Exclusive Pumpers Tribe - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1785 Old 10-22-2006, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
So you pump before work, and after work, but not during work? Going a long time between pumpings/nursings may cause your supply to drop over a few weeks. Is it possible to pump once during work? That would help you to maintain your supply.
I'm at work for 3 hours usually and I don't get a break unless it's a busy day and I work over 5 hours.
#242 of 1785 Old 10-22-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
The Gooey Peanut turns 1 tommorrow. Congratulations on making it a year of EP'ing and here's to celebrating your baby!!!

PS- I was worried I'd forget to wish happy birthday tommorrow, so I thought I'd do it tonight
Thanks!!!!! I can't believe a year went by already. I made my initial goal of pumping! I am so happy that I made it. But now I just can't stop. I have a new goal now, 2 years! Im not holding myself to that, though. She has a good six months worth of frozen milk for whenever I quit. I will be happy to make it through cold and flu season. Hopefully she will be eating solids by spring and I may quit then. I am just going to take it day by day once she starts eating. Thanks so much for wishing my lil peanut a happy birthday!!! I have a toddler now!!! She is starting to walk, look out now!
#243 of 1785 Old 10-22-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic Chrissy View Post
I'm at work for 3 hours usually and I don't get a break unless it's a busy day and I work over 5 hours.
Oh, well thats not a problem to go 3 hours, assuming you bf before you leave and when you get home. I don't know how going 5 hours would affect your supply. I would assume it wouldn't if you don't work every day.
#244 of 1785 Old 10-23-2006, 02:11 AM

I agree with Gooey on the 3 hour pumping, but 5 hours on a near daily basis may be problematic.

Congrats on the goal revision Gooey. I just broke it to dh that I will be continuing through respiratory season and he seemed to take it pretty well. Dd has dramatically decreased her milk consumption. She's maybe taking in 24 oz per day tops now. I'm almost down to four pumps and hope to make it to three if and when she takes less milk. I'm going to try it in a sippy cup soon at breakfast
#245 of 1785 Old 10-23-2006, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats on one year, Gooey! I hope she starts taking solids for you. And yeah, I think dropping some pumps are in order. You've made it a year at 10 or more pumps a day!

Here I am, down to 14 min for the 3 am pump. Do you think once I get down to 4 I can just quit, and not go down to 2 min first?

We're working on introducing solids pureed into his tube feedings. Been doing bananas for nearly a week, and he was doing well. Then yesterday he got this splotchy rash after he pooped. DH couldn't understand why I was so beside myself about it. I was really counting on getting him partially on solids to keep him from having to get formula, or at least reduce the amt.

I was also telling DH I was going through respiratory season, and loosely planning to be done by end of April, before his brother's wedding, because I don't want to have to deal with pumping then. He was saying why? since I'll be down to 4 pumps then, and depending on what time of day the wedding is, I may not have any issues at all. So we'll see. I'll rent through Dec, renew for 3 mos until end of March, and reevaluate then.
#246 of 1785 Old 10-23-2006, 12:32 PM

Hi

I have been reading a lot and have decided to join in!

My baby was born at 29 weeks 5 days after ten weeks of hospital bedrest and spent 8 weeks in the NICU.

I started pumping the day after she was born (too sick to start the same day) and am now up to 19 weeks. I hope to make it to a year. I don't have a huge supply, maybe 25oz a day. I have tried herbs, more milk plus didn't do anything for me, so at the weekend I tried Goats Rue tincture which made me ill, hot flushes, sweats, cystitis like symptoms, my "allergy" headache and nausea. After seeing our baby flush too I threw my milk away (so sad) and used two of the three I had in the freezer. I feel better today, just the headache remains.

Today she had her first formula (bad day), 20ml in a 120ml bottle.

I pump every three hours (four at night) for 20 mins with a Lactina and don't feel that I can do any more than that but hated giving her formula. Maybe I will try to fit in an extra couple of pumps today.

We have tried BF, not until she came home (when she left the NICU we moved 2000 miles, grim). She can do it but not well and I know that she could probably do it eventually if I tried harder, BUT, I have to pump afterwards and give her a bottle. After BF she sucks so hard at the bottle she chokes, stops breathing for 20 secs and goes blue. That was the reason she stayed in the NICU for so long, she had O2 with feeds. After she was rehospitalised last week (ICU for observation) I decided to go back to EP ing. Too much stress. Consistent bottles with a newborn nipple and no "episodes" all weekend.

