Mothering Forum banner

Need wise mamas and support for relactating...

2K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  SleepyMamaBear 
#1 ·
So, I'm wanting to relactate. It's been twelve years since I've lactated and little Clementine has suckled on me from day one. Lately she's been doing it alot more and I can usually nurse her to sleep, etc., with it. It really helps having four breasts in the house. I just wish mine didn't have to wait until times where her belly was already full.

So, I've read the protocols on asklenore.com. I'm totally NOT going to do progesterone bc pills (they'll make me nuts, really) and I'm willing to get domperidone, but do I really need any?

Can I just pump often and do fenugreek/blessed thistle?

If Clem is nursing on me on one side, do I count this as a time that I don't need to pump? If I pump, do I do it on both sides? For how long?

Any other words of advice is so welcome.
Thanks, Mamas.

Oh, and here's a pic of me and Clem over the weekend: http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jun061pf1.jpg

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AddysMama
Pamela, my sister still has the pump, if you want it. you will need a new pump kit, thingy, i think those are like 45 at hospitals, and she is sellign it for $75. let me know if you want it. i will bring it to the picnic.
I do want it! thank you! I can bring you the money then, too.

#28 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
Ohhhh... I have to come visit you! I want to see this in *person*.
She is soooo sweet...
she's brilliantly fat.

still no new progress, still taking the dom, nursing Clem and pumping.

waiting.

anyone have any idea when women start to see an increase? I know it hasn't even been a week, I'm just curious. My breasts totally feel different.

#30 ·
Well, I'm not pumping as often as I should be and little Ms Clem isn't nursing as much as she was. When I do pump, I still get sticky droplets on my nipples (some are greenish?), but nothing else. Monday will be two weeks on the dom.

I'm gonna get a Medela PIS pump on Sunday. That will help, I think. The Avent was giving me some "rub burns" on my areola.

#34 ·
well, in the past day, I've gotten drops (some large!) of white fluid! this is quite a change from the past. in fact, when I pull the pump away, my breast is completely wet! there's no stream down to the bottle part (I'm using a manual right now), but I'm going to start on the Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek today and start pumping more.

Tiffany is bringing me a good pump on Sunday, so that will be nice. My hands are killing me with the manual!

Yay for droplets of milk!

#35 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3daughters
Did you take out the 'petal' silicon insert? It really constricts the hole in the flange. I stopped using it almost immediately after I bought my ISIS and what a difference!
yes! this made a big difference! thank you!

#36 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcyC
Have you tried using an SNS or lact-aid when you nurse her?
no - only because I'm not the main nurser. I have an SNS but it's so drippy and I'm considering buying a Lact-Aid, but I don't have the money for it right now.

I may do it very soon, though, esp if my partner goes back to work.

oh, and she is taking my breast more often now. I doubt she realizes there's any milk at all coming out, but she seems willing. I keep trying, esp when she's asleep or going to sleep.

#37 ·
do you have the pump kit to go with the PIS?
i have one extra nipple cup thingy and bottle, they arent streile right now. if you NEED them i can boil them for you, but i think in the long run it would be easier and best for you to get a kit from the hospital.
i most certainly will bring the pump on sunday! my myspace is being wonky so i am replying here.

#39 ·
i dont mind one bit! i will run it through the dishwasher on saturday and put it in the carrying case before leaving.
so excited to meet you! and i have to say uber congrats on the drops!

#41 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mezzaluna
it's funny to think that she may not be yours biologically - but you're starting to feed her milk *you* made with your body, so now some of her really has come from you

That is cool!

Enjoy the PIS. It will save your hands but is limiting because with the manual you can walk around but with the electric you'll be "attached" to the wall while you pump. It will stimulate your breasts better and both at the same time

#45 ·
I'm getting milk that is actually falling into the bottle of the pump! It's just a small amount - under a tsp for both breasts combined - but it's something!

I am feeling discouraged, though, because for the first time since birth, Clementine has started refusing me. I don't know what to do about it. Part of me feels like I should just give up since she's not wanting to nurse except for when she's sleeping. She's not a big comfort nurser anyway. I felt like this might happen, but now I'm not sure what to do.

Any ideas??

#46 ·
I guess I should add that today when I pumped, I got way more than I ever have. It was encouraging. Talking to my partner, she felt like it's worth it, it just may take the baby awhile to realize that I have milk. We think with a Lact-Aid and my partner not being around that perhaps it will work.

I think we should have started this about three months sooner!

For now, I'll keep offering, keep pumping, keep doing the herbs/meds. It's so exciting! There's milk coming out of me! Yay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.