Dairy allergy and latch ,maybe more? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2006, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ARG!Oh!I mean,Hello,friends! So here's the thing,Ds is 3 mo. old today!(WOW!, I just realized this!)Anyway,I'm 99% certain he has dairy allergies.I have been careful about my intake for the last month,which is SO VERY hard for me,and each time I've slipped,my theory has held true.When I have dairy, baby is very fussy,gassy,uncomfortable,thus does not sleep well,and is more and more not happy to nurse!!!I fear a strike comming on! I need support in this new world of non-dairy,and I need to figure out what exactly is going on with his body,so I can figure out what to do with mine!On top of all this,we are working with a latch problem from him trying to curb my strong letdown-he doesn't open wide,and doesn't have his chin in-close to the breast.Also,and this is a huge shocker-I've been SO close to getting a pacifier,as he has a very strong urge to suck,but gets mad with the milk.He has almost found his thumb,and loves to suck on his burp cloths,hands,anyone's fingers-dad and siblings-his car seat strap,anything he can get his hands on!I need some calming techniques here!I always just nursed to solve anything, and he is not going for it!The trick is,I need calming techniques that will not endanger latch,or my supply or, most of all, his desire to nurse.
Thanks in advance!

:::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 09:34 AM

We had to eliminate all dairy. In fact, if someone touches him with a hand that has lotion that contains milk, DS breaks out in hives.

I am OK with soy cheeses, though they do not taste great by themselves but are OK mixed with other things. Read labels, though - some rice, soy or almond cheeses contain whey! I love vanilla rice milk as a milk alternative. Also, my health food store sells dairy-free chocolate. Mmmmmmm!

I don't have experience with the latching (DS was on a stupid nipple shield until he was 4 months old) so hopefuly someone with more experience will help you there.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks,I did finally buy me some soy milk.I SO hope he is not allergic to it!
Does dark chocolate have milk in it?
I hear ya on the labels,whey is in almost everything!!!
I'm going to try goat cheeses,I know I like some of them,and the kids don't so it'll be safely mine
I may have to go without wheat too,I'm getting some hints,but I want to be 100% dairy free before going that far...
Which store are you talking about?(We live close enough I could check it out.)

Old 08-30-2006, 10:52 AM

There are a few health food stores near me. Some dark chocolate has milk, some doesn't.

DS is allergic to goat milk but not sheep. Also, he does OK with raw milk cheese. Raw milk still has the digestive enzyme lactase which helps process milk sugar, lactose. The only place I can get raw milk cheese is at the Real Foods Store in Orem. I love them, they are so friendly!!
Old 08-30-2006, 11:20 AM

and all chocolate (regardless of milk) is often a problem for babies who are breastfed because of a specific chemical that is hard for their livers to digest... so be wary of that...

are you open to pediatric chiropractic and craniosacral therapy? see here for a person in your area: www.icpa4kids.com it sounds like it might help in your in your situation...

~claudia
Old 08-30-2006, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have been considering this,yes,and thanks.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Also,and this is a huge shocker-I've been SO close to getting a pacifier,as he has a very strong urge to suck,but gets mad with the milk.He has almost found his thumb,and loves to suck on his burp cloths,hands,anyone's fingers-dad and siblings-his car seat strap,anything he can get his hands on!I need some calming techniques here!I always just nursed to solve anything, and he is not going for it!The trick is,I need calming techniques that will not endanger latch,or my supply or, most of all, his desire to nurse.
After about 4 weeks, when dealing with raw nipples and thrush and a reflux baby who wanted to suck, suck, suck, we used a pacifier. Frankly, it has been a lifesaver. I know they are evil around these parts and I used to feel that way, but no more. I can tell when ds just needs to suck and use it sparingly. It gives my sore nipples a breather and calms him immediately. It hasn't harmed our nursing relationship at all - he still nurses every 2 hours during the day. He won't take it anyway if he is hungry!
Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 AM

DEFINITELY craniosacral therapy! That should get his little mouth to open wider. Also, have you considered taking a magnesium supplement? It will relax the milk ejection reflex and may make it more tolerable for the babe.

Your instincts are likely right. Get rid of dairy, and I wouldn't be so quick to replace it with soy. Maybe if you absolutely need to drink a replacement go for almond milk or hazelnut milk. Make sure you read labels and eliminate it completely-it goes by many names. After about a month it should be out of your system and you will know for sure. You could also try taking some digestive enzymes specifically for proteins (peptins) to help break down what your body isn't doing on it's own. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:13 PM

When I had to eliminate dairy, it was *everything*- I had to watch for milk, whey, casien, anything milk- derived, or we were sorry! Lots of soy cheese has casien, so watch it! Good luck to you- it's rough sometimes, but it's not always a permanant thing (my no-milk baby is now a cheese-loving toddler) and it's ALWAYS worth it
Old 09-04-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva
After about 4 weeks, when dealing with raw nipples and thrush and a reflux baby who wanted to suck, suck, suck, we used a pacifier. Frankly, it has been a lifesaver. I know they are evil around these parts and I used to feel that way, but no more. I can tell when ds just needs to suck and use it sparingly. It gives my sore nipples a breather and calms him immediately. It hasn't harmed our nursing relationship at all - he still nurses every 2 hours during the day. He won't take it anyway if he is hungry!
: ALL that! Actually if babe has reflux(which MANY allergic babes have) a bink is actually a really good thing. I found out through info on Dr. Sears' site w/my 1st (reflux) dd that the bink helps to create saliva which helps cut the acid. absolute lifesaver for us . . .
as for dairy . . . oh dairy . . . been 8 long months w/out for me and now no eggs too. Totally worth all the pain though. Good luck and figure out what you CAN eat!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

It's officially dairy. What are all the words to look for on labels?I've been off for a month now,but some how he is acting like we got some dairy....PLEASE don't be another allergy!

Old 09-09-2006, 01:09 PM

hmmm... i know casein, whey protein, whey solids, butter, cheese... can't think of anymore, but you can also check for kosher certification that is non-dairy (little symbols on package that say U in a circle or K in a circle and have a D after it are dairy, but without a D or with another letter is designated as meat, which kosher folks don't mix with dairy.) have you checked with the allergies forum in health & healing?

~claudia
Old 09-09-2006, 03:47 PM

You are also safe with anything marked "vegan."

User Tag List