coxsackie virus and tandem nursing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-10-2006, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if I'm putting this in the right place, but I need HELP!
I am about 38 weeks pregnant with baby # 4. My 2yo is still nursing and not planning on stopping any time soon.
Here's my problem, he has coxsackie. You know, that fun virus with the sores in the mouth?! I need to know what to do if the baby is born before he's better. I've heard that it's contagious for a long time.
I've never been pregnant this long(I've only gone as far as 36-37 weeks with the other 3), so I'm pretty sure it won't be too much longer.
There's no way I would wean him now-nursing seems to comfort him so much(milk or no milk), but I'm afraid of making the baby sick. I read that it can be life-threatening to an infant.
Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice for me?
I would really appreciate the help.
Thanks so much!
Barbara
#2 of 6 Old 06-10-2006, 01:34 PM

I would expect that breastfeeding your new babe will give him the immunities he needs. If you're really worried you could limit your ds to one side and the new baby to the other.

-Angela
#3 of 6 Old 06-11-2006, 04:51 PM

My 6 and a half month old has coxsackie and is exclusively BF, so I don't think you can necessarily depend on immunities from breastmilk. I would check with a doc on this one. One idea that occurs to me is to pump for your toddler until he is well.
#4 of 6 Old 06-11-2006, 04:59 PM

I wasn't thinking that every mom could depend on breastmilk for immunity, I was more thinking that since this mom's body has been getting the signals that the virus is around, she'd have lots of immunities being put out in her breastmilk to help the older son fight it off, that in turn, would help the newborn keep from getting it....

-Angela
#5 of 6 Old 06-11-2006, 07:23 PM

That makes sense, Angela. I remember my mother telling me how right when I was born my big brother and sister were both sick - flu or something - but I never had a sniffle. But one additional thought on Coxsackie - my ped told me this virus is airborne. That suggests to me that whether or not the toddler nurses may not make much difference to the baby.
#6 of 6 Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 PM

when my little had it the doctor told me that it is everywhere and that most people have had it or get it, it is just rare for it to be a fullblown case with the actual sores (which is what my son had).

Seems to me that if it is in the air, your breastmilk is going to be producing antibotics and that is the best thing for it.

V.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page