Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1785 Old 02-03-2007, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanineTheOT View Post
Any-who, I have a question for you seasoned pumpers:
Do you have a special pumping bra you wear to hold the pump shields? I have found myself needing to pump while driving, typing reports at work, etc, and I am getting a back-ache resting the bottles on my crossed legs and slouching over so I can use both hands. TIA!
I have used these hands free bras since the beginning when DD was in the NICU. I have 2- one for the car/work and one for home. I really recommend them.

http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/

Hope that helps.
#482 of 1785 Old 02-04-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Gooey, have you tried smoothies? Not exactly solids, but you can hide a lot of nutritious stuff in them. It's how we got mm into my older dd last winter (when I had a surplus) and she wouldn't drink it straight.
#483 of 1785 Old 02-04-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama-a-llama View Post
Gooey, have you tried smoothies? Not exactly solids, but you can hide a lot of nutritious stuff in them. It's how we got mm into my older dd last winter (when I had a surplus) and she wouldn't drink it straight.
I tried that last week. She wouldn't drink it. She is too smart for my tricks!
#484 of 1785 Old 02-04-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
I just tried giving her dark meat chicken. (I am a veggie, but desperate to get her to eat!) She only took two bites. Sigh.
It's a start! We buy the rotisserie chickens from the Publix (grocery store), and she will eat white meat now also, as long as it is juicy. I read somewhere that kids often need to have things offered to them 15 times to gt them to eat it, so keep trying. Also, have you tried goat's milk?

Aurora also loves beans - black beans, black eyed peas, lima beans, green beans, etc.

She doesn't eat much in terms of quantity yet, but I am offering solids a lot more often and it seems to be helping - maybe.
#485 of 1785 Old 02-04-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly View Post
It's a start! We buy the rotisserie chickens from the Publix (grocery store), and she will eat white meat now also, as long as it is juicy. I read somewhere that kids often need to have things offered to them 15 times to gt them to eat it, so keep trying. Also, have you tried goat's milk?

Aurora also loves beans - black beans, black eyed peas, lima beans, green beans, etc.

She doesn't eat much in terms of quantity yet, but I am offering solids a lot more often and it seems to be helping - maybe.

I guess I will try a rotisserie chicken. They are heavily spiced, maybe she will like that. My dd will eat a few green beans sometimes. Thats about the only thing (other than pizza) that she is willing to take more than one bite of.

She did eat some dinner last eve which reduced the amount of EBM she wanted! Yay!
#486 of 1785 Old 02-05-2007, 05:36 PM

Yay for the eating, Gooey!

My girls are really loving their solids. I have been getting all anxious because my supply is decreasing - about 10 ounces less on average compared to a month ago. But I realized I actually have to freeze some milk now because they have dropped their consumption so much. Weird.

I've got 7 weeks to go until they are one year adjusted age. That's when I said I would stop pumping. I am strangely anxious and ambivalent about it. I am desperate for some free time. They are 30-minute nappers and those naps are shower and/or pump time for me. I'd love them to be "watch the dust fall" time once in a while, know what I mean? But I still feel really sad about this chapter of my life ending. We aren't going to have more children (unless something bizarre happens) so I will never again be a milk-maker. I am so proud of myself for sticking with EPing, and so sad at not nursing. But calling it quits feels like it is going to be much harder than I anticipated.

Do you think it's possible to pump once or twice a day and continue on for a few more months? I'm thinking I could handle a morning pump and an evening pump, particularly if I knew it was "optional" at that point, ya know?

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#487 of 1785 Old 02-05-2007, 05:43 PM

Betsy, my feelings are the same as yours - desperate to be free of the pump, yet wistful at giving up providing my babe with such good nutrition, and knowing I will never do this again. I plan to drop pumps 1 at a time, until I hit 2-3/day and try to keep that up until she is two (maybe..).
#488 of 1785 Old 02-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Betsy--I've been feeling much the same about stopping/cutting back on pumping. I have for quite a while been pumping 5x a day and recently cut back to 4 as we are starting to phase in some whole milk. For my sanity w/ both my girls and their assorted health issues, I know I probably won't pump more than another 3ish months or so and much of that will probably be 2x a day or so. There are different schools of thought as to how to wean from the pump---either reducing sessions by # of minutes and then phasing out certain times.

