Exclusive Pumpers Tribe - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2006, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276
ugh. bad few days. I've only been pumping 4x per day and I wonder if that's ok.

it's just so difficult when it's late at night and I"m tired and I know I could just go to sleep instead of staying up for another pump. and lately, I have just been giving in and going to sleep instead. I hope I don't destroy my supply.
Hi,

I completely understand how you feel! I am sitting in front of the computer looking at the pump (for the past 2hrs) saying I will pump in just 5 more minuites. I mean I could already be done and in bed by now but I just cant seem to find the motivation. I go through days like this..it seems like a rollercoster. Admitily it has been better since I have found a few EPers forums and found out I am not alone. Well here goes...time to pump. booooooo:

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2006, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276
does anyone ever feel a bit *jealous* that they can't just say "Eh, gave it my best shot, formula's fine?" I am friends with soooo many ff'ers and sometimes I wish I could be ignorant and just stop EP'ing and convince myself it's not worth the hassle. But especially since dd is at risk for developmental delays I want her to have every drop of human milk proteins to build her little brain, yk? and all the many other reasons.
I totally feel that way. Ds already has developmental delays; the highest recorded IQ for his syndrome is 85. I figure he desperately needs those 8 points from bm. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, eh?
I hope your supply is fine, and that you can find motivation and energy to pump more if you need to.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:04 PM

I too, am so jealous that I can not say I gave it my best shot and just give formula. I am tired. I hate my pump already. I would run it over with my truck if dd didn't need my milk. I guess she doesn't *need* it since she doesn't have any physical/developmental problems... But I feel as long as I have the milk.. She should get it, and for me to not give it to her would be selfish. And.. If she were to become diabetic or have poor eye sight later in life I would blame myself for not giving her breastmilk. But, it won't be my fault if she were to have these issues later. If I can just suffer pumping a little longer I tell myself every day... I am 8 months into this and I am exhausted!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM
Hi,

I completely understand how you feel! I am sitting in front of the computer looking at the pump (for the past 2hrs) saying I will pump in just 5 more minuites. I mean I could already be done and in bed by now but I just cant seem to find the motivation. I go through days like this..it seems like a rollercoster. Admitily it has been better since I have found a few EPers forums and found out I am not alone. Well here goes...time to pump. booooooo:
Have you set up a hands free system? Then you can play on the computer & pump at the same time

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
Old 06-24-2006, 12:55 AM

I just saw this thread, and I have read all the way through it and I feel like I have come home. My 8th is 4 months old now, and we're EPing. She was so small when she was born she could not latch well, and now just prefers the bottle. Every now and then I can get her to latch on, but...it's rare. My last 4 babies (including her) have had growth problems. It was a relief to find out it was not a milk supply issue, but a milk delivery issue. I just finished pumping hands free, thanks to the link one of you posted to kellymom. I can't even tell you how wonderful that was!

At this point, I am lagging behind her intake. I got some "More Milk Plus", but it doesn't seem to be helping much, so I pumped every hour and a half today. I am so blessed to have some older children to pitch in with baby holding, but I really missed holding her and feeding her in the early days when pumping was constant, trying to get my supply steady.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:07 AM

No worries, Cass. Ramble away!

PAK is the only reason I have any sanity left. I have to do something other than just let the pump run. Otherwise, I would lose my mind.

It's really tough for me to not just say "let's go with formula" because DD does have to get quite a bit of formula. I'm only able to produce about 4oz of bm a day, and she drinks 16-20oz daily. So her needs far outweigh my supply. Sometimes I wonder why I don't just make the switch completely, and then I look at her drinking her bottle of bm and realize she's not going to spit up, and she'll stay full longer, and she's gained 2 1/2 pounds in a month (she was 4.10 on 5/27, and was 7 pounds on Thursday!) and that can't be due solely to the formula. I have to believe that she really NEEDS my milk, otherwise I would just switch entirely to formula. It sure would make life easier

This is the hardest thing, mamas. I feel like such a newbie, because I've only been doing this for 65 days now (not that I'm counting). I'm just taking it one pumping session at a time (every 3 hours during the day, then I take the night off for sanity sake) otherwise I would get freaked out and quit.

