someone with Depression due to the Dom? I don't but I know some are worried there is a connection.

Domp is not supposed to cross the blood-brain barrier, so it is not supposed to lead to depression the way Reglan does. However, nothing is 100%, so it is hard to say in every case.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM

Really informative - can't WAIT to give this a go. Got some on order. Thanks SO MUCH!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 AM

I am worried.

I thought I had enough Dom to get me through a move coming in 2 weeks but I was wrong. I will be out in just 5 days. I will not have an address till September 1st. I can not order as I normally would as chances are it would not get forwarded to me. I am feeling so lost. How could I have let this happen. Without dom I will dry in days.

Add to this that my 9 month old just about refused to breastfeed today. She was filling up on solids (Thanks Daddy) and when I nursed her she would turn away and suck on her fingers and sprayed us both with milk. It was sad to have a rare full breast and have baby not want it. Funny though to see her head soaked in milk! -sigh- I hope this was an odd day and not some kind of nursing strike or worse.....

I am worried!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 08-15-2008, 02:13 AM

Thank you so so much for the offer but I have managed a temp solution! I am sorry it did not work for you!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 AM

I'm so glad to have finally found this thread! It would have been fantastic to find a month ago when I was first starting Motillum, but at least I had all of the info on Kellymom to help guide me though how to obtain it and doseage.

Just wanted to share my experience with it so far: BF my older ds for almost 3 years with no problem so when baby #2 was born 6 months ago it really took me by surprise when we started having some major supply issues. It was very clear that I wasn't producing enough for her and after a while I began to realize that she was always hungry nor did she gain any weight in between 3-5 months.

I tried pretty much everything- enough fenugreek to make me smell like a maple syrup factory, rented a hospital pump, blessed thistle, you name it. The fenugreek worked for a while, but after a few weeks all of a sudden my supply plummeted again.

I was able to get some leftover domperidone from someone who had extra. I've been taking 30 mg 3 times each day. Within 2-3 days I noticed a slightly more "full" feeling and after a week my breasts got really heavy and full just like when my milk first came in. Dd has gone from being fussy at the breast to now being very content as she gulps. I can hear her swallow for the first time in months. She's gone from having dirty diapers once a week or so to blowouts 2-3 times daily.

I work 16 hour shifts twice a week. Before starting the medication I would pump every 2 hours at work and if I was lucky I might get 4-6 ounces. Now I'm easily pumping 25-30+ ounces during my shifts!

The only downside for me so far is that I feel slightly engorged much of the time and I get uncomfortable if I can't nurse/pump very frequently. This lead to some pretty badly clogged ducts last week. Since my supply was so great and I've stored up an impressive freezer stash in the last few weeks I decided to see what would happen if I stopped taking it. Unfortunately, within two days my supply dropped down to almost nothing again so I've started taking it again and once my supply is back up I'm going to see if I can slowly reduce my dose but probably not quite entirely again. I'll happily learn to live with a slight oversupply issue as opposed to the low supply issue that has given us so much trouble (and lots of tears and crying from me!) these past few months.

My dd had her 6 month appointment recently. I took in some info on domperidone and the box of Motillum that I've been taking. Our pediatrician is fantastic and extremely supportive of BFing so she was happy to write me a prescription. And it turns out that we have a small local pharmacy that is in-network with my insurance company AND has a compounding pharmacist on staff so I'll be able to get it for free now! (At least till the end of the year- in January our $4k deductable kicks back in and it will all have to be out of pocket, but until then I plan on making sure that I get every little bit of domperidone that my insurance company will pay for. It's also why I want to slowly wean myself back to the smallest dose that works for me in hopes that I'll end up with enough extra to tide me past the end of the year. )

So far I couldn't be happier with my experience with domperidone and at this rate, my freezer will be full very soon. If that happens I'll most likely end up donating any extra milk which will just make it all come full circle since I relied on some donated milk for dd before the domperidone!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

for you Wabi Sabi! I think slowly reducing the dose sounds like a great plan.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have access to Shatavari? That might work in a pinch.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Old 11-04-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlymom View Post
Thanks for the support!

Wow, if I pump 3.5oz I'm feeling pretty damn cool! I have twins and am taking reglan, going to switch to domperidone soon so I can take it long term. My twins are three months now, getting 50% formula, which just sucks. Can't wait to have them JUST have breastmilk, here's hoping the dom works well.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:42 PM

"I work 16 hour shifts twice a week. Before starting the medication I would pump every 2 hours at work and if I was lucky I might get 4-6 ounces. Now I'm easily pumping 25-30+ ounces during my shifts!"

WOW! That is SO awesome! I work 12 hour shifts (RN) and pump three times...and I get (boohoo) about six ounces total. And I have twins, so that's NOTHING compared to what they eat. My son eats about 4oz at a time, daughter 5oz..and every three to four hours.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

again!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 PM

I just wanted to say that I find this thread really helpful. I ordered some Dom and I'm hoping it will be here soon. Funny enough, I have taken it before for stomach motility issues. I wasn't breastfeeding at the time, but it did help my stomach without any side effects. This was at a time where I could get it at a compounding pharmacy. Shortly after I stopped taking it, I got a notice from the pharmacy that they could no longer produce it. I never even knew you could get it without an Rx from other countries. As a side note, I have taken Reglan as well for stomach problems and it was awful. It made me crazy. I felt like I had to go, go, go and do everything under the sun. I used to have severe stomach problems and they gave me a big dose of Reglan at the hospital one night too. I didn't know I was having a reaction to it at the time, but it was terrible. Dom didn't have any of those effects on me. And it's not FDA approved. Go figure.

User Tag List