Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1785 Old 11-08-2006, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsarefun View Post
Hi Gals,

Where is the low supply tribe? I need to see that.
Here is the link to the May/June thread. I don't think there is a current one. Maybe you could bump it up? Im sure others would be interested in continuing it.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...w+supply+tribe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 1785 Old 11-09-2006, 12:42 AM

ok can I just say if I see one more insinuation that EP'ing moms don't a) bond with their babies as well b) spend as much time w/ their babies as nursing moms c) the babies don't get the best breastmilk possible because their saliva doesn't contact the nipple-
I will scream.

ok. nuf said. I do know some ppl feel bonding was interrupted but that doesn't make it true in every case, yk? it really depends on what happened in each specific situation.

I am feeling like I'm really forcing myself here at 16 months. On one hand, 4 times per day is damn easier than even 6 was, but otoh, I really wish I could drop one more. DD is sleeping like crap for the past couple months at least, and I'm exhausted. I always end up having to push the last pump back so much because I'm trying to get her to go to sleep, and then it's like 1:30 or 2 when I get to bed. And my supply isn't that great the past couple days either.

I'm just afraid if I go down to 3 it won't even be worth it. I really want to get her thru flu season.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#303 of 1785 Old 11-09-2006, 01:05 AM

I feel your frustration....the latest irksome comment I ran across was something to the effect that the person was glad they hadn't gone the ep'ing route and got their baby to nurse because their baby wouldn't have gotten as much bm if they had ep'd. : While that may be true, still stings when there are so many EP'ers who struggle with supply and do supplement when necessary.

On a positive note, I did go to a fun LLL toddler meeting this morning and it's nice to feel at home/not judged for tandem errr.. pumping or whatever the equivalent to tandem nursing is. For me it was also good to see/feel how far I've come with the grief aspect of losing the bf'ing relationship because it wasn't quite so hard to see so many nursing mamas and babes around my dd2's age.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#304 of 1785 Old 11-09-2006, 02:57 AM

Try not feel affended that anyone here is saying that bf is better or than pumping. I know it is hard because sometimes we get so worn out doing this day after day. Breastmilk is breastmilk whichever way you look at it. I think the gals are just saying that it is tough to express. It is time consuming. I am doing it too and wish I could get as much milk as you gals are getting. I think the gals are saying whatever it takes, try and get baby to the breast because pumping is hard work. It really is and I think we all need gold medals after this is all said and done. I too hope to make it through another cold/flu season. That is what is keeping me pumping along over here. Us gals just have to keep encouraging one and keep pumping along. I think you gals rock. Us newbies to the Pumping Tribe need your expert advice.

P.S. It is hoakie though about saliva deal. I had to chew on that one. I think from time to time, just put babies saliva on the breast to create immunity. Pretty simple huh? (-:
#305 of 1785 Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 AM

I really don't know about the whole bfing bonding thing. My dd did bf on and off for 3.5 months. Never a full feed or anything. (she was unable to stay awake, bfing was so much work for a low birthweight jaundiced baby) She completely quit at 3.5 months. She screamed whenever I tried prior to her quitting. So I never got the warm fuzzies from bfing. Believe me, that didn't help us to bond. We were not able to bond untill the stress of bfing was gone. Then we bonded just fine. Thats just my experience.

Yes, we do spend a lot of time pumping. But its not like we put our babies in a different room in a playpen or anything. My dd plays next to me or sits on my lap. Lately we have been reading books together while I pump. (during the times she is awake when I pump, I do try to pump while she naps)

I don't understand why putting baby's saliva on our nipples before pumping periodically wouldn't give the same effect as bfing when it comes to immunity. I will keep doing it. DD is 12.5 months old and has never been sick, even when myself or dh has been. So SOMETHING is keeping her well. I believe its the milk.