And I am SO jealous of all those women who can breastfeed their babies anytime they want, anywhere. I can't imagine how wonderful it would be to pop a screaming baby on the boob and find their needs met, instead of waiting for a bottle to warm up, or the water to get warm enough to mix the formula. LUCKY!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 06-24-2006, 11:57 AM

I HATE the pump!!!!!: I pump 5 times a day and get about 28-35 oz. Enough for dd's needs without formula, but I have had that thought about switching to ff too: It's just so hard to find time to pump, especially when I can't put dd down (she's been getting upset recently). We are all doing the best we can giving mm to our precious babes. I know I'm definitely giving up the pump when the pediatrician says "Ok, she doesn't "need" mm (or formula) anymore." I would have extended nurse/CLW, but this pumping thing TOTALLY sucks!!!
Old 06-24-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise
Have you set up a hands free system? Then you can play on the computer & pump at the same time
Sadly I have been working through some "breast issues" since day one. I have talked to my LC, family doc, and OB. No one can give me a straight answer. I thought that the LC and I had narrowed it down to Reyaud's and possibly yeast but my family doc says it does not look like yeast and also my OB agrees. Also the OB says it does not sound like Reyaud's since the pain never goes away when it is cold. The only thing that cured the overall breast pain was the weather warming up to 80 degrees F but when it gets cold at night the breast pain returns. Sadly the nipple sensitivity never goes away no matter the weather and I have some white clumping on the nipple tip that led my LC to say it might be yeast. My LC got me a prescription for Newman's All purpose nipple ointment and I have been using it for a few days, both my doc and OB aggree that using the ointment won't hurt but they dont thing it is going to help the nipple sensitivity. :-(

So pumping hands free is not really an option since if I don't use compressions as a sort of counter pressure the pain is unbearable while pumping. :

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Old 06-24-2006, 09:13 PM

BakerALM, have you had your baby's palate checked by an LC? Also, have they looked for tongue-tie? I ask because it sounds like you may have some kind of physical issue going on with the "fit" between breast and mouth that is causing you pain. My DD has a very high "bubble palate" that caused persistent nursing pain and also inefficient milk transfer (she *could* get enough but she nursed for very long intervals).

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 06-25-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc
BakerALM, have you had your baby's palate checked by an LC? Also, have they looked for tongue-tie? I ask because it sounds like you may have some kind of physical issue going on with the "fit" between breast and mouth that is causing you pain.
Sadly, yes I have seen abunch of LCs until I finally settled on a great one! I really trust her opnion more than anyone else (she was a midwife for years until a medical condition made her unable to do deliveries, so she moved into lactation) but it is just hard to hear other opnions from everyone else.

As of right now I am Epumping all the time while working on trying to get my girl back to the breast. Well actually it is going very poorly so odds are I will be Epumping forever. :-( So I know the pain is not caused by any malformation in her mouth. But when she was nursing my LC decribed her as having a "cronically short latch", meaning she did not want to take the breast deep enough so I was left with the nipple being chomped on! Also she had a tendency to bite everytime she sucked and with her short latch that issue was extremly painful. Not to mention my phyiscal breast issues that remaned undiagnosed until I went EPumping since everyone thought all the pain was caused by exclusivly by her poor latch. So when we added all the little problems up (oh I forgot to mention that I was told to give her a bottle at the hospital to give my breasts time to heal and me not knowing any better I trusted their opnion. That just made everyother problem worse.) we ended up with one huge problem!: That is just the short version of the story....I actually wrote the long version out and wow it is like a mini novel! I will spare you the agony!:

Old 06-28-2006, 02:52 PM

This is my first post here. I'm thrilled to see this thread, as my daughter was born with a cleft palate the beginning of April. She's three months now, and I have been pumping exclusively since she can't breastfeed. I have a ton of breastmilk in the freezer from the first month when I was building up here supply. Unfortunately, she won't take any of it....I'm assuming becuase there is some colostrom in it?? Don't know....has anyone else encountered that? Unfortunately, she had her first bottle of formula yesterday. I'm down to pumping four times a day and I am just barely keeping up. If I pump more, I find my 22 month old and my four year old bear the brunt of lost time.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:29 PM

pemja- my dd has a cleft palate too.

have you tried different types of freezer bags? I know you're not making enough to freeze anymore but my dd hated the plastic taste (and smell) that the medela bags produced, once I switched to gerber she's only refused the milk once.

four times a day probably will not keep your supply up. if you can *possibly* push it to five times, it would be more ideal. at the same time- I"M SURE you are right about losing time with the other kids!!! I'm not sure how long you pump for but if you can go a half an hour hopefully that will help.

