Battling Thrush Support Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm still here as well. I started diflucan the week before last, 7 days, and nystatin for babe. In the suspension. I didn't have luck getting the powder, and since we hadn't tried it, I gave it a go. I also went on a true candida diet.
So I was doing

Diflucan for me Nystatin for baby
Vinegar/teatree oil rinse after nursing and then applying GSE
-GSE orally
-Probiotics
-digestive enzymes
-Garlic capsules, plus the garlic in the candida diet
-Taking a multivitamin in addition to 500 mg of magnesium, some biotin, vitamin C.
-candidstat, and extra caprylic acid.
-echinacea

that is besided changing and washing the sheets, and everything, in hot, with vinegar and tea tree oil.

Not only was i taking the diflucan, but I was doubling that with the GSE and the caprylic acid and the candistat.

DD had diarrhea and cramps the whole time we were on the diflucan and the nystatin.

So I did 12 days of the diet alltogether, then I started a coupld days ago including some things in my diet, mostly because it's the freakin holidays and I couldn't keep my hands off it, but still eating mostly by the candida diet, except for today, when I had a piece of chocolate.

I'd been mostly symptom free, but there are these random stabbing pains I cant quite place. I have overactive letdown, so DS gets frustrated and isn't so nice to my nips, andit's hard do distinguish the different pains. Sometimes I also get a painful letdown, but not all the time.

I don't know if it's gone or not, but I guess I'll find out soon.

If it's not, I may just get cultured as well. My LC already suggested that as well, because she's never seen anyone battle thrush for so long.

Dr. newman emailed me a prescription for the APNO, I am weary of the abx in it too, but may go get it if it all returns.

I'm with you all. I'm tired, paranoid of my sheets and my clothes, I don't mind the candida diet so much for the food, but I'm staying with my parents and i can't eat anything tehy make, and of course today it's xmas-y food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2007, 06:55 PM

oh wow, i am so upset i had to find this thread, yet so relieved i did. my dr keeps telling me the yeast will resolve itself - i'm not really trusting that anymore after reading here.

i have 3 month old twins, and we've been struggling with yeast/thrush for most of that time. i've tried gentian violet (it worked, then came back), lotrimin (worked, then came back) baking soda, gse, nystatin. no luck.

i have to say that for a long time now my symptoms have been manageable. i see that i still have the yeast, and often latching is uncomfortable, but i haven't had to cry while feeding in weeks. but the babies have it bad now, and i want it gone for good.

can you help me with a few questions?

1. laundry: how much vinegar and/or gse do you add to a load? do you really wash sheets every day?

2. diflucan: are you ok taking this? i've so far refused, but took a dose today in an attempt to use the holiday week for eradication. i'm starting a gel today that uses the monistat-ingredient, but is for the babies' mouth and my nipples. my sister is bringing it from europe. anybody hear of this? i think it's the same ingredient jack newman uses in the apno.

3. do you eat whole wheat at all? how about natural sweeteners?

4. what do you give the babies?

i'm sure i'll have plenty more questions, but for now i'd be very grateful for some advice.

happy holidays to those who celebrate!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:45 PM

We have gotten rid of Thrush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentilsoup View Post
oh wow, i am so upset i had to find this thread, yet so relieved i did. my dr keeps telling me the yeast will resolve itself - i'm not really trusting that anymore after reading here.
That's what Dr. Jack Newman said when I emailed him. I just don't know for sure, I think ours did, sorta.

Quote:
but the babies have it bad now, and i want it gone for good.
I know what you mean. I hated it every time we thought it was gone, and it was back.
Quote:
can you help me with a few questions?

1. laundry: how much vinegar and/or gse do you add to a load? do you really wash sheets every day?
Certainly, ask away. I never tried washing sheets every day. I add about 1/3-1/2 cup of vinegar in the fabric softener place. I put in 3-4 drops pf TTO in with the detergent. I do all this with my cloth dipes.

The only sign was in her mouth, and there are different strains. We never got it cultured. It did respond to the Nystatin initially, but came back with both the suspension and the powdered.

Quote:
2. diflucan: are you ok taking this? i've so far refused, but took a dose today in an attempt to use the holiday week for eradication. i'm starting a gel today that uses the monistat-ingredient, but is for the babies' mouth and my nipples. my sister is bringing it from europe. anybody hear of this? i think it's the same ingredient jack newman uses in the apno.
I refused to use Diflucan. They won't let you take it while you're pregnant, why is it okay for a newborn? But then, my mom was watching a chiropractor on TV and he said that the yeast (or maybe I read it,) anyway, the yeast releases chemicals like formaldehyde. I don't really know.
When I had plugged ducts, I did use Mupirocin on my nipples, which is in the APNO, I couldn't tell that it made any difference either way on the yeast.