I do try to encourage others to bf instead of ep, but as I know, that isn't always possibe. All we can do is our best. And if that means pumping what we can and then supplementing the rest, that is great. Thats a whole lot more than what a lot of people do. EPing is a long hard road to follow, and I would hate to see someone think its easy, not put baby to breast ever, then regret their decision a few months down the road. I don't know if I offended anyone, and if I did, I am sorry. I just don't want to see anyone EPing if there is an easier way to do things. (bf) Of course I think it is a great thing to do when bfing isn't possible, or I wouldn't be doing it myself.

bri, try not to become discouraged. You made it 16 months already! Thats so much longer than many people bf. You only have a few months to go to make it through flu/cold/rsv season. You can make it! Hang in there!
#306 of 1785 Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
I feel your frustration....the latest irksome comment I ran across was something to the effect that the person was glad they hadn't gone the ep'ing route and got their baby to nurse because their baby wouldn't have gotten as much bm if they had ep'd. :
I recently posted something to this effect in another thread - however I would never want to imply that EPing is lesser than BFing. I just know from experience that EPing is hard work and I personally found it so stressful that I would never have been able to keep it up for the two years that I wanted my son to have BM. So given that my ds didn't have latch problems, the problems were all related to my pain - so I just kept at it until I could tolerate him nursing most of the time. I know many moms do pump for years, and I have nothing but respect for them, however, I don't think it's something most people would choose to do, once they knew what was involved. I think EPing moms are the best
#307 of 1785 Old 11-09-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
ok can I just say if I see one more insinuation that EP'ing moms don't a) bond with their babies as well b) spend as much time w/ their babies as nursing moms c) the babies don't get the best breastmilk possible because their saliva doesn't contact the nipple-
I will scream.
Go ahead and scream 'cause it is frustrating.

It bothers me when non-EP'ers make comments like this. They don't realize the sacrifices we make to give our babies mother's milk. I don't feel like I didn't bond with my baby as well, but I do feel like I didn't bond with my baby as quickly. Now I spend the same amount of time with my babe since I only pump when she's asleep. But up until about 6-8 months I was pumping while she was awake and would have to keep her in a saucer or other baby containing object while I was pumping a few times a day. Therefore, I was not spending as much time in contact with my babe. This is part of the problem of EP'ing. That saliva crap is total bullsh*t! I make a ton of milk and haven't had any saliva on my nips for months.

Also, and I'll put my flamesuit on, EP'ing is not as good as breastfeeding. Yes, the nutritional aspect is just about as good, but it would be a lie to say it's just as good. It's the next best thing and is WAY more difficult than bf. By saying EP'ing is just as good, we may give moms the wrong idea.

So go ahead and scream at me and go ahead and vent. I totally understand your frustrations and this thread is for support of EP'ing, not advocating.
#308 of 1785 Old 11-09-2006, 03:55 PM

I agree. I think EP mothers are pretty incredible! Many women would just give up and go to 100% formula. I know many of those moms personally. They are wonderful moms. They just didn't know there were options such as EP or using a lact-aid. Many of the women were misinformed by their pediatricans and not informed about the full spectrum of bm immunities. I think with the internet and forums like this, women are now starting to become more aware of their options. You gals are the start of a whole new generation of bm advocates! Applause to you for all your dedication and hard work!
#309 of 1785 Old 11-11-2006, 03:38 AM

Hi! I posted in the wrog place, just under breastfeeding. I had questioned how many Epers pumped in the night if their babes slept thru the night?

Our back story...DD#1...terible birth experience...horrible...hospital and issues, but wonderful breastfeeding. She nursed on tap and was very stubborn about not taking a bottle, finally at about 4 monthes she took a bottle(of pumped milk) but still mainly nursed until about 9 monthes during pregnancy with dd#2 when my supply dipped. I wasn't terribly happy about that, but felt we did the best we could, together, and since I have suffered from hyperemesis during 3 pregnancies, didn't expend a lot of effort trying to keep up with pumping or anything to keep her to breast.
DD#2...mostly awesome homebirth. HAd a very very weak suckand thrush horribly painful nursing for both of us. We have the thrush I would say mostly gone, but she has never been able to properly latch, and even bottle feeding her can take more then an hour since she has such a weak suck. Shw is growing like a weed, at her last weigh at 7 weeks she was 11 lbs, up from 7lbs 2oz at birth, she just refuses to latch. We have seen two lc's, our midwives, and our family dr. So. I am pumping, and right now my supply is great, usually average about 60 oz per day, sometimes a few more, which has been enough to feed both DD#1 and DD#2...DD#2, at 2.5 monthes old has been sleeping thru the night since about a month...don't ask me how, or why, but she has been, so I have only been pumping from about 7am until about 12:am, about 5 times per day, about 15 minutes each time, or until milk stops streaming and I have been reading this thread and I am scared that since I don't pump as long or as often my supply will die...and I a terrified of that happeneing...since right now we can't afford milk/formula for either girl if I stopped pumping.

