Am I almost done?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-01-2006, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My littlest is nearly 2. She is showing NO SIGNS of wanting to stop bf. I want her to self wean, but I am SO WORN OUT. She is my third, and I breastfed my first two until my milk dried up during the next pregnancy (though they still nursed occasionally after that). So I've been doing this for SIX YEARS STRAIGHT. I feel torn. I want the little goo to have her moo as long as she likes... but coping with bf still is getting really difficult. I tried to night wean her for a while, and she DID go along with it for a few months, but now we're back. How can I resist when I say "no baby, no moo, hug" and then she cries and says "I want MOO pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease" in the cutest sleepiest voice possible.

She's also a major daddy's girl... She was since birth. But daddy left, and the kids only see him once every few months. I think her picking up on nursing again is her way of coping.

She's also a HORRIBLE nipple twiddler. I mean it HURTS. I try to cover the "other moo" with my shirt, or my arm, but she persists and shoves her hand up my shirt (or down it if we're not lying down). She definately does this for comfort too, it's what she likes to do when she is sleepy.

I love my little nursling, I am just so worn out. What do I do???
#2 of 9 Old 07-01-2006, 11:45 AM

My dd is nearly two also and not going to wean any time soon. She likes the neck best for picking.... arg. Work on the nursing manners. She's old enough to get better about that. Talk about it a LOT (my dd will tell you- no hands on the neck!) Figure out the bits that make you the most irritated and worn out and work on those first and see how you feel if you can get those improved.

-Angela
#3 of 9 Old 07-01-2006, 12:00 PM

I don't have and have never had an older nursling, but I second trying to work on her nursing manners. Maybe you could substitute a blanket for her to fondle while feeding. My friend bf her toddler and they have struggled with etiquette. She ended up keeping small soft blankie with satin trim for him to touch while bf. Good luck mama!!!
#4 of 9 Old 07-01-2006, 01:40 PM

I have recently heard of "nursing necklaces" and am thinking of trying one. You can google it and see where to get one but I bet you could make one too. They are just necklaces with beads that don't break easily. the baby can play with the beads instead of your other "moo" (that is so cute - moo) My dd is only 5 month but is a major twiddler. I feel your pain. ow quit it, ow quit it, ow quit it :
#5 of 9 Old 07-02-2006, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

i tried a nursing necklace... baby was NOT interested, like "why would i want to play with these cold hard things when i can have my nice soft moo??"

im going to try to find something soft and snuggly though. maybe i'll knit her a blankie
#6 of 9 Old 07-02-2006, 12:57 PM

Yeah, nursing necklaces didn't work for us either. Nor did blankets I'm sorry to say..... alas, there's nothing like mama

-Angela
#7 of 9 Old 07-02-2006, 09:58 PM

when my older son was nursing he would also try his best to twiddle. I had to cover the other side with my free hand firmly to keep him from getting in there. I also kept gently telling him to keep his hands to himself, so he started twiddling his own nipple He is weaned now, but he still finds comfort in his nipples LOL and when he is going to sleep he puts his hand up his shirt.
#8 of 9 Old 07-02-2006, 11:59 PM

i had this problem. lay on your side with your non nusring boobn smashed into the bed. redirect her hand and do not let her get them in here. i found it helped our relationship when my skin was not crawling from the twiddling. omg. i thought i would end up throwing ds across the room. i was pg when toddler nursing reaaaallly bothered me- i was in tears nightly- not wanting to even be with him- but horrified of damaging him due to weaning him. what i have learned is that he would have been much happier had i just set limits and boundaries to what i felt comfortable with than being a psycho mom and gritting my teeth and being so resentful.
2 years good job. 6 years. omg. ds is 3 now and dd is 7 months. ds is still asking but i just can not nurse him.
#9 of 9 Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 AM

When we had a similar problem (pinching my arm, ouch!), I would hold his hand and gently say no pinching. If he didn't stop, I'd stop the nursing so really listened. It only took a week or so, though occasionally he still tries if he is tired, but always stops if I remind him. In fact, he did it today, I said honey that hurts, so then he crawled half over me to kiss it better

Good luck though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page