i HATE pumping!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-16-2006, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, i am sure there is a thread on this somewhere....i had a TON of trouble pumping for ds...i even worried that i had low supply and did some herbs to increase which resulted in a very engorged me who could still only pump a tiny bit...i ended up giving up and left work (i worked 20 hours a week then) to nurse him....now with dd there are only 2 times a week when she is away from me and needs a bottle, i have a different pump (i had a pump in style which broke, and now i have a purely yours)....anyway i still can barely get anything and i get soooo frustrated which i know does not help....any tips???

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-16-2006, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

ok, i am sure there is a thread on this somewhere....i had a TON of trouble pumping for ds...i even worried that i had low supply and did some herbs to increase which resulted in a very engorged me who could still only pump a tiny bit...i ended up giving up and left work (i worked 20 hours a week then) to nurse him....now with dd there are only 2 times a week when she is away from me and needs a bottle, i have a different pump (i had a pump in style which broke, and now i have a purely yours)....anyway i still can barely get anything and i get soooo frustrated which i know does not help....any tips???

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#3 of 7 Old 06-16-2006, 12:20 AM

Are the funnel parts which fit around your nipple perhaps too small for you? That can adversely affect your pumping. Also, try to be as warm as possible and massage your breasts while pumping. Some people just don't respond well to pumps, I have heard.
#4 of 7 Old 06-16-2006, 09:51 AM

I know how frustrating it is, mama!! I hear ya completely.

No advice, just empathy.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#5 of 7 Old 06-17-2006, 06:08 PM

I had problems pumping after a few months but things are better with the flange inserts (needed smaller ones after losing weight). Try your visual/meditation using thoughts about baby nursing/ crying etc, this really helps me letdown for the pump. I am now really bonded to the symphony, I have to run to the chair, once i see it I start to let down.

Medela is making a new symphony type personal use pump, although just for one side at a time, it will run around 50bucks.
#6 of 7 Old 06-19-2006, 02:10 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Help Can't pump enough.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#7 of 7 Old 06-19-2006, 10:38 PM

I also use a purely yours and when I started using it, I got much better results if I was single pumping one side and then the other. I'm not sure if all pumps are like this, but I noticed that it splits the suction when you double pump and until I got the hang of pumping and getting a quicker let-down, pumping one side at a time worked better. I also have a hard time getting started/getting a let down w/ the PY when I'm more full/engorged and sometimes I find it's easier to get things started by hand expressing a little (Marmet technique) and then switching to the pump. I think it also really helps to work on letting down more easily. Pump while she is nursing on the other side if you can to cue yourself into relaxing as you feel let down. Hope you can find your pumping groove soon, mama!

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page