Dr Newman sent me a prescription for Domperidone, hopefully the pills should arrive this week. I would love to hear of your experiences with it as I hate taking pills and am a bit nervous about it. I have read everything I can and sort of take comfort from the fact that it is classed as L1 when some of the antibiotics I had to take post baby and for mastitis/kidney infection were worse than that.
#247 of 1785 Old 10-23-2006, 12:39 PM

Nawor,
Welcome to the group! I have taken dom, was up to 120 mg/day. I didn't have any side effects except maybe an occassional stomach ache. I weaned down to 20-30 mg/day without any loss of supply. Although now that I stopped it my supply has tanked. I would give it a try. I also tried many herbs and they didn't do anything for me.
#248 of 1785 Old 10-23-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawor View Post
Hi

I have been reading a lot and have decided to join in!

My baby was born at 29 weeks 5 days after ten weeks of hospital bedrest and spent 8 weeks in the NICU.

I started pumping the day after she was born (too sick to start the same day) and am now up to 19 weeks. I hope to make it to a year. I don't have a huge supply, maybe 25oz a day. I have tried herbs, more milk plus didn't do anything for me, so at the weekend I tried Goats Rue tincture which made me ill, hot flushes, sweats, cystitis like symptoms, my "allergy" headache and nausea. After seeing our baby flush too I threw my milk away (so sad) and used two of the three I had in the freezer. I feel better today, just the headache remains.

Today she had her first formula (bad day), 20ml in a 120ml bottle.

I pump every three hours (four at night) for 20 mins with a Lactina and don't feel that I can do any more than that but hated giving her formula. Maybe I will try to fit in an extra couple of pumps today.

We have tried BF, not until she came home (when she left the NICU we moved 2000 miles, grim). She can do it but not well and I know that she could probably do it eventually if I tried harder, BUT, I have to pump afterwards and give her a bottle. After BF she sucks so hard at the bottle she chokes, stops breathing for 20 secs and goes blue. That was the reason she stayed in the NICU for so long, she had O2 with feeds. After she was rehospitalised last week (ICU for observation) I decided to go back to EP ing. Too much stress. Consistent bottles with a newborn nipple and no "episodes" all weekend.

Dr Newman sent me a prescription for Domperidone, hopefully the pills should arrive this week. I would love to hear of your experiences with it as I hate taking pills and am a bit nervous about it. I have read everything I can and sort of take comfort from the fact that it is classed as L1 when some of the antibiotics I had to take post baby and for mastitis/kidney infection were worse than that.
Nawor,

Welcome to our tribe! Congrats on having a baby. Your feeding experience sounds so scarey. BFing would be a lot easier... Have you tried using an SNS to avoid bottles? Maybe you can talk to your pediatrician about that? I don't have any real advice and haven't gone through your experience. DO NOT FEEL GUILTY about having to use formula. Thats what it is for!!! You already tried the herbs, and they don't seem to be the correct avenue for you. So many women never even try to get their baby to latch onto their breast. They just crack open the can of formula without even thinking bfing and/or eping is an option! Many babies not only survive, but thrive on formula. You are pumping a good amount, every 3 hours during the day and 4 hours during the night. Would it be possible to also pump every 3 hours during the night? I don't know how often your baby gets up to eat so I have no idea your level of sleep deprivation. Prolactin llevels are highest in the very early morning, between 1-4 am. If you can try to get a pump session in during that time it may help you to get a few extra oz. I do not have personal experience with Domperidone, but have heard that many women get a lot of milk with it. There are certain antibiotics and other meds you will want to avoid if you take it. I believe Diflucan and other antifungals can cause EKG changes so you may want to look up what else to avoid. Are you eating oatmeal? Not the instant kind... Many women have lots of luck with that increasing their supplies. Good luck, and welcome to our tribe!

Gooey
#249 of 1785 Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 PM

MIL took us out shopping today! We picked up a gerber massaging pump to give it a try because I just couldn't keep up. I tried it out and it did alot better than I would have hand expressing at this time of day with feedings and all. I did some resarch on the old geber pump I had and found out why I was having such trouble it seems everyone did with those things . I only work about 3 hours a day 4 days a week so I don't think it will be a big issue to manual pump for me after hand expressing . So I think I'll try it out for a bit and see how it goes. But I will keep you offers and opinions in mind. Thanks alot.
#250 of 1785 Old 10-24-2006, 11:27 AM

Gooey, your baby has the same birthday as my gandma. Give her a big hug and wish her a belated happy birthday from me. You have done so well with this pumping thing. I hope I can make it as long as you have done!