I've also heard some women have had success with "mother love" tincture, it's available in health food stores.

ETA: do you ever wish that they made bottles that said "BREASTMILK" on them so when you're out in public feeding your baby you could still be sort of NIP?

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 06-28-2006, 09:29 PM

Thanks bri276. Good idea about the plastic bags -- that's what I'm using. I'm trying to pump for longer periods (close to 30 minutes) now that I'm only doing it four times a day. I've timed it now for naptime & bedtime so that I have long stretches I can relax....instead of trying to rush through it before lunchtime and dinnertime when the kids are crazy.

Do you feed your daughter with the Haberman? I wasn't able to breastfeed my first child (long story), but did so with my second one. Now with my experiences once again with bottles for our third, I find it's easier for me to feed in public with the Haberman. It probably shouldn't be, but it is. Since lots of people ask me what kind of bottle it is, and I can then tell them about her cleft and how I pump and feed it to her in a special bottle. I remember feeling awful about feeding our first in public with a bottle, but for some reason it doesn't seem as difficult this time around. I guess I'm a more seasoned mom too, so I don't care as much about what other people think. I know I just do the best I can providing for my kids. If others want to judge, then let them.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:02 AM

yes, we use the Haberman. I guess my thing with the bottles isn't so much what other people think - because around here, almost everyone uses formula- as much as the fact that I can't promote bf'ing like I wanted to. oh well!
it's weird, people never ask me about the Haberman anymore. I remember one person said "Hmm they make such strange bottles for babies nowadays" She felt a little sheepish when I said what it was for! does your baby have a cleft lip? mine does not, so everyone is shocked when I tell them about the palate.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 06-29-2006, 02:55 AM

Yes, my dd has just a cleft palate too, so folks are surprised if they are not aware of the differences between lip & palate. Is there a forum for babies with birth defects? It would be great to communicate with others who have been through the same, especially as my dd's surgery approaches in December.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:31 PM

I am just getting over Mastitis. I used to get about 75 oz a day from EPing, but now I am down to about 52 and dropping further.. My dd is a big eater, has days where she eats 46 oz. Does your supply eventually come back up?
Old 07-04-2006, 12:17 AM

Well, ladies, my time here has come to an end. After 10 weeks, my milk has completely dried up. Pumping gets nothing anymore, and DD still can not/will not latch, no matter what we tried. I am completely heartbroken that my ability to provide the best for her ended so quickly, but am grateful that I was able to give her as much as I did. I have to believe that she wouldn't have stayed so healthy or recovered from her 3lb birth weight so quickly if she hadn't received any of my milk.

I am so grateful for all of your support through all of this, and will continue to lurk just in case I can help any other mamas. In the meantime, I thank you for helping me through my rough days and showing me the light at the end of the tunnel.

Bri276, when I got my Medela Lactina Select from the hospital, the bottles it came with said: "Breastmilk: From Mother With Love" and "Nature's #1 Best Food: Mother's Milk" on them.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub

Bri276, when I got my Medela Lactina Select from the hospital, the bottles it came with said: "Breastmilk: From Mother With Love" and "Nature's #1 Best Food: Mother's Milk" on them.
And my little Medela bottles say "100% Breastmilk" on the sides.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:50 AM

I've seen a few new members that are EPers that may not see this thread so far back. I'm giving it a
Old 07-15-2006, 12:56 AM

thanks for bumping! just in time for me to "brag" that I hit my one YEAR mark on Thursday!! and still going, indefinitely. sigh.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 07-15-2006, 12:46 PM

One year! Congrats! How long do you plan on pumping for? I have 3 months and one week to hit a year. Then I plan on reducing my pumps. I am still at 10 a day, getting 55 oz a day. I was getting more(75 oz/day), but mastitis killed that! I will probably stay at 4 pumps a day or so for as long as I can handle it. How long does everyone here plan on pumping for?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:49 PM

I plan on pumping til my daughter gets out of the NICU, then we will try to nurse... if she won't I guess I'll keep on pumping LOL

I have a question- can you get thrush if you are EPing?

