No Milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-08-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My milk is gone. This morning I went to nurse and no letdown, no leaking, no swallowing, no milky smile. Apparently, my fever during mastitis effected my milk supply really badly. I'm working like crazy to bring it back up with fennel, tea, nursing, and pumping, but so far, nothing. The breast that had the infection is still hard, red and warm although I feel better physically. Kirsten is so frustrated, and hungry. I'm devestated. Literally, sitting here in tears at the computer. I just don't know what to do.....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#2 of 14 Old 07-08-2006, 03:59 PM

Wow, mama, how awful and frustrating! I don't have any advice (was coming to post my own bf'ing problems), just lots of hugs for you and your girl.
#3 of 14 Old 07-08-2006, 04:32 PM

Oh, JayGee...I'm so sorry. I'm sure people on the bfing boards will have even more suggestions to help you out. Hang in there!
#4 of 14 Old 07-08-2006, 04:36 PM

Moved to breastfeeding Challenges...

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#5 of 14 Old 07-08-2006, 04:36 PM

I had some trouble at about week 3 because wyatt had jaundice and wasn't nursing. keep pumping and nursing-thats all I could do. I didn't have mastitis though so a little different situation I know. I just know that my milk did finally pick back up and we are fine now. Good luck!

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#6 of 14 Old 07-08-2006, 04:40 PM

just wait, and keep going. I've had mastitis five times and had a noticable drop in supply every single time.

with that said, hungry babies do need to be fed, and if she has less than six wet diapers today you might want to think about some formula in a syringe, cup or SNS, try and avoid the bottle if you can. good luck.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#7 of 14 Old 07-08-2006, 07:28 PM

Keep offering the breast. You didn't say how old your baby was, but I would definitely keep offering, even if you must supplement. While you're at it, go get a pregnancy test and take it to be on the safe side. I had a pregnancy go unnoticed for 14 weeks and was wondering "where is my milk!!!!????" But on top of that I had become very ill with a stomach virus, and thought the virus was to blame. I only WISH that someone would have told me to keep nursing, even if there was nothing there. I ended up weaning my beautiful son at 6 months : I am almost 37 weeks pregnant now with baby brother, and I've made some attempts to get DS#1 to latch on, but he is 11 months old now and loves his ba-ba I will never make that mistake again.
I hope you feel better soon. But like I said, keep nursing even if its just for comfort. Someday your milk just might come back!
#8 of 14 Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh Kristina . I've no advice to get your supply back up that you probably haven't already done, just wanted to offer hugs and support.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#9 of 14 Old 07-09-2006, 02:05 PM

Once the fever is gone your milk should come back within a few days. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but if your baby is really hungry and you don't have any stored BM, I would give the baby some formula. In my view, starving a child for YOUR principles is worse than a little bit of formula. A few days is a long time for a wee baby to go hungry. Are you taking antibiotics?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#10 of 14 Old 07-09-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy
In my view, starving a child for YOUR principles is worse than a little bit of formula. A few days is a long time for a wee baby to go hungry.
WELL SAID! Grrr... you know I was just reading another post, and someone was getting flamed UP AND DOWN and a whole separate argument ensued. I don't even know if I'm allowed to be mentioning this, so I apologize if I've broken a rule. But if I could, I would tell you to go to that post and tell these incredibly rude people what you just told us here.
PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS- NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO DO THINGS YOUR WAY!

Did I WANT to wean my son at 6 months? HELL NO. Does the OP want to wean? NO. We all go through rough times, and it REALLY pisses me off that there are people here who will say the nastiest things just because you didn't "try hard enough" or go to extensive lengths to get donor milk or make some kind of special formula. You can be SURE that I did the best with the situation that was handed to me, and the OP is doing the same with her child. No one here has any right to judge the efforts of another mother and tell them they aren't doing good enough.

OP, I'm sure you will make the right decision and do what is best for your child.

#11 of 14 Old 07-09-2006, 04:59 PM

I hope you've seen some improvement in supply today. I wish I could help! How are things today?
#12 of 14 Old 07-09-2006, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy
Once the fever is gone your milk should come back within a few days. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but if your baby is really hungry and you don't have any stored BM, I would give the baby some formula. In my view, starving a child for YOUR principles is worse than a little bit of formula. A few days is a long time for a wee baby to go hungry. Are you taking antibiotics?
I've been offering formula after each nursing session ~ she gets a taste and goes ballistic on me ! She obviously does not enjoy it at all. I don't want her to starve. I am on Bactrim after having an allergic reaction to dicloxacillin.

Overall, things seem a little better today. I am producing some milk, just not as much as before. And I still have that hard wedge of breast on my right side that looks sort of black and blue. I'd have thought that would have gone away too...

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#13 of 14 Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 AM

Wow, black and blue?! You poor dear. I seem to get a fever when my milk comes in but I haven't experienced mastitis, it sounds downright terrible.

I hope tomorrow finds your milk flowing nicely and your poor body on the mend.
#14 of 14 Old 07-10-2006, 11:57 PM

did you have an injury to that breast also? HUGS to you mama. Keep up all your hard work. Warm compresses and massage will help a lot. If you're not opposed to taking it, motrin will help pain and inflammation. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page