Mel - I didn't know you had supply issues. did the Dom help a lot? I may try to get a scrip for it, since my supply has drifted downward by about 20%.
#251 of 1785 Old 10-24-2006, 02:31 PM

Gooey

Thanks for your reply, I just realised how few people have said congratulations!

We have tried a SNS, she gets really frustrated with it. We are seeing her Dr this week (who I love) and may decide to try again, she can latch, just needs practice, but the blue episodes were so much worse after BF.

I know that you are right about formula but I don't eat anything that isn't organic and I am giving her mass produced formula - I think that is a big part of my problem with it.

As for oatmeal - I have eaten it for years - organic rolled oat type - had it for lunch as well as breakfast yesterday and pumped 9oz (usually 5oz) in the night!

I don't think that I can pump any more frequently in the night, my output really goes down when I am tired (when am I not), more tired that is.

My baby is so good, very happy, hardly cries (apart from the few days of BF when she was starving) and now sleeps for one five hour stretch at night. She is only 9 weeks corrected so I am very happy!

I will let you know how it goes.

Nawor
#252 of 1785 Old 10-25-2006, 10:11 AM

Swirly: I didn't have supply issues while DD was BFing (at least not that I knew of, although she did seem to gain weight better when she was on strikes). It all started when I took some advice from my LC that wasn't really good advice for me. My supply crashed and DD stopped BFIng. I pumped like a maniac and started Dom. DOn't know how much Dom helped as it could have just increased due to the pumping. But I was freaking out, so depserpately got the DOm. My supply increased from 12 oz/day to about 26 oz/day. I took all the herbs,ate oatmeal, rented the hospital pump, but that was about the max I could produce. So, maybe the dom helped, maybe it didn't. I went back on it a couple of days ago and haven't noticed a difference yet. I hear some women say that it doubles their supply. It can take as little as 24 hours to notice a difference,and for some as long as 3 weeks to reach maximum effect. It is worth a try if you aren't against the drugs. For me, I am using what I have and then that is it. I am being too hard on myself. If my body doesn't want to cooperate, I just need to let it go and do the best I can. I have constantly been beating myself up because I can't pump enough and I have to give formula. And comparing myself to other women who have ample supply and then some, with thousands of oz of frozen BM. It doesn't seem fair, but that is not the way it is for me. Anyway, try the dom. It may help.
#253 of 1785 Old 10-26-2006, 12:35 AM

I think I want to try dom. How do you get a prescription?

I made some low fat pumpkin oatmeal bars w/cranberries & pecans the other day. I'm getting tired of eating bowls oatmeal so it was a nice change. It was also a nice snack. Definitely wouldn't mistake them for cookies (no oil - just the fat from the eggs and nuts) but they were still yummy snacks. I think I'm going to make some more. I'm also going to try out an apple/raisen/walnut version of the recipe. I think it should be prety tasty.

GooeyRN - Happy Birthday to your babe and congratulations on your year of pumping!

Swirly - I hate AF too. She came back really early for me (before I started EPing even) and it always makes things worse. My supply has been slowly dropping. I've been trying to get it back up where it was before, and I think some things have helped but I want more. He eats everything I pump every day. Fortunately he does eat a lot of solids. My daughter didn't, so I know I have a lot to be thankful for. He dropped quite a bit on the charts at the last visit so I'm not sure he's getting quite as much as he wants. The only time I tried to give him formula he puked it up within seconds so I haven't tried it again. Maybe I should. The ped didn't think it was a big deal (and thought I should push solids, not formula) but I'd be much more comfortable if an ounce or two made it to the freezer every now and then.

nawor - Welcome!
#254 of 1785 Old 10-26-2006, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Augh, I really shouldn't have read that. Now I feel all guilty that I didn't try hard enough to get ds back on the breast. And that I continue to pump even though it means ds (or sometimes dd) cries sometimes for a bit despite all my efforts, because I can't pick him up.

I'm having such a hard time, mamas (no one here is offended by that, right? ) I think I'm depressed, pumping is stressing me out big time. But the idea of quitting stresses me out too. Do you think once I get down to 6 min on my 3 am session, I can just drop it, not do 4 min?

