relactating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-13-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my sister had bad advice, little support, and in the hospital she was encouraged to give her baby formula (at 24 hours old becuase she 'couldnt pump enough" ) so now at 3 months old her baby is on formula. I told her that some people do relactate and she seemed intrested. With her work/school scedual I dont know if she will be able to do anything 24/7 but she would like to be able to give her baby any milk she can.

has anyone done this? can you do part time relactating? any good links i can send her?
#2 of 9 Old 07-13-2006, 06:11 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

http://www.lact-aid.com/rpt025.htm

Single mom of 2 boys
#3 of 9 Old 07-13-2006, 06:15 PM

#4 of 9 Old 07-15-2006, 03:11 AM

Looks like you have the links, I just want to send support!!

Jennifer, mama to Zander (04), Maddie (07) & Lizzie (10/09)
#5 of 9 Old 07-15-2006, 11:09 AM

Yes, she can! I know someone who successfully relactated for a 6 month old...and he was 100% BF'd after a bit...she got to a point she didn't even have to supplement!

Good luck!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#6 of 9 Old 07-19-2006, 04:39 PM

I'm working on it and dealing with triplets. It is slower but still possible to do it with whatever schedule she has.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#7 of 9 Old 07-20-2006, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I posted this elsewhere too -- but how old is too old to relactate? My triplets are 19 months - have been weaned since 6 months - and are sick all the time. If someone would tell me that nursing them now will abate some of the constant illness in our house - I'd seriously consider it. Is it even possible?

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#8 of 9 Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 PM

I relactated. I BF for two weeks, got really sick and had to stop. A month later, I started trying to relactate. I just started breastfeeding again, and my milk came back in after a few weeks. I eventually made enough to stop supplementing with formula.

TripMom, it's totally possible to start relactating, but with older babies, they might not be interested. If you want to give it a shot, go ahead! You don't need anyone's permission. If you are really serious, but the babies aren't into it, maybe you can pump to relactate for them.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#9 of 9 Old 07-20-2006, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
TripMom, it's totally possible to start relactating, but with older babies, they might not be interested. If you want to give it a shot, go ahead! You don't need anyone's permission. If you are really serious, but the babies aren't into it, maybe you can pump to relactate for them.
I am sure the world will think I'm nuts - but I'm exhausted from constant illness with them - keeping them up all night, crying, etc. And one of my babies has been struggling with upper respiratory problems - I'm afraid he's developing asthma (this has been suggested to us in one of at least 3 or 4 emergency room visits in his short life). Do you think it would help?

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page