I wondered if there was a rule of thumb for how often or for how long you needed to pump to keep up your suply.
Thanks

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#310 of 1785 Old 11-11-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiannancy View Post
Hi! I posted in the wrog place, just under breastfeeding. I had questioned how many Epers pumped in the night if their babes slept thru the night?

Our back story...DD#1...terible birth experience...horrible...hospital and issues, but wonderful breastfeeding. She nursed on tap and was very stubborn about not taking a bottle, finally at about 4 monthes she took a bottle(of pumped milk) but still mainly nursed until about 9 monthes during pregnancy with dd#2 when my supply dipped. I wasn't terribly happy about that, but felt we did the best we could, together, and since I have suffered from hyperemesis during 3 pregnancies, didn't expend a lot of effort trying to keep up with pumping or anything to keep her to breast.
DD#2...mostly awesome homebirth. HAd a very very weak suckand thrush horribly painful nursing for both of us. We have the thrush I would say mostly gone, but she has never been able to properly latch, and even bottle feeding her can take more then an hour since she has such a weak suck. Shw is growing like a weed, at her last weigh at 7 weeks she was 11 lbs, up from 7lbs 2oz at birth, she just refuses to latch. We have seen two lc's, our midwives, and our family dr. So. I am pumping, and right now my supply is great, usually average about 60 oz per day, sometimes a few more, which has been enough to feed both DD#1 and DD#2...DD#2, at 2.5 monthes old has been sleeping thru the night since about a month...don't ask me how, or why, but she has been, so I have only been pumping from about 7am until about 12:am, about 5 times per day, about 15 minutes each time, or until milk stops streaming and I have been reading this thread and I am scared that since I don't pump as long or as often my supply will die...and I a terrified of that happeneing...since right now we can't afford milk/formula for either girl if I stopped pumping.

I wondered if there was a rule of thumb for how often or for how long you needed to pump to keep up your suply.
Thanks
Hi! Welcome to our group! Im sorry you are having bfing difficulties. I know how bad it sucks. Have you seen an IBCLC about that? It may not be too late to get your baby bfing. It would be easier than pumping long term. Mine quit trying to bf at all around 3.5 months old. It sucks!

It sounds like you have a great supply. That is wonderful that you can feed both babies. The LC I used to see told me to pump every 2-3 hours (2 during the day, and 3 during the night) for the first 3-4 months to establish my supply.

At 2.5 months pp, your body is still producing milk from hormones. At 3-4 months, you don't have all of those pp hormones and its more about supply and demand. Removing milk frequently = making more milk. So I would try to get a few more pumps in to try and keep your great supply. At around 4 months or so you can slowly drop from the 8-10 times a day and still keep your current supply.

I am pumping every 3ish hours now both day and night, at 12.5 months pp. I still make about 40 oz a day. I used to make abou 80ish a day until a severe case of mastitis. I pump for 20 minutes at a time, since I always have another letdown at around 18 minutes. But everyone is different when it comes to how long you should pump.

Its great that you are willing to pump for your children. You are doing an awesome thing for them. Welcome to our group!
#311 of 1785 Old 11-11-2006, 01:00 PM

Welcome to the group!