We're going to visit DH's sister and family this weekend. I'm feeling stressed about that, too. Trying to work in pumping around other people is hard. And I'm embarassed by it--which bothers me. I'm not ashamed of NIP, so why does it bother me if people know I'm going to pump? I think dumb things like "they don't want to think about THAT".

Ok, that was REALLY rambly. Thanks for listening.
#255 of 1785 Old 10-26-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama-a-llama View Post
Augh, I really shouldn't have read that. Now I feel all guilty that I didn't try hard enough to get ds back on the breast. And that I continue to pump even though it means ds (or sometimes dd) cries sometimes for a bit despite all my efforts, because I can't pick him up.

I'm having such a hard time, mamas (no one here is offended by that, right? ) I think I'm depressed, pumping is stressing me out big time. But the idea of quitting stresses me out too. Do you think once I get down to 6 min on my 3 am session, I can just drop it, not do 4 min?

We're going to visit DH's sister and family this weekend. I'm feeling stressed about that, too. Trying to work in pumping around other people is hard. And I'm embarassed by it--which bothers me. I'm not ashamed of NIP, so why does it bother me if people know I'm going to pump? I think dumb things like "they don't want to think about THAT".

Ok, that was REALLY rambly. Thanks for listening.
Don't feel guilty for what you can't change now. I still kick myself every now and again, thinking "well maybe if I would have..." That gets us nowhere. I do undertand how much pumping sucks, sometimes.

About your 3 am pump, if it were me, I would just drop it. If I only pumped to 6 minutes I would only get an ounce out of one side and zip out of the other. (I am a slow pumper, unfortunatly)

I HATE having to pump when visiting family and such. I too am embarrased about it. In my family, I just tell them what I am doing, and they are ok with it. I am SOOOOO embarrased when it comes to dh's family. I tend to just disappear (leaving dd with dh) and return in 20 minutes.

This past friday, was potentially embarrasing pumping situation for me, but I survived. Dh, myself, and another couple (we know the male well, but not really the female) were going to an Alice Cooper concert that was quite a distance away. I had to pump in the car with the other couple in it!!! On the way there, and on the way back. I managed, and the funny thing is that they didn't even notice!

I do give myself permission to quit now, if it becomes too much. But I will NOT let myself quit on a bad day. Maybe you can give yourself that same rule?
#256 of 1785 Old 10-26-2006, 10:35 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your pumping struggles Llama. It's really hard to let your babes cry while you pump. I've been there, too. I, too, would drop the 3am pump.

On a different note, I'm almost down to four pumps a day. The last two are getting combined and it seems to be working.
#257 of 1785 Old 10-26-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
About your 3 am pump, if it were me, I would just drop it. If I only pumped to 6 minutes I would only get an ounce out of one side and zip out of the other. (I am a slow pumper, unfortunatly)
Yeah, I get about 2 oz right now. I just don't want plugged ducts/mastitis. B/c I use the Symphony, the first 2 min don't actually empty anything anyway.

Quote:
I do give myself permission to quit now, if it becomes too much. But I will NOT let myself quit on a bad day. Maybe you can give yourself that same rule?
I'm hoping that once I actually get down to 4 pumps, it will be manageable through the flu/rsv/etc season. It's the schedule that kills me--he has therapy 3 days, and other appts on the other weekdays. So I really have to stay on, or else we won't be ready for whatever we have that day.
#258 of 1785 Old 10-26-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I get about 2 oz right now. I just don't want plugged ducts/mastitis. B/c I use the Symphony, the first 2 min don't actually empty anything anyway.

I'm hoping that once I actually get down to 4 pumps, it will be manageable through the flu/rsv/etc season. It's the schedule that kills me--he has therapy 3 days, and other appts on the other weekdays. So I really have to stay on, or else we won't be ready for whatever we have that day.
That would be hard, trying to pump around a schedule. I usually don't have one. Btw, how do you like the symphony?
#259 of 1785 Old 10-26-2006, 10:15 PM

I've been eping for 10 weeks now. I was wondering, is it legal to pump in public?
#260 of 1785 Old 10-26-2006, 10:22 PM