I've never had a problem with clogged ducts/mastitis so ymmv. I used to pump 8/1/4/7/10 and now I do 8/2:30/7/10 I think next I'll probably drop the 10 oclock one as I get the least at that time. I think what you said about some pumps being "optional" is right on. When you are nursing a babe or a toddler, their schedule isn't so rigid. I first made the 1pm pump optional/less rigid as far as time until I was pumping later and then I moved the 4 oclock pump later and then just sort of split the difference and made those just 1 pump instead of two.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#489 of 1785 Old 02-05-2007, 08:32 PM

I understand the feelings of ambivalence. I couldn't wait for the one year mark to come! Then when it came, I wondered, well now what? My kid doesn't eat food, drink WCM or formula! But if she did, I probably would have either quit or greatly reduced my pumping.

It's funny how we can have such a love/hate relationship with our pumps. We want to quit, for our sanity health, and mental health. We want to continue b/c it is such great nutrition for our little ones. I worry once I do quit, will I be sorry a week later after my milk is pretty much gone?

I already have such terrible feelings about not being able to BF. Pumping made me feel like at least I was doing "something". Ya know? I guess part of it is that I will give up hopes of ever being able to bf. (Im not sure if I can have more children)

How can I just quit when I know it is so good for her? But I can't continue forever, either. I wanted to let dd wean on her own. Well how do you do that with pumping? Of course dd will not voluntarily give up her yummy boob juice handed to her in a cup. I see her still wanting it at 5 years old if I was still pumping. (which I won't be!) I am just so sick of pumping!

Its so hard to end this chapter of our lives. There really isn't a "right" time to quit when you are pumping. Will we be depressed about our decision to quit? Will be be super happy that we did something so great for such a long time? I am so afraid of what I may feel, that is part of the reason why I keep pumping.

Sorry to ramble on. But it is a really great topic to talk about! I wish we had some retired EPers on here to talk about what it was like for them when they quit. Maybe I should start a thread trying to get retired EPers to post over here about their experiences.
#490 of 1785 Old 02-05-2007, 09:37 PM

#491 of 1785 Old 02-06-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle524 View Post
I just got turned onto this thread, so I wanted to introduce myself. DS will be 5 weeks old tomorrow and I've been pumping since he was 4 days old. In the hospital, he either was too sleepy to nurse or too angry. I had to have someone help every single time I nursed, and each person gave me a different way to do it. None of their suggestions worked. We got home on Thursday night and on Friday, DS wouldn't eat. We had a 2 hour struggle and he nursed for 15 min. Then slept for 3 hours, then another struggle. He was small and jaundiced and hadn't eaten much in 7 hours. I was worried, didn't know what to do, I gave him a formula sample from the hospital and pumped. The ped. told me if he didn't take the breast after 15 min., offer the bottle and try again next time. He never took the breast again.

I've been pumping, but I don't have a great supply. DS always wants to be held on my chest, so it's hard to pump. Today I did one side at a time and held him on the other. I have the band so I can do it hands free, but it's little help when DS is screaming. I don't want him to cry while I pump, so sometimes I have to wait for him to sleep or DH to come home to hold him. And I'm not great about pumping in the night b/c I'm so tired - and I'm holding DS all night.

I'm trying to get my supply back up, not really sure how.

That's my story for now - I keep telling myself that I MUST get to 6 weeks. Then every week I'll say one week more. I wanted to EBF until I went back to work when DS was 14 weeks, then pump and nurse until DS was a year, but at the moment, that doesn't seem feasible. I'm trying to take it one day at a time (easier said than done).

Glad to have found you, mamas!

Hugs mamma!!
I bairly remember those early days due to the severe sleep deporvation! I totally know how you feel but it will get better.The first few months are the hardest since your baby needs to be attatched to you all day and night. Eat when you can to keep your self well nourished & relax while your baby is awake so you can pump when he is asleep. Also ask your DH to do at least one night feeding so you can pump, night pumping seems to really boost supply.

Just take it one day at a time you are doing great! As for increasing your supply their are a ton of different methods that you will read about but the basics are this...drain your breasts often and fully since a drained breast makes milk faster than a full one. Add pumps into your day where ever you can even if you only have 5-10 min to pump, anytime is better than not pumping.

