Not feeling Let-Down as much.....15 mo. nursling..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-12-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am currently nursing my 15 month old son. He nurses on average around 6-8 times a day plus all through the night. I have been nursing him since the day he was born with no let-down/milk supply problems. I have always felt my Let-Down very strongly......knowing that he is getting the milk he wants and needs. However, the last few days, I have not been feeling the let-down as strong and it seems my supply is a little lower.

Now, sometimes during menstruation/ovulation, I notice a difference in my supply, but neither of those things are happening right now.

So, I was just curious as to what could be making my let-down seem less strong and my milk supply seem lower. Are there any things that I could be eating that could be affecting this? And could I possibly be pregnant?

I would greatly appreciate any possible clues as to what is going on.....or any tips/suggestions.

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 07-12-2006, 03:23 PM

It is pretty normal to stop feeling the let-down as your baby gets older, it usually has nothing to do with supply. There most likely is no problem at all. Does your baby seem like his usual, satisfied self? Even if you have a slight dip in supply, if you have not had supply issues in the past, just feed your baby as usual and it will go back to normal.

Quote:
And could I possibly be pregnant?
Only you can answer that question.
#3 of 6 Old 07-12-2006, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the positive note. I hope you are right.

I only asked about the pregnancy thing cause I wasn't really sure how women can tell they are pregnant when they are breastfeeding. I had heard that a dip in supply is one of the possible signs, but I wasn't for sure how quick that happens.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup
It is pretty normal to stop feeling the let-down as your baby gets older, it usually has nothing to do with supply. There most likely is no problem at all. Does your baby seem like his usual, satisfied self? Even if you have a slight dip in supply, if you have not had supply issues in the past, just feed your baby as usual and it will go back to normal.

Only you can answer that question.
#4 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 01:14 PM

My nursling is 15 mths, too, and I quit feeling let down a couple of months ago. I got very worried because I was accustomed to oversupply and a strong let down, but it hasn't proven to be a problem at all. DS still nurses several times a day with "snackies" in between and seems satisfied. I wouldn't worry.
#5 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Many women dont feel let down, or only feel the first let down, most women have 2 at a session I read it in the Breastfeeding Answer Book by LLL. Watch his suck and swallow pattern, when his swallow speeds up you are having a let down
#6 of 6 Old 07-15-2006, 03:17 AM

That's neat to know about let down Rozzie'sma! Thanks for sharing!

Dw'smamma... I never felt much let down... so as long as he seems satisfied, I'd say you are good to go!! Even if he starts to need to nurse more to increase supply at times, you should be fine... my ds will sometimes nurse longer & on both sides when trying to increase milk after a previous busy day when he didn't nurse as much!

Jennifer, mama to Zander (04), Maddie (07) & Lizzie (10/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page