Mothering Forum banner

Need wise mamas and support for relactating...

2K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  SleepyMamaBear 
#1 ·
So, I'm wanting to relactate. It's been twelve years since I've lactated and little Clementine has suckled on me from day one. Lately she's been doing it alot more and I can usually nurse her to sleep, etc., with it. It really helps having four breasts in the house. I just wish mine didn't have to wait until times where her belly was already full.

So, I've read the protocols on asklenore.com. I'm totally NOT going to do progesterone bc pills (they'll make me nuts, really) and I'm willing to get domperidone, but do I really need any?

Can I just pump often and do fenugreek/blessed thistle?

If Clem is nursing on me on one side, do I count this as a time that I don't need to pump? If I pump, do I do it on both sides? For how long?

Any other words of advice is so welcome.
Thanks, Mamas.

Oh, and here's a pic of me and Clem over the weekend: http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jun061pf1.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
It does sound like you can use galactagogues without medication.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

I think as long as you are getting nipple stimulation within the suggested time frame it counts. Breastfeeding is certainly better for stimulation than pumping.

I can look in my cabinets as I think I might still have some MM tea.

#4 ·
What a beautiful shot! Looking at the picture I never would have guessed that your were her co-mom!

Just sharing my experience: I've been attempting to relactate for 2 months now after a 4 month nursing strike during which I thought dd had weaned. DD is 27 months now and nurses 1x in the morning and 2-3x in the evening (I work full time) and I still do not have a significant milk supply. I tried oatmeal and fenugreek without great results.

I've come to terms with the fact that dd uses my breasts for comfort and not for feeding (any breastmilk she gets in the process is an added bonus). I make a great pacifier
and I'm so happy to continue our nursing relationship.

#6 ·
What a beautiful photo. It made me smile.

You can go the dom route, but it is expensive. I'd start with lots of pumping (15 minutes per side every 2 hours) and the Mother's Milk Blend from Motherlove. Other than that, just do what you normally do when nursing - lots of fluid, rest, etc.

I think it's wonderful you're relactating!

#8 ·
So yesterday was the first earnest day. I didn't have to pump at all, as she nursed every three hours or so, and then again in the middle of the night.

Today I'm getting some Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek. I'm increasing my water intake (because I suck at getting enough).

Whooo!

#9 ·
Best of luck! Try adding oatmeal to your diet too. That seems to be the best milk booster for me.

Just looking for signs of possible milk production since you have been nursing her since she was born: Can you hear her swallowing at all when she is at the breast? Can you express any milk in the shower?

#10 ·
no advice Pam, cause i am not the person to get relactating advice from, mine dont work, but i wanted to tell you that you are inspiring and amazing, and that picture makes me grin ear to ear. DH was over my shoulder when i clicked on it, and i told him you were a local midwife, and that you were her co-mother, he said "you would never know she isnt her bio mom from looking, and when we get pregnant you should see her!"
so you have two fans in our house!

#11 ·
I've always struggled with a poor milk supply, so I've tried everything from prescription to herbal remedies. I've had a lot of luck with Fenugreek and drinking lots of waters, but watch out because I have found it rough on the stomach for the first week until your body gets used to it.

I also have a lot of luck with what my lactation consultant calls the "super pump" where you watch an hour long show on tv and double pump during the commercials. After about three days, you should really notice a difference in your supply. It's been a couple of years though so I can't remember how often one should do this per day (maybe once or twice?)

#14 ·
i meant them whole heartedly.
please let us know how relactation is going! i think its wonderful.
and what a lucky lil girl, having two mommies, two pairs of breasts to get nourishment and comfort from, two beautiful faces to look up at while nursing.

Quote:
I adore Clementine and have from the first time I felt her move under my hands in her mama's womb! She's just as good as biological to me.
i think that says it all.
what a belssed family!

are you coming to the baby wearing conference on Saturday?

#15 ·
are you coming to the baby wearing conference on Saturday?[/QUOTE]

Well, we have a booth @ salem sat mkt and we don't close until 3. Is there anything going on around 5?

Some pumping today and still taking the herbs. I feel weird stuff going on in my breasts, but not sure if its in my mind.

I think I may have to get an electric pump, tho!

And baby Clem is into biting! She has two sharp little teeth that she's trying out...ouch!

I'll keep updating.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pamamidwife
I feel weird stuff going on in my breasts, but not sure if its in my mind.
ditto!!! (i'm trying to relactate as well) can someone tell us if that means that we are developing milk or if its in our heads. i hope it means something is happening
:
TIA

#17 ·
i am keeping my
: that its your breasts revving up...

the fashion show is at 7:30, and the exhibit hall is open til 7 full of GORGEOUS carriers. and i will be working the registration desk. wink wink nudge nudge, in case you wanna come say hi.

and saturday the exhibit hall is open to public free!

oh teeth *gringe*

um unless she sold it my sis has a PIS she could sell you fairly cheap... i'll ask her.

#18 ·
Ok, then, it looks like we might be able to head up!
That would be fun!

I'll have to look out for you!

Let me know about the PIS. That would be awesome. There's on on the TP for $150, but it's a bit steep right now. Waiting on a couple insurance payments...

#19 ·
I took a break over the weekend because I was getting some Dom. I am now taking the Dom and pumping - and I'm getting continuous droplets on my nipples!
Yay!

It's harder trying to do this without the meds, I think because I'm not the sole nurser. If I were to nurse Clem as often as I needed or pump as much, I'm sure it would be somewhat easier.

Anyway, thanks for all the support! I think we're on our way.

#24 ·
Great for you! I would use the supplemental nursing system (SNS) in the meantime to up your supply. Try the baby to the breast first though and then use the tube. Pump when you can and use the herbs. Use only a hospital grade pump though. The Pump in Style is only for those who already have milk and want to maintain their supply. You can contact Madela and they will tell you this and give suggestions for the hospital grade pumps for developing a supply - such as the Classic, Latina, or Symphony pumps. Over time you will develop a supply if you do this. Remember, just 1 tsp. of breastmilk has 3 million germ fighting cells! (kellymom.com). I wish you well!

#25 ·
Pamela, my sister still has the pump, if you want it. you will need a new pump kit, thingy, i think those are like 45 at hospitals, and she is sellign it for $75. let me know if you want it. i will bring it to the picnic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.