Quote:
For a while, I was eating muesli that had whole grain wheat, the whole thing un-ground in it. I quit eating it though. I did eat potatoes and rice with my meat and veggies, so I wasn't quite on the strictest candida diet. I would occasionally buy and drink kefir. At the end, I was just not drinking milk, was eating butter, cheese, cream cheese. I looove milk. I did get Stevia, used it in tea, didn't really like it. I didn't eat much snacky stuff or desserts.

Quote:
4. what do you give the babies?
I gave my DD Primadophilus for 4 mos, and just switched to FloraBaby. Someone on here told me to OD on the acidophilus, so I've been giving her double pretty much the whole time.

I got cracked nipples from letting her latch herself on, she wasn't getting enough of the areola in her mouth. They got better just latching her on more and squirting a little milk out and rubbing it on them and letting them air-dry. PM me if you need to talk.

Quote:
i'm sure i'll have plenty more questions, but for now i'd be very grateful for some advice.
Welcome, BTW. MDC is really neat! Keep on asking!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:58 AM

did the Dr say it was in your breastmilk? or was it on your skin?
i am confounded if it was in your milk.
myself, my daughter and 2 wk old son got mrsa. read many websites about it.
my dr gave me a list of what to do, because it can reoccur.
a couple of things i thought helped us follow all these for 30 days; swab inside bulb of your nose with miprocin(rx), put 1 tsp bleach in each load of wash, bleach/water wash down common surfaces regularly, take bleach baths for 1 month (1 tsp for every gallon of bath tub) must be in bath for 15 mins at least. i know it sounds crazy but reading all these sites with people who have been battling for years made me follow list like a sergent. we are on 2 months no re-occurance.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:54 PM

Definitely had the mrsa in my breastmilk. I think it wasn't there originally, but probably got there after a couple of months of growing the bacteria while we thought yeast was the problem. The doctors are confounded as well. We have been doing the mupirocin in the nose, and I am finishing my course of levaquin today. I was feeling so so much better, and now the nipple pain is back!

I'm very sad about it, and as pathetic as it is, I am actually hoping that it's yeast from all the antibiotics instead of the mrsa. Our doctors didn't tell us to do any of the bleach baths, etc. If the infection isn't gone, I will definitely suggest that.

I could use some good vibes and encouragement right now; I feel like I have spent the past 3 months in a haze of pain, and I'm really ready to be done with that.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:31 PM

--I add about half a cup. Yes, I changed them every day, and washed them every 2 days so I could wash 2 sets together. down to every 2-3 days right now. Its a pain, but I leak a lot at night, and DS spits up, so I wanted to make sure we didn't reinfect ourselves.

2. diflucan: are you ok taking this?
I took it. i don't think i was 'ok' ok, but having used everything else, I did. It took me 3 drs to find someone who knew how to prescribe it, because a sigle dose is not enough. Dr. newman recommends 2 weeks AFTER symptoms are all gone. I only took 1 week, and it doesn't look like it's all gone.

I used monistat on my nipples at the beginning, didn't see much improvement.

The candida diet stage 1 does permit whole wheat flour, but not breads with it, not yeasted breads either. So I coudln't find a bread at the store I could eat, but i made my own from the book I got at wild oats. I was eating other whole grains, like quinoa, buckwheat etc. and no kefir until stage 2.

It also does not permit eating vinegar, anything preserved, anything yeasted, no fruits, and basically nothing already made because of the preservatives. you can eat vegetables in combination with a grain and a legume (for complete proteins).

4. what do you give the babies? probiotics, GSE swabbing, and bicarb swabbing. I tried nystatin but I like the GSE more, I don't think nystatin made a difference except for adding to DS diarrhea. We are using primadophilous right now too, but I liked the DS intestinal flora better, I just can't find it here (and it's pricey).

as for me, I'm 90% sure it is not gone. I have some nipple pain, and some deepbreast pain, but it's not bad. I'm still taking candistat, and cleaning my nipples and babies mouth. I'll probably go into 'eradication' mode right now that its not bad, and stay like that for anotehr 2 weeks.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:38 AM

has anyone had 'somewhat' painful thrush, but bearable? for how long?

i've been aweful with my diet the last couple of days, and I can't tell if it's back or not. I mean, i have pain on my nipples (about 60 percent of the time)with the letdown and sometiems more of the feeding, and in between feedings I have some stabbing pains as well. But some feedings aren't painfulf. the pain goes up and down, mostly worse in the evening, and i feel better in the morning. don't know if it's because I eat worse, or I start out the day more determined to keep the diet going, but give in to cravings as the day goes on...