I ditched my middle of the night pumping around 5 months since dd had been sleeping through the night since 3 months. My supply wasn't that adversely affected. I'd say if you're making just the right amount of milk for your babe, then you might want to add in one more pump to give yourself some padding. If your babe all the sudden increases the amount of milk they're eating, then you might be stuck. It seems to be a little more difficult to increase your supply with a pump then with a baby.
#312 of 1785 Old 11-21-2006, 07:01 AM

Hi EPers,
I had a question for you and anyone else that wanted to chime in. I think my supply is finally starting to go. I'll have EPed for 11 mo. this Thursday, and for the past week or so, I've been getting 1-2 oz less per pumping session, and can't seem to get back up to normal amounts. I've stepped up the oatmeal and water, and I'm going to try some Fenugreek again (helped to get the supply up in the beginning.)

My question is: when do you think it would be not "worth it" to pump anymore? When I dip below 1 oz per pumping session? Or should I look at the whole day's pumping supply? Just wondering- thinking long term. It's a slow process, so I hope I'll be able to keep her an "exclusively BF" baby until her 1st birthday in a month. What do you guys think?
#313 of 1785 Old 11-21-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstress View Post
Hi EPers,
I had a question for you and anyone else that wanted to chime in. I think my supply is finally starting to go. I'll have EPed for 11 mo. this Thursday, and for the past week or so, I've been getting 1-2 oz less per pumping session, and can't seem to get back up to normal amounts. I've stepped up the oatmeal and water, and I'm going to try some Fenugreek again (helped to get the supply up in the beginning.)

My question is: when do you think it would be not "worth it" to pump anymore? When I dip below 1 oz per pumping session? Or should I look at the whole day's pumping supply? Just wondering- thinking long term. It's a slow process, so I hope I'll be able to keep her an "exclusively BF" baby until her 1st birthday in a month. What do you guys think?
I look at the whole day's supply. My supply is pretty wacky right now. Sometimes I get a total of one ounce per pump session, other times I get 6 oz. I can't figure out why. So I look at the whole day, and I usually still get the same amount over the day, regardless of what I get each individual pump session.

I think you did great by making it to 11 months! It would be great if you can keep her on ebm alone until her 1st birthday, but if you can't, there isn't much else you can do!

I read it only takes 4 oz a day of ebm to get the immune benefits from breastmilk. So as long as you can produce 4 oz a day, your baby is benefiting a lot.
#314 of 1785 Old 11-21-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
I read it only takes 4 oz a day of ebm to get the immune benefits from breastmilk. So as long as you can produce 4 oz a day, your baby is benefiting a lot.
I didn't know that Crystal! You're chock full of useful information.
#315 of 1785 Old 11-27-2006, 05:57 PM

How was everyone's holiday? Do any of you travel with your babe and pump? We did, and find it so challenging and miserable, generally speaking. We can't go anywhere or do anything while at the in-laws, due to my having to pump every few hours (mainly because they won't communicate or plan or take into account my schedule..). People always wake up the baby, by being too noisy, which is also frustrating.

I am also so tired of my mom being so unsupportive of pumping. She knows it is a burden, so she is always saying "you have done it long enough" (she said this at 4 weeks), and (my favorite) "you had formula and survived." I am like, this is about thriving, not merely surviving. She takes it as criticism. Argghhh. I really have gotten to where I want' to hide in a hole away from family. None of them helps us, (and I NEED HELP) but always has something to say about parenting.
#316 of 1785 Old 11-27-2006, 07:18 PM

My holiday was like yours Swirly, mostly staying at home (I traveled to my in-laws in Dallas) because of the pumping schedule. However they are really supportive of the pumping and never made me feel bad about it. Even my FIL who I don't think really gets it does whatever he can to support me. I am so lucky.

What really was bad about the holidays is when we were coming home. My IL's dropped DH and I at curbside check-in and that's when I realized I FORGOT MY PUMP AT THEIR HOUSE. They live an hour away from the airport so there was no time to go back to get it, and we couldn't get a later flight, either. I went into the airport bathroom and just started sobbing.

