Exclusive Pumpers Tribe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#181 of 1785 Old 09-26-2006, 12:39 AM
 
jarynsmom06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: tennessee
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you mama-a-llama...I will be going to the health food store tomorrow to get all that good stuff. I tell you MT is a smart lady. Thanks again...and cross your fingers for me...
jarynsmom06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#182 of 1785 Old 09-26-2006, 02:00 AM
 
kathteach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I would add this link, it's an interesting blog and motivates me to keep pumping. http://www.pumpingrules.blogspot.com/
kathteach is offline  
#183 of 1785 Old 09-26-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
mama-a-llama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What bottle brush do you all use? We've been using one that has sponge on the end. I like how well it seems to clean, but am nervous about bacteria and it wears out quickly. We have a Gerber one now, that is just bristles. I'm hoping it will last longer and clean well, but I don't know how to tell.
mama-a-llama is offline  
#184 of 1785 Old 09-28-2006, 06:57 PM
 
GooeyRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use playtex drop in's so I don't wash bottles. (baby got hooked on those nipples, and wont accept any others) I use the brush that came with Avent bottles to wash my pump parts. It works well. I boil it daily and it still didn't fall apart.
GooeyRN is offline  
#185 of 1785 Old 09-28-2006, 08:16 PM
 
timneh_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Somewhere between awake and asleep
Posts: 4,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to pop in here, I haven't EP'd but I have a friend who did for at least 18 months... just wanted to say, for doing this for your babies!! My friend was so determined that her son would get her milk, she kept going... and avoided tons of foods because he had TONS of food allergies. I haven't talked to her in over a year, we kind of lost touch, but I believe he had grown out of some of them. He was allergic to hypoallergenic formula! This mama, she started eating meat again after being vegetarian for many, many years... because she didn't feel she could get enough protein with her limited diet. So hats off to all of you!! You deserve it.
timneh_mom is offline  
#186 of 1785 Old 09-29-2006, 07:19 AM
 
GooeyRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
I just wanted to pop in here, I haven't EP'd but I have a friend who did for at least 18 months... just wanted to say, for doing this for your babies!! My friend was so determined that her son would get her milk, she kept going... and avoided tons of foods because he had TONS of food allergies. I haven't talked to her in over a year, we kind of lost touch, but I believe he had grown out of some of them. He was allergic to hypoallergenic formula! This mama, she started eating meat again after being vegetarian for many, many years... because she didn't feel she could get enough protein with her limited diet. So hats off to all of you!! You deserve it.

: Thank you. :
GooeyRN is offline  
#187 of 1785 Old 09-29-2006, 03:09 PM
 
amybw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: at home
Posts: 1,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not EP but i follow your news! You all are AWESOME!!!

sorry if i missed this, but what do you store your BM in? I want to start freezing some if i can.
thanks!

Amy
amybw is offline  
#188 of 1785 Old 09-29-2006, 03:50 PM
 
GooeyRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybw View Post
I am not EP but i follow your news! You all are AWESOME!!!

sorry if i missed this, but what do you store your BM in? I want to start freezing some if i can.
thanks!

Amy
I use breast milk storage bags. I like the Lansinoh brand the best. They do not leak like the gerber and medela bags. They are also easier to seal. They take up much less room than bottles in the freezer. I have a harder time finding them, though.
GooeyRN is offline  
#189 of 1785 Old 10-01-2006, 01:30 AM
 
mamanurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Not on MDC
Posts: 3,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lansinoh bags rock. Gerber are next best followed by The First Years. Medela, strangely enough, makes the worst storage bags around.
mamanurse is offline  
#190 of 1785 Old 10-01-2006, 02:38 AM
 
usolyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=mama-a-llama;6125310] We've been using one that has sponge on the end. I like how well it seems to clean, but am nervous about bacteria and it wears out quickly.QUOTE]

We send ours through the dishwasher.
usolyfan is offline  
#191 of 1785 Old 10-03-2006, 02:21 AM
 
margaretta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished reading this thread and found some great information here. It made me feel so much better to read other people's stories. I'm not quite an EPer, but I'm pumping a lot and at babe's insistince, not mine, so hopefully it's close enough to join in. If not I'll just read and not post ^_^