So i'm a little confused.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:20 PM

I am at the beginning of this battle and I had a friend give me so bovine colostrum. I am not sure about taking it and was waiting until tomorrow to ask the ped about it. Has anyone taken it or heard of anyone taking it to fight off yeast. All the research I found says it is a yeast fighter, but nothing about thrush in the nipples.
Thanks!
Rebekah

Rebekah married to Justin Mama to Jonah and Josiah
Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 PM

well I am currently sending good viberations your way(s) now and will try to do so each time i breastfeed!! for myself and all who are persisting in the midst of this suffering!! I can't believe how hard it is, yet i continue on and i am clear that it will not stop me - so i do feel proud that i have not let it get in the way of my commitment for my son and hope you all feel proud too. it really is incredible what we are doing and will try to continue to focus on that. here's to having suffering free (relative to what is normal), happy feedings with great supply and overall health!!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltlfaery View Post
has anyone had 'somewhat' painful thrush, but bearable? for how long?

i've been aweful with my diet the last couple of days, and I can't tell if it's back or not. I mean, i have pain on my nipples (about 60 percent of the time)with the letdown and sometiems more of the feeding, and in between feedings I have some stabbing pains as well. But some feedings aren't painfulf. the pain goes up and down, mostly worse in the evening, and i feel better in the morning. don't know if it's because I eat worse, or I start out the day more determined to keep the diet going, but give in to cravings as the day goes on...

So i'm a little confused.
When I have thrush, it is always worst at night. That 3 am feeding is a killer. And then it always seems better in the morning. I read somewhere that that is pretty common. And the diet thing didn't work for me; maybe I just didn't do it long enough. I don't know if that helps, but just thought I'd respond...
Old 01-03-2008, 08:52 PM

my natrapath told me to use a good organic yogurt with all the pro-biotics in it straight onto my vagina when i had a yeast infection last time, in addition to orally taking acidophilious and eating the good yogurt (for 15 mins before bathing, or longer if you can - i know it sounds strange). so i decided to try yogurt on my nipples. i also put hydrogen peroxide on (after my bath) because the cracks were not healing and were getting a little unhealthy looking. i dont know if these attempts are a good idea or not, but they seemed to be better and didn't hurt as much for a day and a half. today my cracks are much better and close to healing, but i have not been nursing as much on the side with the worst crack though. hope it doesn't hurt my flow.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:27 PM

Hey. :

I am trying to figure out how to tell if I have thrush. :
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 AM

NAK

DS and I are at the beginning of all this and I want to cry every time he latches - and it's to the point that I almost dread feeding him - but I absolutely refuse to ff him.

I was told that if you over use GV you have a higher risk of cancer - true?

And more... random questions haha ok I was told that it can only be passed back and forth from nipple to baby - what if my dh... kwim?

also if i'm sterilizing binkis etc. if i put it in my mouth can it transfer to my mouth?

dairy products are ok or no?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:09 PM

Oh my gosh I am so happy to have found this thread. I am getting eaten alive by this thrush... ty.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:59 PM

Here is alink to an article about GSE that I thought was interesting:
http://www.terressentials.com/truthaboutgse.html
Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Has anyone used GSE on their nipples and baby's mouth and BEATEN thrush? I've been swabbing it on every hour for 2 days and think it may be improving, but I don't know anyone else who's tried this plan.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 PM

I had a friend IRL who said that's how she beat it. I don't know how long, maybe two weeks? And she treated her nips more than the baby. And yep, every two hours.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 PM

Also I think it makes a huge difference if you don't eat any sugar. I get big rashes 2-10 hours after I eat a bunch of sugar. No so much good sugars like fruit. I have been consistant going without sugar & taking acidopholis (natural factors evidently is the best brand and they have it for infants too - my ND told me about it) it has taken awhile, but i am doing pretty good for 1 week + now!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinej11 View Post
DS and I are at the beginning of all this and I want to cry every time he latches - and it's to the point that I almost dread feeding him - but I absolutely refuse to ff him.
I'm so sorry. Thrush is awful. Good for you bfing!

Quote:
I was told that if you over use GV you have a higher risk of cancer - true?
If you use it a long time.

Quote:
And more... random questions haha ok I was told that it can only be passed back and forth from nipple to baby - what if my dh... kwim?
I think so. I didn't have it on my nipples, so IDK. I wouldn't let him if I had nipple thrush.

Quote:
also if i'm sterilizing binkis etc. if i put it in my mouth can it transfer to my mouth?
IDK. I quit putting it in my mouth just in case.

Quote:
dairy products are ok or no?
Nope. Have you read The Yeast Connection by William Crook? Also he wrote The YC Cookbook.
HTH!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
I am trying to figure out how to tell if I have thrush. :
What symptoms do you have? Have you checked out Kellymom.com?

Old 02-08-2008, 04:40 AM

I am sooo incredibly glad!!!

