Pain killers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my tonsils out yesterday. It really wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but it does hurt. Quite a bit.

They gave me 'hydrocodone' (sp?) and I have looked it up on kellymom and it seems to not be a recommended pain killer for nursing mothers. They knew I was a nursing mom. What the hell??

What should I do? I can't not take anything, or I won't be able to swallow and I need to keep eating and drinking. Does anyone know what uber pain killer would be best for someone like me? Or has anyone taken this one while nursing? I have no desire to double my supply by pumping and dumping every time I take meds.

I haven't seen any side effects in dd. She's her normal self, but I am just afraid because it's not recommended. I think. Unless I looked it up wrong.

Any suggestions? :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006, 01:11 AM

It actually is one of the only ones you can take while nursing according to my docs. I have taken it for a chronic illness through two pregnancies and subsequent nursings. The only side effect that I am aware of is an extra drowsy baby. It hasn't been bad for me. Good luck mama in your recovery!
Old 10-22-2006, 01:37 AM

I took that when I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago. I was not a mom yet at that point, but I found that an NSAID (like advil or aleve) worked SO much better on my post-surgical pain! (I needed surgery to get them out, had stitches and everything!) It lasted longer than the hydrocodone (that's generic for Vicodin) and after a few days it seemed to work a lot better for me.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:53 AM

Percocet 5/325 is safe for bfing. Can you call the doc and ask for a change in script?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

My sister looked it up for me, and Dr. Hale says it's safe as long as the babe isn't premature, weak, apnic etc.

We're keeping an eye on her. I am also taking less, and less often. If things seem funny I will call tomorrow and switch it.

I tried to go without it, and that is just not possible right now. I woke up at 2am in agony! Yikes! I may only take it when I need to sleep. As long as I'm able to keep sipping water and things it seems tolerable.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:58 PM

I would ask for oxycodone (Percocet) instead of hydrocodone (Vicodin). Oxycodone is given to mamas the world over -- it's the painkiller given after C-sections. I've been on both painkillers and think they work about equally.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
Old 10-23-2006, 12:32 AM

I take Lortab for chronic back and shoulder pain...Not all the time but when I need it. It is safe to take but as with anything when nursing in moderation...My baby has never shown any side effects from it, not even the drowsiness....If you are in pain, I say take it, especially since it will just be for a short time. I know the wisdom teeth hurt when they come out. I had mine cut out years ago and it was pretty painful...Take care and hope you feel better soon...
Old 10-23-2006, 02:04 AM

i just took vicodin after my dental work
no effect on dd
If your babe is like a year old, I wouldn't worry...now on a newborn..maybe....
An yes, with surgery, try alternating Advil...it relieves swelling as well as pain, so actually helps a lot...its okay to doubel the dose of advil for serious pain, and still way safer than a script med...

CPST
Old 10-23-2006, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

You're not allowed to take Advil after your tonsils come out because it can cause bleeding, and bleeding is a complication of tonsil removal for up to 7 days or longer. No ibuprophen, aspirin etc.

I asked if I could take Motrin, and they wouldn't let me.

I'm going to call the LC in the morning. Dd is acting really heiper, and I'm afraid it's the meds. It might just be from having her mama not doing the normal mama thing, but I wouldn't want to take chances.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:51 AM

Does the hospital have a pharmacy you can call to check? Or I guess you could call any pharmacy - it's their job to know drug effects/interactions etc.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

The pharmacy had said it was safe, but I don't trust them.

My LC said I am probably right, and dd's sleeplessness and heiperness are probably from the hydrocodone. We're switching scripts now.

I have found that doctors and pharmacies aren't really usually up to speed on what is and isn't safe for nursing. I think it also varies depending on the woman/baby in question.

I hope the oxycodone doesn't affect her! I'm sure if it's what c-section mamas get it must be pretty safe. I'll feel better taking that.

Or if they switch me to something less potent, that would be ok too. As long as I can swallow, I don't care.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:27 PM

After my c-section I alternated percocet and motrin (600mg). That worked well, and I saw no effect on ds.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

I called as soon as the office opened, and then at noon, and then at one...and they said "The dr is thinking about your request."

Um. Ok...and my throat is a raging pit of burning hell. Think about that, doc!

So, I said %^# it, and hubby went and got liquid tylenol. I'm going to see if that takes enough of the edge off that I can swallow and sleep, and the tonsil doctor can go have a nice long think.

After we had already purchased the tylenol, and well long after my other pain meds were totally worn off, good ol' dr office calls and says, "Oh, sure. We'll give you percocet. Come on in and get the script."

I told them to keep it. We'll see how this goes...I may regret this at 2am when I wake up feeling like I have a throat full of broken glass...but hey! You never know until you try, and why take narcotics unless you need 'em right?

: : : : : : :
Old 10-23-2006, 06:00 PM

I have been taking vicodin for chronic hip and back pain and I have an eight week old. I was so paranoid about it so I proceded to callthe lactation consultant, the pharmacist and the OB/GYN. It is the same prescription that was given to me at the time of birth by my OB. All said it was safe to take. although I have read on many websites that it is not recommended during breastfeeding. perinatology.com has a great website on medications and chemical exposure related to pregnancy and birth. Both oxycodone and hydrocodone is not recommended during breastfeeding because it passes into the breastmilk. This being said, I was told by the above folks that such a small amount passes that it is easily managed my the infants system and as long as you see no ill effects that it is fine to take. I struggled with taking this and what I was told that the emotional and physical effects of pain (as in the body's chemical response) may be just as bad. It's obviously best not to take it if it is not needed....but sometimes it just is.

Be Well!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMama View Post
I called as soon as the office opened, and then at noon, and then at one...and they said "The dr is thinking about your request."

Um. Ok...and my throat is a raging pit of burning hell. Think about that, doc!

So, I said %^# it, and hubby went and got liquid tylenol. I'm going to see if that takes enough of the edge off that I can swallow and sleep, and the tonsil doctor can go have a nice long think.

After we had already purchased the tylenol, and well long after my other pain meds were totally worn off, good ol' dr office calls and says, "Oh, sure. We'll give you percocet. Come on in and get the script."

I told them to keep it. We'll see how this goes...I may regret this at 2am when I wake up feeling like I have a throat full of broken glass...but hey! You never know until you try, and why take narcotics unless you need 'em right?

: : : : : : :
I really think you will be ok......Like I said you are not taking it for a long period of time so it's no biggie. I wouldn't just stay in pain like I am sure you are....relieve your pain

User Tag List