Older toddler is having problems with solids - What to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-08-2006, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(I posted this problem about 2 months ago in the toddler section, but the challenge is not over yet....Maybe people here will have more ideas...)

My ds who is 34 months old has suddenly developed an aversion to most solid food. He only wants to nurse. He seems to be grossed out by fiber. For example, he tries to spit out the peels off of frozen peas. Whole wheat bread - he used to like it, but now, not a chance. It gets spit out. So far, today, he has eaten about 2 bites of peeled apple dipped in almond butter, one bite of banana waffle, 1/2 a piece of white sourdough bread, 4 bites of broccoli, and ~20 pumpkin seeds. He has asked to nurse probably about 10 times, and I've said yes 4 times. He has a little 4 month old sister who is also nursing, and I'm having a hard time coping with this much breastfeeding (both the nursing itself, and also keeping up with my own calorie intake.)

I feel like the whole day is revolving around either me trying to eat something nutritious, or trying to get him to eat something nutritious. Poor little kid. I feel like I'm causing him lots of stress by pushing food this much. I can tell that he is truly grossed out by most food - he tried to eat a potato gnocchi yesterday, and ran for the front door throwing up. Am I doing the wrong thing? Should I just grit my teeth and nurse him for his main food supply? Maybe he's going through something I don't quite understand. What do you people think?
#2 of 3 Old 09-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Banned

Is he getting a set of molars, maybe? Mine couldn't stand to eat when their molars were coming in, I think it hurt their gums.
Or, if his breath is kind of stinky, he might have tooth decay and that would hurt, too.

#3 of 3 Old 09-09-2006, 05:57 PM

does he have any other sensory issues going on right now? aversions to sound/light/touch?
also, could his need for nursing be intensified in the past 4 months with the new baby in the house?

i say offer him food every two hours. if he asks for food betwen then, GREAT! give it to him, dont push the food, keep a tray/plate/bowl whatever of a snack he likes handy, on the table or in the fridge easy for you to get out for him.
does he like yogurt? trader joes and other health food stores have some really great tasting and nutritious yogurt with wonderful flavors, and if he wont do fruit flavors vanilla is an option too.
hope that helps.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page