I'm not sure if it's legal, but I've certainly done it.
#261 of 1785 Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's legal, but I've certainly done it.
Same here. I always pump in my car and don't really care if people are walking/driving by. Let them call the cops. If its legal to bf, I don't see why it would be illegal to pump. wouldn't it be funny to see the look on the cops face! There isn't always a private place to go. (as we all know!) Now I never sat on a bench at the mall and pumped, but where ever I am, I can usually cover up well enough so no one can tell what I am doing, unless they themselves have pumped.
#262 of 1785 Old 10-27-2006, 10:38 AM

I was pumping outside of a SNF once in my car and I had put up a receiving blanket in the driver's side window to block the sun. There was a tap on my car window, and I pulled down the receiving blanket to see a cop standing there. He quickly appologized and walked away. I think he thought I was a pot smoking teenager getting my smoke on in the car
#263 of 1785 Old 10-27-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I was pumping outside of a SNF once in my car and I had put up a receiving blanket in the driver's side window to block the sun. There was a tap on my car window, and I pulled down the receiving blanket to see a cop standing there. He quickly appologized and walked away. I think he thought I was a pot smoking teenager getting my smoke on in the car

I wish I could have seen the look on his face.
#264 of 1785 Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Here it is legal to expose your breasts, bf/pumping or not. As a partial nudest I love it.
#265 of 1785 Old 10-27-2006, 05:40 PM

Thats cool that don't have to worry about getting arrested for pumping!
#266 of 1785 Old 10-27-2006, 06:01 PM

CC- where do you live?
#267 of 1785 Old 10-27-2006, 06:19 PM

Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. Before I was even pregnant I pushed this issue a little to see how far I could actually go with it. Businesses can turn you away(no shoes no shirt no service) but I could walk down any street/public area/park topless and not be arrested of course I hold respect for others when not bfing, especially around kids, and there are areas where you are stupid to do it without an escort of some sort to take care of the weirdos but at least I don't have to worry about tan lines and Bfing/pumping.
ETA
The cops will however kindly ask you to cover up especially when someone has called it in, but they also remind you that you don't have to by law.
#268 of 1785 Old 10-27-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:

Hey galls,
I dont reallly post her much (sorry, I really should get back in the game here, I post alot on the yahoo group, EPers) but I just wanted to chime in on the Symphony pump. I also use one and LOVE IT, totally saved my supply, but that is another story. Anyway, the first 2 mins are letdown mode, just watch your breasts and as soon as you see/feel the milk beginnning to drip press the "expression button" to enter expression mode. That is the best way to use that feature on the symphony. Also it saves you TIME.

On a side note if you have the upgraded software on the symphony (you can tell if the screen on start up says "Symphony 2.0" verses "Mains") you can use the expression button two ways. First to get the first letdown and then once you are pumping for awhile in the normal mode you can press it again to put you back in letdown mode to more quickly get another letdown. Just as a baby who was hungry would suck faster to get the milk flowing once the first letdown had passed.

If you want to upgrade your software to Symphony 2.0 it is just a card that looks like a credit card that you place in the back of the machine. I imagine that you can purchase those cards for a reasonable price from medela. (but I am not really really sure if it is worth it in my opinion. anyway : )

Andrea
EPing for lola almost 9mths!!!

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#269 of 1785 Old 11-01-2006, 11:55 PM

Well, despite resolving to be an exclusive pumper following DD's recent hospitalization her Dr told me to keep trying to BF and was really encouraging. I was thinking of giving it up completely at 20 wks.

We saw the LC again today and thankfully she messed about like she does at home so we got some great advice. She has upped her intake to 2oz after 40 mins of BF, previously only half an ounce.

Thinking that I would not be gone long (20 mile drive) I didn't take a) my pump, b) milk, c) bottles. On the way home there had been a huge crash on the IS. We sat in the same spot for 50 mins by which time she was SCREAMING!! The shoulder was being used by emergency services whizzing up and down, so, with a very deep breath I DROVE ONTO THE GRASS IN THE MIDDLE (no traffic moving in either direction) and BF for 30 mins. She was so happy and whilst I couldn't measure it it felt like she was nursing properly.

I did have to make a moral support call as I was fearing arrest etc., etc., and confess to being very relieved when she had had enough but what a great day!!

Lovely LC who understands preemies and told me to make sure that I have pumped for when Dad gets home so I can have a break.

Nawor
#270 of 1785 Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 AM

Nawor - that's awesome!

I hope you have many more days like that in the future

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page