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
Old 07-15-2006, 12:50 PM

Yep, you can get thrush. I was just treated for it last month.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:17 PM

well she has either one or two more cleft palate surgeries. so I'm going to see how my supply is after the next one, if it's still good enough, I'll keep going until she's two or if she needs another surgery I'll keep going until it's over. I'd like to make it to 24 months. But I doubt I will have the supply or the determination to make it past 18.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 07-19-2006, 03:35 PM

I plan on pumping for one year. It is hard to stay motivated, sometimes. I don't have a great supply (26 oz) and have to pump 30 minutes at a time for 5x/day. Increasing pump sessions, herbs, dom, none of that makes a difference. And I get plugged ducts all the time. Have had mastitis 3 times. Had a couple of bad plugged nipple pores, one of which made an entire side of my breast a lumpy mess because it couldn't empty. Every time something like that happens, I want to stop. I know oversupply can be a curse, but I would love to be able to just pump 4x/day for 15 minutes at a time and get a huge freezer stash so I can stop pumping before a year. I may go beyond a year, but only if I can cut back to pumping 2x/day and just supplement as needed. I don't think I could continue spending so much time doing it. I admore people that do.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:58 PM

My dd is now 9 months. She was taking about 34 oz a day, but now only takes about 28 oz a day. She takes a tiny amount of solid food a day (about an ounce total) I am wondering why she is taking less lately. She does not seem sick or anything. Is this normal? I know if I were BFing I would have no idea how much she was taking in... Is it normal for a baby to take less as they get older? I assumed she would take more...
Old 07-21-2006, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I was planning to stop at a year. But now I'm having a dilemma. Since ds is tube fed, his whole diet is liquid. I could puree up solids but there's not much nutritional point when he could just have mother's milk (although I wonder if his drs will start telling me he won't get enough nutrition that way). I'm still pumping 8x day, and struggling a bit with supply. Even if I kept up this schedule, I probably will have to start supplementing more and more. And I really don't want to keep it up--if I could cut back to 3-4 sessions and have enough, I could do that. But I need my life back. I need to enjoy my kids and not always be telling them I have to pump.

I can get some donor milk, but not enough for all his needs. I could try to get insurance to cover banked milk, b/c of his medical issues, but I really doubt it--for a brand new preemie maybe, but not a 1 year old whose heart surgery was long ago. I'm just so afraid he'll start not doing as well on formula, or even doing very badly. Actually, they'll probably want him on Pediasure. I can't afford that AND the pump rental. And the idea of not lactating makes me sad/feel weird. I've been lactating for nearly 2 years (minus a few month during pregnancy) so it's hard to imagine not.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:16 PM

Hello ladies! I'm so glad I found you. My heart is going out to all of you EPers! I sucessfully breastfed my 1st daughter, in fact she will be 3 in a week and she still occassionally asks to nurse. I had Zoe February 3rd of this year and she started out nursing like a champ. Right around the 3 month mark she started to get a bit, oh how do I put it, impatient at the breast because she couldn't possibly wait the couple of seconds for letdown. Her nickname is chub-chub if this tells you anything. Right about this time we also introduced a bottle because I knew I would be returning to work, since I'm the main breadwinner in the family. Well, she loved the bottle. Ever so gradually she decided to only take the bottel and for a while she would nurse at night but now even that is done. So she will be 6 months old in a bit and I've been ep for 2 months now. I am just able to keep up with her daily needs but haven't been able to put any up in the freezer. That had been stressing me out but I am thankful that I can at least keep up with her. I've been back at work now for a month and I am able to pump in an unused office (with my first I had to pump in the bathroom which I did for a year) but for some stupid reason I feel quilty when I leave my desk to pump. I've been real sad lately because I miss nursing and I did know we were going to be done. I was hoping at first she was maybe going thru a growth spurt or something and would settle back down but no such luck. I still offer the breast sometimes when I'm feeding her but she acts all offended and cries horribly. When it first started happening I looked for suggestions but because we needed her to still take a bottle I was told not to even try to get her back to the breast. Besides what was described to me was basically forcing her to take the breast meaning don't offer a bottle when she gets hungry. I hope to write more later. I am using a Medela Pump in Style.