Luckily I contacted a place that rents pumps and explained my situation. They were going to be closed by the time we landed at LAX but a woman offered to take the pump home and have us pick it up at her house. I am so grateful to that woman. I had to go eleven hours without pumping and it was pretty bad (well, really bad) but I made it. I was wearing this thick sweatshirt that was totally soaked. I mean you could have wrung out that thing. I was worried my milk supply was going to take a hit, but so far it seems the same.

Moral of my story: EP'ers always carry a hand pump with you at all times in case of emergency.

How was everyone else's holiday?
#317 of 1785 Old 11-27-2006, 07:49 PM

Kath--great reminder. We flew in October and for some reason my pump (purely yours) would not work on the flight and I only got two ounces. I was kicking myself for not bringing the manual attachment for it.

Swirly--I'm so sorry your mom isn't more supportive. At dd's 9 months checkup we saw a different ped and she was the first to actually give me some positive feedback for pumping for her. For me, I think the neutral reaction irks me just as much as negative feedback would. *hugs*

I'm having major cycle related supply issues and it's driving me nuts. :

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#318 of 1785 Old 11-27-2006, 09:26 PM

We also traveled to visit our families over Thanksgiving. My mother gets so annoyed by me having to pump. She also thinks I should quit, that I did it long enough. (now 13 months) She has been telling me that since dd was 2 weeks old. : Gee, Im sorry that I inconvienence you by not being able to shop longer on black friday. She gets annoyed when I have to stop to pump in the car, and I am not finished by the time we get to our next destination. I am so thankful that my dh is supportive of it atleast.

Kathteach,

I can't imagine going 11 hours without pumping. You must have been so uncomfy! Im glad your supply didn't take a dive after that.
#319 of 1785 Old 11-28-2006, 11:48 AM

My dh melted my pump parts last night.
I have a cold and wanted to go to bed early. I washed the parts, and put them on the stove to boil. He said he would take them off the stove for me in 20 minutes. He forgot. They melted. I have a spare set, but they are not the right size and hurt like mad. My left nipple is bleeding. I am not happy, it will take a few days for the new set to be delivered. I know he didn't mean it, but this sucks!!!
#320 of 1785 Old 11-28-2006, 01:12 PM

KathTeach - I forgot my pump once also, but we were driving so we just went back. It added about 90 minutes to the trip, which is bad enough with a crabby baby - but 11 hours w/o pumping! You poor thing. I am glad that store got you a pump even after hours.

Gooey, that is awful! Is there anything we could do for you? Fed ex some parts? I hate it that you are bleeding and have to wait a few days for new parts. We have an LC in town who will deliver parts - might you have something similar that a hospital may know about?
#321 of 1785 Old 11-28-2006, 03:01 PM

Ouch Gooey. How awful. I hope your parts get delivered quickly!!!
#322 of 1785 Old 11-28-2006, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the kind words and offers, ladies! The bleeding has stopped, and pumping is getting to be more comfortable now. Lets hope it stays that way!
#323 of 1785 Old 11-29-2006, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly View Post
Do any of you travel with your babe and pump? We did, and find it so challenging and miserable, generally speaking. We can't go anywhere or do anything while at the in-laws, due to my having to pump every few hours (mainly because they won't communicate or plan or take into account my schedule..)I am also so tired of my mom being so unsupportive of pumping. She knows it is a burden, so she is always saying "you have done it long enough" (she said this at 4 weeks), and (my favorite) "you had formula and survived." I am like, this is about thriving, not merely surviving.
That sucks your mom and other family aren't more supportive of your pumping. That must be really difficult. It gets easier to pump, no matter the schedule when you are able to pump less. I'm now down to four pumps a day and finally feel like I don't have to be constantly worrying about my boobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathteach View Post
Moral of my story: EP'ers always carry a hand pump with you at all times in case of emergency.
Thanks for the tip. We're going to Puerto Rico for three weeks less than a month now and I'm TERRIFIED of my pump breaking while we're there. I have a POS that is about 6 years old and has recently started to make strange sounds. I've been thinking about either getting a new one or renting a pump and bringing it on the trip and handpumping on the plane rides.