What finally worked for me was pumping 30-45min 6-8 times a day for two weeks straight, my supply climbed!! But this was after I tried a ton of different other methods that just did not cut it for me, everyone is different. Dont be afraid to experiment! Also try joining the yahoo group linked in my profile, they also have a ton of really nice mammas with great pumping tips.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#492 of 1785 Old 02-06-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I just got turned onto this thread...
Good work for sticking with breastmilk for your DS! EPing is so much work, especially with a little one that doesn't want out of your arms, so congradulations to you making it work! You have the right attitude...one day, one week at a time. Hang in there though because before long it will get easier as EP becomes a norm in your life.

With that being said, since your DS is still so young I would really encourage you to not give up on nursing yet. Some thoughts... Have you been to a LC recently? Have you tried a nipple shield? Do you still try to give the breast before a bottle at times? Tried using a lact-aid or SNS? Tried different bottle nipples? (I found the Munchkin Stage 1 nipple for a standard bottle --it's very slow-- helped with transitioning to nursing much better than the other 10 or so we tried).

Just to give you some possible hope, I got one of my twins nursing at six weeks past their due date , but unfortunately still haven't been successful with the other one (so I EP for him).

Mama to DS & DD, 4 years old TWINS 
Birthing/Postpartum RN on my "free time".
#493 of 1785 Old 02-06-2007, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Michelle, and welcome. Is there a way you could get someone to come and help with baby during the day. I know he wants YOU, but if someone else could walk him around you might be able to fit in a pump. Also, the swing was my best friend in this regard for a long time. I know they're not popular on MDC, but that was how I kept him happy (and he often fell asleep) until he got old enough to play by himself well while I pumped.
#494 of 1785 Old 02-06-2007, 11:09 AM

Welcome, Michelle! It sounds like you've had a rough month+. I was pretty much going to make the same suggestions as the previous posters. EPing is hard work but it can be done, and whatever milk you can provide for your baby is so good for him! I would encourage you to give nursing another try, when you and your baby are calm and in a good mood, just try. Maybe seeing another LC would be a good idea now that you are out of the hospital. And if he doesn't latch on to the idea, we are all here for you in EP-land!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#495 of 1785 Old 02-06-2007, 04:10 PM

#496 of 1785 Old 02-06-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks - MIL came up today to help out with holding, etc. This morning DS was screaming and I was leaking like crazy, so I was going to pump one side and hold him on the other - well, he wasn't having it, so I had to stop pumping, but I had just started. I said fine, you're hungry, then nurse. And he did! I couldn't believe it. It was only for about 10 minutes and he hasn't gone back on since this morning, but still. I've gotten in a few good pumps today and will try to get 2 more before MIL leaves. DS has been sleeping most of the day (perhaps my magical breast helped! ), and I'm going to take a nap, so perhaps we'll both have renewed spirits today.
WOW: You definatly have more than hope, you have a real shot at still nursing from the tap!!! He actually latched for 10 whole mins!! that is an eternity in the land of EPers. It sounds like since you were leaking you had a let down imeditaly when he latched so he was not having to wait aroound for it.. he was like "sure I'll try this until it slows down a bit". I would go to war if I was you...I would remove all feeding devices that are easier/faster than your breasts...ie all bottles and feed using other methods, spoon, cup, seringe. Do this with the hope that without the surogent nipple that flows fast and easy he will choose your nipples over the other feeding devices being offered. It will complicate life even more in the short run but being able to bf from the tap will be a great reward! Also try pumping just enough right before you offer the breast to start to let down so that as soon as he sucks he will be rewarded with milk.

Also get a good LC, one that is a IBCLC (board certified) if possible, they are the most qualified to deal with complicated problems like yours.

All the best, and keep us posted we are all pulling for you

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#497 of 1785 Old 02-06-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I said fine, you're hungry, then nurse. And he did! I couldn't believe it. It was only for about 10 minutes and he hasn't gone back on since this morning, but still.
:
What wonderful news! Like PP said, 10 minutes is eternity for EPers! You definately have hope!!!

Everyone here has great suggestions and I hope you find something works out.

