How many hours can I go without BFing without hurting my supply? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2006, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question: How many hours can I go without BFing without hurting my (already low) supply? Joshua slept almost all night last night with only a few nibbles on the breast. I mean like 10 hours without a 'real' feeding.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 05:32 PM

If he's sleeping all night it probably means he's eating all he needs during the day so it wouldn't hurt your supply... unless you mean that he's already drinking formula during the day so you need to keep up demand at night? Sorry, don't know your story... I think if you get up once at night to pump that might be all you need.

Single mom of 2 boys
Old 08-31-2006, 05:35 PM

You shouldn't go repeatedly more than six hours. It takes six hours consistantly and your body will begin to reganerate and start cycling again. NEVER go more than four if you can help. Even if that means waking up and pumping at night. My children began sleeping through the night (6+ hours) by two weeks of age. It KILLED my supply BOTH times. Had somebody told me to get up at night and pump I'd likely be a successful breastfeeder still.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:40 AM

I would also recommend pumping if you can. My now 6 month old has been sleeping thru the night (6 hours) since she was 2 weeks so I would wake up and pump in the morning before she woke up, now that she sleeps about 10 hours, I pump before I go to bed and and then again when I wake up in the morning.

User Tag List