We went on the candida diet to the T and didn't cheat even one bit - no sugars, dairy, fruit, etc. Just meat and veggies!!! (and now I just eat healthier because of it).

I DRANK GSE once (and boy was it nasty tasting) I couldn't find the pill form... and then gave my DS Primadophilus Reuteri powder mixed with my breastmilk a couple times (I pumped obviously lol)

I got gross discharge from the yeast dying but that only lasted a few days. And soaked my breastpads in vinegar and wore them soaked for a little bit and changed those in and out obviously lol (I didn't wear them wet all the time).

Gave DS a lot of naked time (for the rashes) and put his little tush under the light at night and then we just hung out by the window in the day (me topless) since yeast doesn't like light!

And I'm not sure if this was just me being overly paranoid but I didn't take long hot showers cause I was told that the yeast likes warm/moist/dark places... (but then again that could have just been me).

I just hope it doesn't come back - but we've been thrush free for a couple weeks now
Old 02-08-2008, 03:48 PM

Yay! Doesn't that feel great! I am glad for you!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 PM

Just joining.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
Yay! Doesn't that feel great! I am glad for you!
Yes most definitely and I honestly couldn't have done it without my best friend's help AND her introducing me to this site (and this thread).
Old 02-13-2008, 05:17 PM

My nipples burn! I hate thrush!

It's all coming back to me now. I battled thrush for 10 months with DD and now I and my 6 week old DS have it. I suspected I had it from day one, but then it seemed to get better. Yesterday I noticed it in his mouth and I promptly started Diflucan. Today my nipples hurt worse than ever and of course ds is fussy and wants to nurse all day.

I'm using GSE on my nipples and his mouth every hour and triple nipple cream 2 x a day. Anyone know the difference between triple nipple cream and APNO? I've heard APNO works better, but I don't know how to get it.

Thanks for listening. I can't do this for another 10 months...
Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look11 View Post
Anyone know the difference between triple nipple cream and APNO? I've heard APNO works better, but I don't know how to get it.
I'm sorry. It's not fun at all!
Here's a recipe for APNO:
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html
You can print that off and take it to your doctor and ask them to write a scrip for it. Any pharmacist should be able mix it up for you. Triple Antibiotic is over the counter, not as strong. Mupirocin is the antibiotic in APNO. It has an antifungal, too, the same as in Monistat. It's good if you get plugged ducts or mastitis.
HTH!

Old 02-22-2008, 04:28 PM

Hey Ladies. Haven't been by in awhile but need some advise, hope you all are doing well.

I've been battling thrush now for about 2 1/2 weeks. It hasn't been a big issue for us in terms of breast pain. Its hard to say how much of an issue it has been for DD - her suck is funky but it always has been. Is it because she has a funky suck and that's it, or is it the thrush and she has always had the thrush but I didn't realize it? I don't know. Anyhow, the concern now is that I'm pretty sure I'm brewing an infection of some sort (maybe a UTI or maybe uterine infection from a recently placed IUD). I have an appoitment on Monday to get it checked out and I'm afraid the OB is going to prescribe an antibiotic and I'm afraid this will seriously worsen the thrush issue. I've started taking Cranberry tablets like crazy. Is there anything else I can be doing to avoid an antibiotic, or to lessen the effects of one?

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
Old 02-22-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post
Is there anything else I can be doing to avoid an
antibiotic, or to lessen the effects of one?
I would take garlic, cloves or pills, for the antibacterial properties. Vit C to help fight infection, I forget, will look, I think golden seal supports your immune system. I would definitely do an elimination diet to avoid feeding the thrush. And take Acidolphilus.
HTH!

A thread about how to avoid antibiotics:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=810140

Quote:
Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)
Boosts the immune system,
Threonini
Boosts the immune system
Vitamin E
Boosts the immune system
Zinc
Eases Memory access, lessens acne outbreaks, boosts the immune system, reduces symptoms of the common cold,
Alanie
Activates muscles, boosts the immune system
Arginine
Builds new muscles, detoxifies the liver, boosts the immune system
Asparagine
Gives energy to the brain, builds the immune system
Aspartic Acid
Helps make healthy DNA, builds the immune system
Betacarotene
Improves vision, protects the cornea, helps digestion, defends against free radical attacks, boosts the immune system
Bioflavinoids
Removes toxins from skin cells, builds the immune system
Selenium
Boosts the immune system, relieves anxiety
http://www.healthyattitudes.com/

Ginger is effective anti-microbial and helpful for fever. I think you could make a tea from grated/sliced gingerroot.
And drink LOTS of water and unsweetened cranberry juice.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:06 PM

DS is 7 months old & we have thrush - again. Ive done all the suggestions. Just keep doing them I guess.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 PM

Wow! Thanks Maggierayne. Tons of ideas to try.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X

User Tag List