#498 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post

What finally worked for me was pumping 30-45min 6-8 times a day for two weeks straight, my supply climbed!!
I've been wondering, did you keep getting milk for 30-45 minutes or were you just trying to add extra stimulation? How did your nipples take it?

: To the rest of you EPers:
1)Do you pump till no more comes out (that's about what I do now) or do you keep pumping for a while after the milk stops flowing (well, I'll ofen go just a few minutes longer just in case a little more will let-down)?
2)Also, what is the most you've been able to produce in a day at the peak of you baby's needs?

I ask because I'm hoping to up my supply by a few more ounces, but perhaps my one bionic breast is already maxed out at ~48 oz per day (I can only produce on one side).

#499 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleLove View Post
1)Do you pump till no more comes out (that's about what I do now) or do you keep pumping for a while after the milk stops flowing (well, I'll ofen go just a few minutes longer just in case a little more will let-down)?
I set a timer. Back when I did 8 sessions a day, I did about 20 min each session, exept for 1st thing in th emorning, when I did 40. Now I do 30 min/40 first session. Can't remember how I determined that was about the right amount of time. If I'm still letting down when timer goes off, I wait until milk stops flowing, then stop.
Quote:
2)Also, what is the most you've been able to produce in a day at the peak of you baby's needs?
35 oz, with fenugreek.
#500 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 02:04 AM

#501 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
If those who nurse have "nak", what do we have for giving a bottle at the keyboard? I can't be the only one doing this...
what is "nak"?

Yeah, DH and I are both guilty of giving a bottle at the keyboard... I know its horrible. I always pump in front of MDC and type one handed (since I can only pump on one side it gives me some entertainments while I pump ).

#502 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 AM

nak = nursing at keyboard
#503 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:

1.at least 20 min. usually the milk has stopped flowing for about 5 min at that point. after I'm done pumping I hand express, in the morning that gets me an extra 1/4 to 1/2 oz, later in the day it gets much less but still worth it for that fatty hindmilk. the reason it's important to pump for a good chunk of time is to stimulate the hormones. in some cases, people have their milk supply dry up because they just weren't pumping long enough, the pump just isn't as good as the baby.

2. I'd estimate 45-50 oz was probably the most I made in a day. the peak she took was around 9 months, 35 or so oz. but for the first 4-5 months, I was pumping 7-8x per day and making way more than she needed, and freezing it all (ended up throwing it all out, wish I could've donated it).

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#504 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:

I ask because I'm hoping to up my supply by a few more ounces, but perhaps my one bionic breast is already maxed out at ~48 oz per day (I can only produce on one side).
It depends on how long I go between pumps. I pump 8-9 times a day, depending on the day of the week. I take a 4 hour stretch at night, a 4 hour stretch in the early am, a 5-6 hour stretch on the two evenings I work, and the rest of the time I pump every 2 hours. I make sure I get a minimum of 8 pumps a day in.

If its been 2 hours since my last pump, I pump for 22 minutes. I pump for 27 minutes if I go for 3 hours, and 32 minutes if I went for 4 hours. I stop at 25-27 minutes if I feel empty and I am not getting anymore, though. The evenings that I go 5-6 hours I will pump for 35 minutes. If my time is up and I just let-down or am about to, or am still spraying milk, I wait until there isn't anymore milk coming out until I stop. Even if I feel empty, I always pump for a minimum of 20 minutes. I always get another let down even when I feel empty. It doesn't always yield much, but its always good for 1/2 ounce or so even when I am empty.

My nipples don't stand up well to the pumping. They are usually scabbed and hurting. But atleast I don't blister anymore like I used to. They have toughened up quite a bit!

I am currently making about 40ish oz a day, but it varies between 37 and 44 oz it seems. DD currently takes anywhere from 35-40 oz a day. DD's intake was usually around 32 oz since she was about 4 months old. It has gone up recently. She is 15 months old. The most she ever took in a day was 47 oz. Thankfully that was only once. She does have periods where she will take 42 oz a day.

