Older babies&learning to BF - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2006, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone here ever get their older baby to BF? My dd is almost 9 months. I have been EPing for her. She was low birthweight and a few weeks early, could not latch, suck or stay awake. I saw 2 LC's and talked to several others, never got the problem solved. So... at 9 months I am STILL EPing. She screams if I try to BF her. A few times she took my breast, chomped down, and turned her head stretching my nipple much further that you would believe one could stretch! She is teething now, so I don't know if I want to go through that now. Do you guys think there is any hope? I tried the skin to skin stuff, the warm baths together, trying when she is very drowsy, etc and all that stuff. Did anyone ever have success? I have a whole lot of milk to offer so that isn't the issue. She did a little starting at 2 weeks old, but then quit completely at 3 months. She never took a full "meal" at the breast. I always had to give her ebm afterwards. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006, 07:59 PM

Totally possible - check out adoptive breastfeeding links because alot of those moms start breastfeeding older babes and they have some really good suggestions on how to make the transition. It can take some time and some tricks - but you can do it.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Where are the adoptive breastfeeding links? I am still kind of new here and don't find things easily.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:55 PM

My dd had a bunch of latch and silent reflux issues. It took almost 6 months to get her completey on the breast - and it was SO worth it. She'll be two in a couple of months.

NAK
mandy

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Old 07-14-2006, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boheime
My dd had a bunch of latch and silent reflux issues. It took almost 6 months to get her completey on the breast - and it was SO worth it. She'll be two in a couple of months.

NAK
mandy
Can you share your story? I would love for it to work, but I am not very hopeful since she is already (almost) 9 months old.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:55 PM

I would also like to hear your story, as I have a 5-month-old who I EP for who has had latch and reflux issues. She can latch, and sometimes "snacks" at the breast, but screams and cries most of the time. She nursed a few times in her first days, then from about 3-6 weeks old with a nipple shield, then only occasional latches or snacks since then. I still offer the breast often, and express milk directly into her mouth and hope one day to be a nursing mama.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:14 AM

I believe there is a adoptive breastfeeding site called fourfriends.com with great info & success stories of children even older then 9 mos!!

You mamas are so dedicated, your babies are lucky to have you!

Jennifer, mama to Zander (04), Maddie (07) & Lizzie (10/09)

User Tag List