My name is Margaret and I've been almost exclusively pumping for DS for almost 5 months now. I also have a daughter (3) who just weaned. We were tandem nursing for a while which was a great experience. DS nursed without any problems for the first 2 months of life but he stopped and now will only nurse at night (really when he's asleep and going to go back to sleep - so occasional daytime nursing). One day he just refused to nurse (turns out he had an ear infection so it was probably painful). After it had been a loooong time and I was worried about him I gave him bottles of EBM (which I had done before without a problem) and he just wouldn't nurse after that. I kept offering the breast, but he kept refusing so I would give him a bottle. He doesn't get upset when I offer the breast but he won't nurse if he's awake. He usually nurses once or twice at night and I pump 5-6x during the day. It was really strange to me that he wouldn't nursle. I had an overactive let-down so the typical nipple confusion advice didn't apply. He would reject a normal breast and he would reject it if it was spraying him in the face. So now I'm pumping almost full time.

My supply seems to have plateaued at about 28-32 oz, but between nursing a bit at night and solids (which he loves) it seems to be enough without supplementing. I am trying to increase my supply but I'm not sure it's working. DS is a big big guy so I'm a bit worried that this isn't enough, but he has lots of chub so I think he's okay.

One of the most difficult things now is getting out. Everything takes so long with both kids that I don't seem to be able to do do much of anything before it's time to come home and get DS down for a nap and then pump again. If I do manage it, I end up really tired. Hopefully this will get easier as he gets older.
margaretta is offline  
#192 of 1785 Old 10-03-2006, 07:46 AM
 
GooeyRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretta View Post
I just finished reading this thread and found some great information here. It made me feel so much better to read other people's stories. I'm not quite an EPer, but I'm pumping a lot and at babe's insistince, not mine, so hopefully it's close enough to join in. If not I'll just read and not post ^_^

My name is Margaret and I've been almost exclusively pumping for DS for almost 5 months now. I also have a daughter (3) who just weaned. We were tandem nursing for a while which was a great experience. DS nursed without any problems for the first 2 months of life but he stopped and now will only nurse at night (really when he's asleep and going to go back to sleep - so occasional daytime nursing). One day he just refused to nurse (turns out he had an ear infection so it was probably painful). After it had been a loooong time and I was worried about him I gave him bottles of EBM (which I had done before without a problem) and he just wouldn't nurse after that. I kept offering the breast, but he kept refusing so I would give him a bottle. He doesn't get upset when I offer the breast but he won't nurse if he's awake. He usually nurses once or twice at night and I pump 5-6x during the day. It was really strange to me that he wouldn't nursle. I had an overactive let-down so the typical nipple confusion advice didn't apply. He would reject a normal breast and he would reject it if it was spraying him in the face. So now I'm pumping almost full time.

My supply seems to have plateaued at about 28-32 oz, but between nursing a bit at night and solids (which he loves) it seems to be enough without supplementing. I am trying to increase my supply but I'm not sure it's working. DS is a big big guy so I'm a bit worried that this isn't enough, but he has lots of chub so I think he's okay.

One of the most difficult things now is getting out. Everything takes so long with both kids that I don't seem to be able to do do much of anything before it's time to come home and get DS down for a nap and then pump again. If I do manage it, I end up really tired. Hopefully this will get easier as he gets older.
Hi Margaretta!

Im sorry to hear that you are having troubles with nursing. Pumping sure isn't fun, but atleast our babies get our milk. Im glad he will still nurse at night so you don't have to get up to pump to maintain your supply. I have been mostly EPing for 11 months now. DD was never a good nurser (I still had to pump after every feeding), and completely refused to even try after 3 months. It sounds like you are responding to the pump well. How long do you plan on bfing/pumping for?
GooeyRN is offline  
#193 of 1785 Old 10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
 
mamanurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Not on MDC
Posts: 3,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Margaretta! Of course you can join your thread, but I must admit that I'm jealous your ds will nurse at all. I've been EP'ing for 10 months now and know it's no picnic.

