Breastmilk caused constipation?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2006, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I gave some ebm to some friends for their 3 week old daughter (born at 36 weeks gestation due to the doctor inducing for conveneince, grrrr) who was currently only drinking formula because the mom's on heart medications that are risky in breastfeeding. They gave it to her and she became constipated and fussy, they went back on formula and it got better. Why is this?? Also, it sounds like they are going about 5-6 hours between feedings, is this normal for formula babies? I can't go that long between meals or snacks, myself! They may have gone a long time between feeding my milk as well, though I don't know why because she'd breastfed previous children, she'd know better than that. I have to wonder if she was getting enough because they said they fed nothing but it for 2 days, on each feeding almost 4oz at a time, but there was only 25oz that I gave them. Someone explain this to me?!?! I wanted to make this a regular thing and provide milk for her weekly (she's so tiny, and early, that I didn't want 100% formula going against her too) but now they think breastmilk is bad for her so it won't happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good for you for helping out; I don't know why the baby would have that reaction. It seems unlikely though that the bm would be causing the constipation; perhaps it is a coincidence, I was under the impression that formula fed babies have constipation more often. And yes, 5-6 hours seems like a very long time to go between food, especially for a preemie newborn. Maybe you could mention something kindly in passing to her.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sounds a little wierd IMO. I would just be open w/ your concerns. My ds's doc told me there was hardly any chance a baby on breastmilk could get constipated. My ds2 was happy as a clam but not pooping for like a week so I asked It honestly sounds like they weren't giving her enough, and that's probably why she was fussy. I hope this helps, and I hope you do talk to the mamma. Oh and to you for donating the breastmilk!!!

User Tag List