Help with a plugged duct - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-11-2006, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so for my birthday (the 8th) I wanted to have a couple drinks, so I pumped some milk for the babe and I probably went about 5 hours w/o nursing on that side. Well, that night I noticed I was getting sore and started applying heat, massaging and nursing alot on that side. I am now on the 3rd day and it is still sore. It is on the outer side, and now is extending into my armpit. Nothing seems to be helping. My daughter doesn't want to cooperate with nursing as long as I want her to. I don't know what else to do. I do NOT want to start anitbiotics because dd and I have a long history of developing thrush (in fact we just got over thrush last week). I am so frustrated. I have tried hot showers, nursing while bent over her. Does anyone have any more tips? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-11-2006, 11:46 AM

Have you tried manually expressing while in the shower? This sometimes worked for me. I would concentrate on the sore, plugged area. My birthday is July 8th too. I hope it resolves soon.
#3 of 4 Old 07-11-2006, 12:00 PM

Plugged Ducts and Mastitis - great info from KellyMom
#4 of 4 Old 07-11-2006, 02:30 PM

I get plugged ducts all the time and have had mastitis 3 times. If you don't already, take soy lecithin. It helps prevent and clear plugged ducts. Keep using warm compresses for 15 minutes before each nursing session. I don't know how difficult this would be, but I find (I EP) that massaging during pumping (for you BFing) really helps. Sometimes it can take a couple of days to get rid of it. And you need to be careful that it doesn't progress to full-blown mastitis. If you are diligent about heat/massaging, you can clear it up without needing antibiotics. I had mild cases and they cleared up on their own. Also, if the plug is near your armpit, try to orient yourself so that your DDs chin is near the plug. You will have to try an awkward position, but that is where the suck is strongest. I hope it clears up soon for you.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page