Hi Gooey:
mamanurse is offline  
#194 of 1785 Old 10-03-2006, 10:28 AM
 
GooeyRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post

Hi Gooey:
Hi mamanurse! Its nice to see you again!
GooeyRN is offline  
#195 of 1785 Old 10-03-2006, 11:57 AM
 
amybw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: at home
Posts: 1,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretta View Post
IOne of the most difficult things now is getting out. Everything takes so long with both kids that I don't seem to be able to do do much of anything before it's time to come home and get DS down for a nap and then pump again. If I do manage it, I end up really tired. Hopefully this will get easier as he gets older.
Not an EPer but i SO understand that!


Hope it gets better!
amybw is offline  
#196 of 1785 Old 10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
 
countrypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Outside Memphis
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys! I'm amother of 4 and having been pumping for 2 months. My baby is a 34weeker and in NICU she had stuggles and took the bottle first. It has been hard cause I have health problems myself and feel like my supply is dropping. I am taking Reglan and Feengreek also. So glad to see I'm not alone!
countrypopo is offline  
#197 of 1785 Old 10-03-2006, 08:55 PM
 
GooeyRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypopo View Post
Hi guys! I'm amother of 4 and having been pumping for 2 months. My baby is a 34weeker and in NICU she had stuggles and took the bottle first. It has been hard cause I have health problems myself and feel like my supply is dropping. I am taking Reglan and Feengreek also. So glad to see I'm not alone!
Hi Countrypopo! You are awesome that you are keeping up with the pumping with 4 kids! Welcome to our tribe!
GooeyRN is offline  
#198 of 1785 Old 10-07-2006, 01:55 PM
 
Sandstress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi fellow pumpers.
I'm the EPing mom of a former preemie, and I just returned to work so I've got a whole other set of pumping issues now. I'm glad to see there other other EPers on this site. I have been pumping for 9 1/2 months now, and want to do it until at least the end of this cold/flu/RSV season. Kudos to all those moms out there who are managing to pump for YEARS!!!! That's awesome.
Sandstress is offline  
#199 of 1785 Old 10-07-2006, 02:06 PM
 
GooeyRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstress View Post
Hi fellow pumpers.
I'm the EPing mom of a former preemie, and I just returned to work so I've got a whole other set of pumping issues now. I'm glad to see there other other EPers on this site. I have been pumping for 9 1/2 months now, and want to do it until at least the end of this cold/flu/RSV season. Kudos to all those moms out there who are managing to pump for YEARS!!!! That's awesome.
Hi Sandstress! Welcome to the tribe! Congrats on pumping so long. I am at 11.5 months now, and also plan on continuing atleast until the end of the cold/flu/rsv season. What will you be doing at work? Do you get regular breaks that you will be able to pump during? Do they provide you an area to pump, or are you on your own trying to find somewhere to pump?
GooeyRN is offline  
#200 of 1785 Old 10-07-2006, 03:08 PM
 
Sandstress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
Hi Sandstress! Welcome to the tribe! Congrats on pumping so long. I am at 11.5 months now, and also plan on continuing atleast until the end of the cold/flu/rsv season. What will you be doing at work? Do you get regular breaks that you will be able to pump during? Do they provide you an area to pump, or are you on your own trying to find somewhere to pump?
I work in a hospital, so I can go to the milk bank where they have 6 curtained areas with hospital grade pumps. It sometimes takes too long to go all the way there and back, so my department has an empty office that they said I can use (lock on the door, which I don't have.) I haven't used it yet, but can see where it will come in handy. I don't get regularly scheduled breaks, but can usually take half an hour to pump 1-2 a day, and I pump on the commute in and home, so that's at least 3 pumps for the day.
Sandstress is offline  
#201 of 1785 Old 10-07-2006, 03:14 PM
 
counterGOPI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Frontier Dreams in Oregon
Posts: 3,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mamas im so glad you have this thread.. i was hoping i could hop in to ask yo ua question. i do not pump personally but i volunteer at the hospital on our base to help new moms breastfeed. i have come across a few moms that want to BF but dont want baby at the breast..they just want to pump their milk and give it in a bottle.. i know thats not you guys but what kind of advice can i give those moms? does that work ok? can you keep up a supply when you EBP? thanks so much mamas!!! again you gals rock!!!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
counterGOPI is offline  
#202 of 1785 Old 10-07-2006, 04:28 PM
 
GooeyRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
mamas im so glad you have this thread.. i was hoping i could hop in to ask yo ua question. i do not pump personally but i volunteer at the hospital on our base to help new moms breastfeed. i have come across a few moms that want to BF but dont want baby at the breast..they just want to pump their milk and give it in a bottle.. i know thats not you guys but what kind of advice can i give those moms? does that work ok? can you keep up a supply when you EBP? thanks so much mamas!!! again you gals rock!!!
Everyone on this thread only pumps. We don't breastfeed from the tap. But that is not our choice. Our babies are unable to breastfeed for medical reasons, or just plain refuse to. So we pump our milk and either bottle feed or tube feed.

It is very possible to keep up your supply while just pumping. I do it. I have been exclusively pumping for 11.5 months now. Some women have a difficult time of maintaining their supply this way and need to give some formula. I do not recommend EPing. It is hard to do long term. Many women quit after only a few weeks, due to exhaustion and trouble pumping and taking care of baby at the same time.

Many women don't understand just how exhausting it is to Exclusively Pump. For the first 3 months, you have to pump every 2-3 hours, around the clock. Most babies get up several times a night to eat, so if a baby gets up 3 times to eat, and mom gets up 3-4 times a night to pump, that is about 6-7 night wakings for mom for the first 3 months! Its very difficult to pump when baby is awake, so most pump while baby naps during the day. So its very difficult to get any housework done, take any naps, cook anything, care for other children, etc. Its a huge PITA to leave the house. Not only do you have to pack the baby a bag with diapers and a change of clothes, you have to bring your pump and accessories, bottles of milk, bottles for the milk you pump while you are out, etc. It seems like I always have to stop what I am doing so I can go pump. It is such a huge commitment! I would love to be able to just lift my shirt and let my baby eat. I wouldn't spend 4 hours of my life a day pumping, I wouldn't have sore nipples, my house would be cleaner, I wouldn't have to life my life according to my pump schedule.....Life would be so easy.....

But if someone is really against breastfeeding from the tap, the baby will atleast be getting breastmilk which is a whole lot better than formula. Thats why all of us ladies go through the hassles. If someone is planning on pumping instead of breastfeeding for no medical reason/no nursing problems, I really don't think they know the huge commtment they are taking on. I sure hope they don't burn out and give up early.
GooeyRN is offline  
#203 of 1785 Old 10-07-2006, 05:36 PM
 
mamanurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Not on MDC
Posts: 3,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sandstress! I'm on my 10th month of E'ping and plan on doing it at least through March. Tells us your woes about pumping at work, maybe we'll have a solution. Or maybe we can just kvetch together.
mamanurse is offline  
#204 of 1785 Old 10-07-2006, 06:38 PM
 
counterGOPI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Frontier Dreams in Oregon
Posts: 3,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
Everyone on this thread only pumps. We don't breastfeed from the tap. But that is not our choice. Our babies are unable to breastfeed for medical reasons, or just plain refuse to. So we pump our milk and either bottle feed or tube feed.

It is very possible to keep up your supply while just pumping. I do it. I have been exclusively pumping for 11.5 months now. Some women have a difficult time of maintaining their supply this way and need to give some formula. I do not recommend EPing. It is hard to do long term. Many women quit after only a few weeks, due to exhaustion and trouble pumping and taking care of baby at the same time.

Many women don't understand just how exhausting it is to Exclusively Pump. For the first 3 months, you have to pump every 2-3 hours, around the clock. Most babies get up several times a night to eat, so if a baby gets up 3 times to eat, and mom gets up 3-4 times a night to pump, that is about 6-7 night wakings for mom for the first 3 months! Its very difficult to pump when baby is awake, so most pump while baby naps during the day. So its very difficult to get any housework done, take any naps, cook anything, care for other children, etc. Its a huge PITA to leave the house. Not only do you have to pack the baby a bag with diapers and a change of clothes, you have to bring your pump and accessories, bottles of milk, bottles for the milk you pump while you are out, etc. It seems like I always have to stop what I am doing so I can go pump. It is such a huge commitment! I would love to be able to just lift my shirt and let my baby eat. I wouldn't spend 4 hours of my life a day pumping, I wouldn't have sore nipples, my house would be cleaner, I wouldn't have to life my life according to my pump schedule.....Life would be so easy.....