What do y'all think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
My dh melted my pump parts last night. I have a cold and wanted to go to bed early. I washed the parts, and put them on the stove to boil. He said he would take them off the stove for me in 20 minutes. He forgot. They melted. I have a spare set, but they are not the right size and hurt like mad.
That was you on EP'ers? So sorry that happened. My dh would totally do something like that.
#324 of 1785 Old 11-29-2006, 09:48 PM

Mamanurse,

Thats cool you are going to Puerto Rico! I would get a hand pump "just in case". You never know what could happen. And who knows how easy it will be to get a replacement. Also... take extra parts. Not only did my dh melt my parts yesterday, but my dd chewed through my white membrane today. Thankfully, I still had the white membranes from the melted set. They didn't get ruined. I don't know if its a hint that I should HUTH or what with the luck I have the last 2 days.
#325 of 1785 Old 11-30-2006, 06:18 PM

Hi ladies,

I could use a little support today. I don't know why, I just feel down. My supply is down a little bit, maybe it's just my period, who knows. I am just so tired of pumping lately. There is a thread on MDC (I'm not going to say where b/c I don't want to start anything) that just really bummed me out. It made me feel like I am not really breastfeeding. Bri had some intelligent replies but the whole thing just made me feel like caca all over again for failing at bfing. I just wish I had tried harder. I am tired of feeling that way. I am tired of feeling jealous when I see a mom breastfeeding her child. I'm tired of being angry. Sometimes I wish my year mark would just be here already, and that's a horrible way to think, just wishing for my baby's first year to speed by because of...pumping? Anyway thanks for listening. I just had to get it out, and no one really understands except for my poor husband who has heard it all a hundred and one times. Thanks.:
#326 of 1785 Old 11-30-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Hi ladies,

I could use a little support today. I don't know why, I just feel down. My supply is down a little bit, maybe it's just my period, who knows. I am just so tired of pumping lately. There is a thread on MDC (I'm not going to say where b/c I don't want to start anything) that just really bummed me out. It made me feel like I am not really breastfeeding. Bri had some intelligent replies but the whole thing just made me feel like caca all over again for failing at bfing. I just wish I had tried harder. I am tired of feeling that way. I am tired of feeling jealous when I see a mom breastfeeding her child. I'm tired of being angry. Sometimes I wish my year mark would just be here already, and that's a horrible way to think, just wishing for my baby's first year to speed by because of...pumping? Anyway thanks for listening. I just had to get it out, and no one really understands except for my poor husband who has heard it all a hundred and one times. Thanks.:
Im sorry you are having a rough day. I have days like that, too. I think I know what thread you are talking about. I found it a bit upsetting, too. Almost like someone is saying "haha, Im doing better than you are" I feel like its being rubbed in my face that I can't bf from the tap, and what I am doing isn't anywhere near good enough, and I'm a bad mommy b/c I could not feed dd from the tap. Just remember... What you are doing is 1,000 times more work. How many bf'ers would really consider EPing if their baby could not latch for whatever reason? And how many would actually stick with it more than 2 weeks?

About feeling jealous over seeing a mom bf her baby... I cried today when I watched Guiding Light. A new mom on there was bfing her newborn. It sucks. There is a yahoo group, called breastfeeding grief. There are other mama's on there who mourn the loss of a bfing relationship. I post there when feeling especially down. Maybe you can join?

I, too, seemed to wish away my baby's first year due to pumping. That first year is now gone, and I am finding myself wishing the second year would hurry up. I wish there was a way to change that.

I wish I could help you with having a crappy pumping day. The stress and greif feelings may be messing with your letdowns. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day pumping wise, and emotionally for you.

Keep on pumping. You are a great mom for being willing to pump for your little one. You chose to take the long, difficult road of EPing when bfing didn't work. Your baby will benefit a lifetime b/c of your loving choice. Hang in there.

