Can I Breastfeed if I take Percocet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-18-2006, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took some Percocet for my horrible kidney stone pain. My husband and me decided my 4 year old won't breastfeed while I take it. This is her first night not having me breastfeed her. She's done it before but not like this. This is not how I want her to wean. My other choice of painkiller is Tylenol 3 but the doctor told me that is also a problem with breastmilk. My heart is breaking. . I really don't know what to do.
#2 of 7 Old 06-18-2006, 08:29 AM

I was given Percocet after a c section and told it was fine to nurse. That was several years ago though. Try looking at http://www.kellymom.com for more up to date information. There is a book by Dr. Hale, someone who owns it will hopefully look here!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#3 of 7 Old 06-18-2006, 08:45 AM

I also had percocet after a c-section and was told it fine.

I would google Motherrisk - great website that tells you all about drugs and breasfeeding.

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#4 of 7 Old 06-18-2006, 11:41 AM

Percocet is fine to take and nurse!! I've been nursing my two children, and I've been taking it for close to 2 months now for severe kidney stone pain. Absolutly no side effects that I can see, not even drowsiness in them.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#5 of 7 Old 06-18-2006, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

My thanks for the advice and my condolences about your kidney stone pain. That is a long time to have them. Mine have lasted almost a month.
#6 of 7 Old 06-18-2006, 06:34 PM

I suffer from chronic migraines after meningitis. I take Morphine for chronic pain daily and probably will have to for the rest of my life.

It was a concern while I was pregnant and we went into a good deal of research before deciding to breastfeed. I even had the hospital check my milk to see what percentage of my medication would be passed along.

There was only incredibly low traces of medication detected in my breastmilk at all. I probably take a much higher dossage than you would of hydracodone in a day than you would in a week.

While I wouldn't run rampant and give yourself an addiction problem, your body is very good at protecting your baby.

If your worried try getting your milk tested.

P.S Baby had no problems with withdrawal after birth either, the body is a marvellous thing.
#7 of 7 Old 06-18-2006, 06:35 PM

Percocet is fine to BF with. Especially a four year old. No need to worry!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page