But if someone is really against breastfeeding from the tap, the baby will atleast be getting breastmilk which is a whole lot better than formula. Thats why all of us ladies go through the hassles. If someone is planning on pumping instead of breastfeeding for no medical reason/no nursing problems, I really don't think they know the huge commtment they are taking on. I sure hope they don't burn out and give up early.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for your honest and wonderful response

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
counterGOPI is offline  
#205 of 1785 Old 10-08-2006, 03:20 PM
 
Sandstress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
Sandstress! I'm on my 10th month of E'ping and plan on doing it at least through March. Tells us your woes about pumping at work, maybe we'll have a solution. Or maybe we can just kvetch together.
The main thing that worries me is the lack of consistent schedule. There are things that come up urgently that I have to take care of and those put a pumping session off for another hour or two. Also, I don't really have a lunch break, since we have "working lunches" with conferences, presentations, etc. Like Friday, I had something that kept pushing off my second pumping of the workday until it was around 5pm, so then I just waited and pumped in the car at 6. I think people are supportive to a point, but the work must be done...
Sandstress is offline  
#206 of 1785 Old 10-08-2006, 03:25 PM
 
GooeyRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstress View Post
The main thing that worries me is the lack of consistent schedule. There are things that come up urgently that I have to take care of and those put a pumping session off for another hour or two. Also, I don't really have a lunch break, since we have "working lunches" with conferences, presentations, etc. Like Friday, I had something that kept pushing off my second pumping of the workday until it was around 5pm, so then I just waited and pumped in the car at 6. I think people are supportive to a point, but the work must be done...
Inconsistant breaks makes pumping hard. Thats why I haven't yet returned to my job. I worked med/surg as a nurse, and some shifts I didn't even get to pee. It seems like a patient always falls or goes down the tubes when I am about to take a break. Im sure co-workers would help out to a certain extent, but I doubt I could get away more than once to pump. Im sure a lot wouldn't be too supportive, since my baby is almost a year old, and so many people don't think breastmilk is important past then. So I am still home, and broke.

When did you return to work? How is your supply doing? Do you get uncomfortable from going long intervals between pumps? That sucks that you can't even count on your lunch break since you have conferences during lunch.
GooeyRN is offline  
#207 of 1785 Old 10-08-2006, 07:00 PM
 
mamanurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Not on MDC
Posts: 3,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
When did you return to work? How is your supply doing? Do you get uncomfortable from going long intervals between pumps? That sucks that you can't even count on your lunch break since you have conferences during lunch.
I'm not working right now, but am going to school full time for my BSN. I have two clinicals this fall. I generally pump the first time right after 9:00 meds are passed, then again around 2 when I also take my lunch, then I take a computer with me into the pumping lounge around 6 to do my charting and pump at the same time. I also chart occasionally during the morning pump. My supply has not taken a dive, but I only pump 5x's a day. You've got such a good stash, though, that I bet you could get away with increasing the space between pumpings and decrease the number of pumpings. And yes, I would get fairly uncomfortable if I went more than 5-6 hours without pumping, especially in the morning.
mamanurse is offline  
#208 of 1785 Old 10-08-2006, 11:43 PM
 
Sandstress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
When did you return to work? How is your supply doing? Do you get uncomfortable from going long intervals between pumps? That sucks that you can't even count on your lunch break since you have conferences during lunch.
I returned last Monday, as a matter of fact. My supply has actually increased a little in the past couple weeks. Not much, just a few ounces. I have been pumping about 30-35 ounces/day for a long time, and have not tried to increase in several months. I still freeze about 6 ounces every couple days, and she doesn't seem to eat more than that. We're working on solids now, so I don't think I'll have to supplement. I was pumping this much when she first came home from the NICU and ended up donating a substantial amount to the Austin Mother's Milk Bank.

