Can I take terbutaline and still nurse my toddler? (X-posted in Midwives) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-19-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was placed on bed rest yesterday and given terb and was wondering if I can still nurse my dd. I am not having contractions when I nurse her - they come at night. Please help ASAP as I am set to take a dose in an hour!!!
#2 of 5 Old 09-19-2006, 08:46 PM

12 years ago when I was in your situation, I continued nursing my toddler. LLL's Breastfeeding Answer Book lists it among drugs generally considered safe when nursing.

My doctor had already told me to stop nursing, though, before I went onto terbutaline, and I wound up delivering at 28 weeks. There was never any clarity about how the factors influenced one another.

If you're sure nursing isn't increasing your contractions, I'd say go for it. It'll help keep you and your older one calm and connected. It also never hurts to have a "helper" to maintain milk supply should you need to EP for a while!
#3 of 5 Old 09-19-2006, 08:54 PM

YES!!!! I took terb for a few weeks in March/April (from 34-37 weeks? I think). It had absolutely no effect on my toddler who was still heavy-duty nursing 4 times a day.

I nursed my DD thru my pregnancy and I'm not convinced that nursing her had anything to do with PTL. Nursing her did cause me to enter full-blown labor at 38 weeks and I had DD2 5 hours later. I never would have given up nursing my toddler unless I knew for sure there was a risk to the baby. It meant too much to her and kept her grounded during a really rough adjuestment. Follow your gut!

#4 of 5 Old 09-19-2006, 09:26 PM

Its an AAP approved medication a level L2 which is a safe level.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#5 of 5 Old 09-20-2006, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU! I found the information on Kellymom last night after frantic searching. Both the OB and pharmacist told me it was not safe but they weren't sure...sigh...this was the OB from the ER who told me I am taking my life and the life of my child in my hands with my planned homebirth though so I took what she said with a large grain of salt...Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page