Gooey
#327 of 1785 Old 11-30-2006, 06:51 PM

ack! i know exactly what you mean kathteach. i encountered a similar (maybe the same?) thread and had an awful day on sunday/monday. dh had to give me about 30 pep talks about small-minded people and how they would probably feel differently were they in my (our) shoes...etc., etc., etc...

so, hi mamas! i figure i've been putting off this thread long enough. it's been 7 weeks now, to the day, that dd began her nursing strike. i remember less than a week into this i had read the 40 day strike link on kellymom and thought that i would just die if this strike lasted that long. well, i'm at 50 days and i'm still alive, and that's always a good thing. every day holds something different for me emotionally. it's especially hard b/c my 2 best friends have dds who bf. it always makes me feel sad to see them nurse. it takes everything in my power to not give them the "you don't know how good you have it" lecture when they have any sort of bf-related complaint. i don't want them to feel like they can't talk to me about it, but i'm always listening to them and thinking the entire time how i would gladly go through all of it and more if my dd would just nurse again!

we've tried everything, all with MINIMAL success (as in, she's nursed twice for about 2 min apiece in 7 weeks). dd's doc (a family doc.) just said he didn't know, and it would be fine to just give her formula. yuck! over 6 weeks she hasn't gained any weight, and i think she may have even lost an ounce or two, and has been chronically constipated. she's drinking an average of 25-30oz of ebm a day in addition to one small solids meal of something easily digestable. after being not listened to for 3 separate visits, i found a ped who specializes in bfing, and made an appt for monday. i'm really hoping we get somewhere with this, because to be totally honest, i've basically lost all hope that she will ever go back to the breast after this long. it's really been heart-breaking. i'd love to say more, but i have to get to the store before it gets too dark and rainy here. looking forward to chatting with you all!

kelly
#328 of 1785 Old 11-30-2006, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There is a thread on MDC (I'm not going to say where b/c I don't want to start anything) that just really bummed me out. It made me feel like I am not really breastfeeding. Bri had some intelligent replies but the whole thing just made me feel like caca all over again for failing at bfing. I just wish I had tried harder. I am tired of feeling that way. I am tired of feeling jealous when I see a mom breastfeeding her child. I'm tired of being angry.
If it's the thread I'm thinking of, I hope what I said wasn't part of what made you feel worse.

I hear you on feeling angry. I'm tired of it too. I'm not remembering how long you've been EPing. I will say that I feel a little better than I used to. Months ago, I was tired of hearing people complain about "trivial" bfing problems when I was struggling so hard to feed my baby, so I asked that the bfing challenges forum be only for "serious" problems. Now, it doens't bother me so much. However, I do still have days and moments where I actually wish some of the really ardent bfers would have horrible problems with their next baby so they would understand it's not cut and dried. :
#329 of 1785 Old 11-30-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama-a-llama View Post
However, I do still have days and moments where I actually wish some of the really ardent bfers would have horrible problems with their next baby so they would understand it's not cut and dried. :
Unfortunatly, I sometimes think the same thoughts in my head. Of course, I really don't want to see anyone struggle, but I would like for some here at MDC to understand that some people do have issues more serious than thrush or long, frequent nursing sessions.
#330 of 1785 Old 12-01-2006, 01:27 AM

It sounds as though there were some eventful Thanksgiving trips. Our families are in the area so we had a fairly easy time. You ladies are braver than I am. It's hard enough staying here and pumping - I just can't imagine travelling at this point. Hopefully it will get easier when I can drop some pumping sessions. DS has been teething and went off solids so definitely not now

I finally rented a hospital grade pump and it is helping. My pumping sessions were getting longer and longer - it was taking an increasingly long time to get my second let down and sometimes I didn't even get it. My supply has increased a bit, but the main benefit seems to be that I don't have to pump for 30 min any more. It is a huge help. My supply wasn't horrible, but still borderline. The vitamins I was taking were helping but I wasn't really comfortable taking high doses of anything for a long time and low doses didn't do much. The new pump seems to be a good solution for me and it's so wonderful to have a little more time.

I haven't read the thread but it sounds depressing and annoying. Based in the huge rant I just wrote and deleted I should probably stay away. I'm sorry it was so upsetting

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page