Battling Thrush Support Thread - Page 29 - Mothering Forums

#841 of 841 Old 05-26-2015, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar217 View Post
I know this thread is old and hasn't had activity in quite some time. Just wondering if anyone who tried all of the remedies finally got rid of their thrush. Inam about to finish my 5th week of diflucan and have been doing GSE, GV, probiotics, diet, APNO, nystatn, etc. with no luck. At this point i exclusivly pump. My lo did diflucan which didnt work either and they will not treat her anymore. The pedi says it will go away in time. Her tongue is a lot less white than it was but she still has a thin white film which will not wipe off. Docs are out of ideas and told me to stop bfing to see if it would go away. My supply has dropped from the stress and probably. Ot enough calories from the diet so i will prob have to start supplementing soon (right now i am using frozen milk but about to run out). Would love to hear some sucess stories!
Success story here, and some encouragement! I went through hell 9yrs ago with DS1...I did everything you've described, and nothing worked. I drove myself crazy with sterilizing everything that touched baby's mouth, GSE washes, Lotrimin on skin rashes, clean towel over the bedsheet every night, single-use bras - just the laundry alone was enough to kill me. Itchy, painful nipples (and baby's tongue), burning ducts, fatigued constantly, cleaning up baby spew everywhere...just awful. It improved, but never really went away.

FINALLY - after 2 long years - I found a homeopathic cleanse called AquaFlora. Holy life saver, Batman!
Amazon Amazon

It's a 3-stage program, a little pricey but not when you compare to months of all the other treatments - and it works SO well! You can use the liquid on baby in a half-dose (tastes like water). Still take your probiotics, keep your diet clean of yeast, starches and sugars, use good hygiene with GSE or vinegar nipple washes and changing bra pads every feeding, etc. But it should help clear things up very quickly.

Relax and let baby nurse - this will increase your supply greatly (as it's likely dropped more from lack of nipple stimulation with baby's saliva than diet, unless you're near starvation), and besides it's in your milk whether she nurses or you pump. Baby will get probitiocs from you, and you can get infants' probiotic powder (like Natren) - just dab a little on your damp nipple before she latches on, and she'll get better even faster.

Your diet needs to be high in protein, fats, and veggies to keep your supply up....cauliflower or celeriac are good subs for potatoes, things like that...you don't need to starve yourself!! Just limit the really bad offenders like sugars, bread (esp yeast bread), pasta, beer/alcohol, etc. A paleo-type diet without sugary stuff is good.

The white coating on baby's tongue may not completely go away - and that's ok. I had an awesome ped reassure me that sometimes, people just have tongues that are textured and hold more "stuff" - like rough cats' tongues as opposed to smooth dog's tongues. So true - my DS1 was this way even after the thrush cleared up. Quitting BFing and switching to formula wouldn't make a difference either way, as formula leaves a nasty white coating on the tongue even without thrush, and if baby has thrush it won't go away on its own! IMHO, whomever told you to stop BFing is a mo-mo who's out of ideas.

You've probably already seen this stuff, but sometimes it helps to review: https://www.llli.org/faq/thrush.html

Most importantly, remember: YOU CAN DO IT, MAMA! You've done an amazing job so far, just a little more and you'll have beaten these nasty bugs. Best of luck to you - let us know how it goes!!

Mostly WAH mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with DS1, 9yo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS2, 6yo
DD1, 4yo
DD2, 9mos
& my awesome DH
And a baby BOY due in Nov!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page