Fenugreek Capsules? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2006, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am a long time lurker in the breastfeeding forum, but here's my first post. My ds is almost 4 months old and seems so hungry in the evening. I have read that supply drops in the evening, but his evening nursings (from 5-6 PM until 11 PM) are frequent, bothered and agitated, and my milk doesn't seem to really FLOW at all, so I'm a bit concerned. I don't want dh or myself to be temtped to rush solids because he seems so hungry

I have been eating Oatmeal, drinking a ton of water and bought some Fenugreek Capsules--a touch agressive, but this babe is nice and chunky and I want him to stay that way! Is there any harm in the Funugreek, and is there anything I'm missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
NOpe fenugreek's all good...so is Blessed Thistle, but just the Fenugreek should suffice.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Old 06-07-2006, 02:41 PM

Fenugreek is great! Other herbs are blessed thistle, hops, nettle, red raspberry leaf, and shatavari.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the all clear!!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:16 PM

and just so you know, cluster nursing like that in the evening is very normal and typical behavior.

~claudia
Old 06-07-2006, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It sounds like fennel (or a combination of fennel and any of the others like fenugreek, blessed thistle, marshmallow root) would be a good thing to add. Fennel promotes the milk-ejection reflex (let-down). You can find lots of nursing teas, tinctures and capsules and almost all of them include fennel, fenugreek and at least one other galactalogue.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboClaudia
and just so you know, cluster nursing like that in the evening is very normal and typical behavior.

~claudia
Thanks for this. My older son (now six--seems like a million years ago) was such a disinterested nurser; he preferred sleep over milk any day and had very slow weight gain--perhaps my expectations are off.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:03 PM

I took Fenegreek with DD and just be aware that my LC told me that you may have to take a lot of it for it to be effective. I took so much that I started to smell like maple syrup to those around me. DH loved it but I got really tired of it. I think I took something like three pills/ 3 times a day but you should check with someone about how much to take.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:11 PM

You have to take alot of fenugreek to make it work. You'll know you are taking enough if you smell like maple syrup. I smelled like a pancake for months!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Maple syrup? Strange. We use Fenugreek in cooking--usually to spice vegetables, and I never considered it sweet smelling. But I guess Fenugreek + Milk= maple syrup. Live and learn. I'm taking two capsules twice a day...maybe I'll up it. How soon should this maple syrup smell start?
Old 06-09-2006, 05:22 PM

My LC said you can take up to 16 tablets a day (4tabs/4x a day). It can upset your stomach (and did mine) so gradually work your way up to 16 if you can tolerate it. I started smelling the syrup smell when I went to potty! You will also smell it when you sweat!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sali
Maple syrup? Strange. We use Fenugreek in cooking--usually to spice vegetables, and I never considered it sweet smelling. But I guess Fenugreek + Milk= maple syrup. Live and learn. I'm taking two capsules twice a day...maybe I'll up it. How soon should this maple syrup smell start?
Hmm...mine smell like maple syrup while still in the bottle. And I smell like Waffle House
Old 06-09-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallieb
Hmm...mine smell like maple syrup while still in the bottle. And I smell like Waffle House
Yeh kind of a sickly fakey maple syrup though. Did you know they use Fenugreek to make that fake maple syrup? :

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat

User Tag List