Nikki
Old 07-21-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrow
Hello ladies! I'm so glad I found you. My heart is going out to all of you EPers! I sucessfully breastfed my 1st daughter, in fact she will be 3 in a week and she still occassionally asks to nurse. I had Zoe February 3rd of this year and she started out nursing like a champ. Right around the 3 month mark she started to get a bit, oh how do I put it, impatient at the breast because she couldn't possibly wait the couple of seconds for letdown. Her nickname is chub-chub if this tells you anything. Right about this time we also introduced a bottle because I knew I would be returning to work, since I'm the main breadwinner in the family. Well, she loved the bottle. Ever so gradually she decided to only take the bottel and for a while she would nurse at night but now even that is done. So she will be 6 months old in a bit and I've been ep for 2 months now. I am just able to keep up with her daily needs but haven't been able to put any up in the freezer. That had been stressing me out but I am thankful that I can at least keep up with her. I've been back at work now for a month and I am able to pump in an unused office (with my first I had to pump in the bathroom which I did for a year) but for some stupid reason I feel quilty when I leave my desk to pump. I've been real sad lately because I miss nursing and I did know we were going to be done. I was hoping at first she was maybe going thru a growth spurt or something and would settle back down but no such luck. I still offer the breast sometimes when I'm feeding her but she acts all offended and cries horribly. When it first started happening I looked for suggestions but because we needed her to still take a bottle I was told not to even try to get her back to the breast. Besides what was described to me was basically forcing her to take the breast meaning don't offer a bottle when she gets hungry. I hope to write more later. I am using a Medela Pump in Style.

Nikki
Nikki,
This is almost the exact same thing that happened with me and my DD. She didn't latch at birth and never really nursed like a champ, but also was impatient and got spoiled with a bottle (in combination with me having a supply issue at the same time). She just screams at me, too. Good luck to you and I am sorry BFing didn't work out.
Melanie
Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 PM

it's good to see an EPing thread! I'll give a quick synopsis of my story, and how I wound up EPing for 13 months:

I had my son on 11/30/04. He had absolutely no interest in breastfeeding at all, and didn't even have any rooting or sucking instinct. We had no idea why, and I was very insistent on breastfeeding. Unfotunately, like so many other mom's experiences, the nurses were absolutely indifferent to my problems and simply offered formula when the typical 2 minute attempt at breastfeeding failed. But for some reason, my son would violently vomit up formula. So I pumped, and for the next 3 months, I tried every 3 hours to nurse my son. It was the most traumatic 3 months of my life. The LCs were baffled, but were certain it was my son's problem, and I was doing everything right. We even went to a feeding specialist, who was also stumped.
And then, a few days after 4 months old, he began screaming constantly and refusing all food. After 12 hours of screaming, we took him to the hospital, thinking he had bad reflux or something. The or something would up being the reason he couldn't nurse - he had a diaphragmatic hernia and required immediate emergency surgery. He was truly a "miracle baby", since a diaphragmatic hernia usually means only a 50/50 chance of survival at birth. But according to the surgeon, my son was "pinching" his hernia shut so he could breathe. Unfortunately, this meant he didn't have enough strength to nurse. I'm glad he chose breathing! I'm also very glad I pumped, since the formula couldn't be digested because his small intestine was being "pinched" in the hernia. So because breastmilk is so quickly and easily digested, it's the only thing he was able to eat.
So I EP'd for 13 months for him. It took until he was a year old before he would take any solid food, so I kept pumping. Luckily I had a very serious oversupply (max. output was about 100 oz a day), so feeding him wasn't a problem. He's now 20 months old, and I'm finally down to the last box of frozen milk for him.
EPing presented many challenges. I stopped counting at over 100 clogged ducts, and I had 4 bouts of mastitis. I learned to pump anywhere and everywhere - airports, sitting on airplanes, in baseball parks, as both a passenger and driver in a car, you name it. But the obvious need that my son could die if I didn't pump kept me going. I tried nursing my son after he healed from his surgery, but he learned to "chew" on a bottle to get milk, and attempted to do the same on my nipple. After a few weeks of unsuccessfully trying to teach him how to suck, I gave up because my poor bloody nipples simply couldn't take the abuse anymore. It took weeks for those badly bitten gals to heal.
The worst part of it was, and still is, the mourning process. I'm still mourning the loss of a breastfeeding relationship with my son, and I hope and pray that #2, due in the end of January, will be able to take my milk "from the tap".
So good luck to all you fellow EPers out there - and "positive pump vibes"!

Rach

User Tag List