pregnant: could I have thrush? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-17-2006, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please note that I come to MDC for the best advice. Much better than calling an LC or a midwife!

I am 21 weeks pregnant, and still nursing my 3 yo DS. I have had painful latch-on for most of the pregnancy, and chalked it up to pregnancy. But, it is continuing and the latch-on is just SO PAINFUL!!! I had thrush when DS was a tiny baby, and so I want to be proactive so that Baby and I get off to a great start. I don't worry so much about DS b/c he is a big boy who eats a lot of other foods. Baby will only be nursing, so I don't want to have any problems.

I can't express any milk, just a little colostrum, but DS says there is milk. Maybe there is a little? I don't have any cracking, just pain. And it is really only painful during latch-on and after DS has nursed for more than say 1/2 an hour. And at that point, it hurts continuously.

Ideas?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-17-2006, 06:35 PM

Treat for it JIC> Use 1 c. water mixed with 1 Tbsp. vinegar and rub some on the nipple after every feed and use 1 c. water with 1 tsp. baking soda and rub in child's mouth before every feed. Should clear it up if it's thrush.
#3 of 4 Old 09-17-2006, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had something similar during my pregnancy with DD. The initial latch-on hurt so bad I could have sworn it was thrush! In my case it wasn't and the pain did ease after a few weeks. I couldn't express anything either but I did still have milk. (DS got rotavirus and wouldn't eat, would only nurse. By the end of the sickness he was back to breastfed baby poops.) This was around 21 weeks.

Good luck, I hope things improve for you soon!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#4 of 4 Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies! Great suggestion, Kerri. This is interesting -- I have been taking apple cider vinegar for the last three days (for my still here nausea), and my nipples have gotten better! Not perfect, but so much better, so maybe it was /is thrush after all. How about that?

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page