During my peak at pumping, I was making about 120 oz a day. By 3pp months, I adjusted down to about 75 oz a day. At 8 months pp, I developed very severe mastitis on the one side and moderate mastitis on the other side and dropped to about 45-50 oz. I have been slowly dropping since. My one side has always been my big producer. Currently, my one side is making about 32 oz a day and the other side makes the rest.
#505 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 11:05 AM

Yay Michelle! I hope this is the beginning of a good nursing relationship and you can become just a friendly visitor to this tribe!

Quote:
Unless I get interrupted by the babies, I always pump until no more comes out, and at least through 2 letdowns. I go for 3 if I have the time. Sometimes I "power pump" - turn off the pump 5-10 minutes to give the girls a rest and then start back up. The letdown seems to come more quickly that way than if I just kept the pump on. Or maybe it just feels that way 'cause my nipples aren't being sucked into the tubes the whole time.

Quote:
I would have to look back at my notes, but for months I was pumping around 55 ounces per day. Nowadays it's more like 40, but they are drinking less and I'm down to 3 or 4 sessions per day. I notice it fluctuates a lot more these days than when I was pumping 6-8 times.

#506 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
During my peak at pumping, I was making about 120 oz a day. By 3pp months, I adjusted down to about 75 oz a day.
Holy cannoli!!! I am totally doing the "Wayne's World" thing "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!" Seriously, that's insane. Everyone in the NICU thought I was a tremendous producer at 50 ounces with twins!

My girls have never drank anywhere near 40 ounces though, so it sounds like your baby got the right boobs. Their peak was maybe 28-30 and that was really short-lived. Now it's more like 20.

#507 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 03:00 PM

Okay, I need to try pumping for longer!

I guess i feel pretty blessed to be making 2oz an hour by pumping ~6x a day for ~10-15 minutes each time, but based on all of your info (thanks so much btw), maybe i can get more by pumping longer. I'll give it a go...granted my munchkins will let me! Also tho, with Kiana now nursing that must be adding added stimulation, so who knows, maybe 2oz per hour is all my one producing boobie can produce?

Gooey, you do give me hope! Wow, 120 oz!!! Maybe I can get up to 60 oz:

I'm back to work know and I'm a bit concerned about getting enough pumps in now. I'm an OB nurse and like this morning (I work night shift), I was due to pump at 5am and my patient starting pushing at 4:45, and what was I susposed to do, say, uh, can you hold on and not push for a while, I need to go pump? By the time her baby was born and I was certain they were both okay and I helped her get her baby nursing and I could finally take a quick break to pump it was already 6:55 and wow, was I full!

#508 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Gooey, you do give me hope! Wow, 120 oz!!! Maybe I can get up to 60 oz:

I'm back to work know and I'm a bit concerned about getting enough pumps in now. I'm an OB nurse and like this morning (I work night shift), I was due to pump at 5am and my patient starting pushing at 4:45, and what was I susposed to do, say, uh, can you hold on and not push for a while, I need to go pump? By the time her baby was born and I was certain they were both okay and I helped her get her baby nursing and I could finally take a quick break to pump it was already 6:55 and wow, was I full!
My 120 oz a day was only in the early months. I couldn't get that back, now. Have you tried any herbs or anything to increase your supply at all? I know how rough it is to try and pump at work when breaks aren't guaranteed at all. And then when you get one, it seems like you are called back when one of your patients needs something. Wouldn't it be nice if we got regular scheduled breaks like the rest of the work force?
#509 of 1785 Old 02-07-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
To the rest of you EPers:

If I keep pumping, I will keep having letdowns, so pumping until the milk stops doesn't work for me. I have just determined the time based on what keeps my supply stable. I have a letdown every 5-15 minutes. As I have dropped pumps, I increase my pumping time. Pumping for long periods of time is the only thing that kept my supply up (30+ minutes). I don't have a great supply. My peak was 26-27 oz/day, which was not enough for DD at the time (she was eating 40 oz). Now, I pump 2x/day for 50 minutes each and pump a total of 17 oz. DD eats all of that.
#510 of 1785 Old 02-09-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
what is "nak"?

Yeah, DH and I are both guilty of giving a bottle at the keyboard... I know its horrible. I always pump in front of MDC and type one handed (since I can only pump on one side it gives me some entertainments while I pump ).
Girlfriend, you need to go hands-free:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/h...e-pumping.html

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page