I don't have pain discomfort, but I get self-consious about the size increase and then worry about leaking in front of people (I have leaked through pads before.) I have not had to go longer than 6 hours since work started, so I hope it continues that way. It's workable, just difficult and stressful!
Sandstress is offline  
#209 of 1785 Old 10-09-2006, 02:31 AM
 
margaretta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GooeyRN - I was hoping that when he hit a year he would take enough solids that I could just pump morning and night and get 10-12 oz... but I may be deluding myself. Do you know how many times you have to nurse to maintain a small supply like that? He doesn't tolerate it when I drink milk and there are a lot of milk allergies in my family so I don't think we'll be able to switch to cow's milk. He likes solids so I'm hoping I can cut pumping sessions as he gets more and more of his calories from solids. I'll pump as long as I need to but I'm hoping he'll move to solids soon.

mamanurse - I know that his nursing at all makes it easier. If it makes you feel any better, when he does nurse at night he nurses just enough to get back to sleep... which means he gets hungry quickly and wakes every 90 min all night long once he starts nursing. Usually the first wake up is close to morning but sometimes it's all night long. Those nights are hard and have been happening a lot recently as I've been having a little trouble keeping my supply up. I know I don't quite belong here, but I'm a SAHM and I pump 6x a day when I would much much rather nurse so I feel like my experience is closer to being an EPer than anything else... but I know it isn't quite the same. Thanks for welcoming me in spite of that. This is so much harder than nursing and reading about what other people are doing as well as the support is really helpful.
margaretta is offline  
#210 of 1785 Old 10-09-2006, 07:40 AM
 
GooeyRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretta View Post
GooeyRN - I was hoping that when he hit a year he would take enough solids that I could just pump morning and night and get 10-12 oz... but I may be deluding myself. Do you know how many times you have to nurse to maintain a small supply like that? He doesn't tolerate it when I drink milk and there are a lot of milk allergies in my family so I don't think we'll be able to switch to cow's milk. He likes solids so I'm hoping I can cut pumping sessions as he gets more and more of his calories from solids. I'll pump as long as I need to but I'm hoping he'll move to solids soon.

mamanurse - I know that his nursing at all makes it easier. If it makes you feel any better, when he does nurse at night he nurses just enough to get back to sleep... which means he gets hungry quickly and wakes every 90 min all night long once he starts nursing. Usually the first wake up is close to morning but sometimes it's all night long. Those nights are hard and have been happening a lot recently as I've been having a little trouble keeping my supply up. I know I don't quite belong here, but I'm a SAHM and I pump 6x a day when I would much much rather nurse so I feel like my experience is closer to being an EPer than anything else... but I know it isn't quite the same. Thanks for welcoming me in spite of that. This is so much harder than nursing and reading about what other people are doing as well as the support is really helpful.


Margaretta,

I used to partially nurse, as well. Mostly just for comfort. Sometimes it would calm her to sleep when she was colicky. But she had major latch issues. Im not talking just a bad latch... She could not latch at all most times. So the screaming would intensify if she could not latch after several attempts. She quit even trying at 3 months. So I have been pretty much been just pumping since the beginning. Her "partial" bfing was more stressful for me than just pumping. It was heartbreaking when she quit trying (and I still hurt quite a bit), but I was also a bit relieved, since I didn't have to make her scream at attempting to latch anymore, if that makes any sense.

Im glad that your supply seems to be holding up for you while you work. Donating to the milk bank was an AWESOME thing for you to do! How is your little one taking to solids? I really hoped that mine would have taken to solids well at 6 months so I could cut way back on pumping. Well... 11.5 months later... She sometimes takes up to 45 oz a day of my milk, and eats no more than 3 cheerio's. She won't take anything from a spoon, and only takes a few bites of food a day. So she hasn't reduced her milk intake at all. I am still going to cut back on her birthday (Oct 23rd) a bit. If I loose a few oz, oh well. I need some sanity. I do think its realistic to pump twice a day, and get 10-12 oz. A lot of women on another forum do that, and some get up to 20 oz pumping just 2-3 times a day. What kind of pump are you using?

Did you join the yahoo groups, pumpmoms, epers, or mobi? They are great places to learn more about pumping, how to increase supply, etc. No one there is judgemental at all. Its very warm and non-judgemental. No one flames you when you are stressed and exhausted, and need to drop a pump or two and need to supplement with formula. You may want to check them out. I learned so much there!
GooeyRN is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off