Battling Thrush Support Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 839 Old 12-29-2006, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like we're joining the "thrush club". I realized we had thrush last night and, after a good cry, I found this thread. Horray for MDC! We've caught it early, so I'm hoping that works in our favor. Dh is at the market right now buying GV, canestan cream, grapefruit seed extract, and yogurt. I'm prone to yeast infections, but with good yogurt in my diet, and by going easy on the sugar, I can maintain a healthy balance. I hope my daughter dosen't have the same problem. :

I have probiotics for my older kids. I'm thinking I should give this to baby. What dosage do you use? Fingerful once or twice a day? Baby is only 13 days old...

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#62 of 839 Old 12-29-2006, 01:52 PM

Well I bought some GSE yesterday along with picking another Rx for APNO. My doc gave me a one dose of Diflucan b/c she said if I have a VYE that should treat it but she doesn't want to jump to that treatment for my boobs yet...so I have to wait a week to take the Diflucan for my thrush if I need it. I also got some probiotics at the pharmacy yesterday and I amd taking 2 pills twice a day and Jack takes one pill that has been made into a paste with my breastmilk. I have been rinsing my boobs and his butt with vinegar (which stings my boobs, should it?) after each feeding and diaper change. my house and body stink of vinegar but than again I have no plans for company so who cares. I'm boiling the pacifiers every day...just can't give it up yet. Jack is still taking the nystatin and I had nystatin cream from when I was PG that I have been putting on his diaper rash. Doing laundry daily with vinegar...ugh my life is revolving around my nipple care instead of around my son...it is so frustrating!

I haven't tried the GV b/c I'm just not ready for one more thing to clean up after...I'm giving this current protocol a week before I try the GV.

I feel very defeated and depressed about the whole thing esp since I know my diet is not helping things...what the heck is everyone eating if you are not eating any carbs. I can't eat just veggies all day...esp since my little newborn barely gives me a chance to eat...I need quick foods...I can get toast or and english muffin for breakfast or cream of wheat cereal...I don't usually get lunch...maybe some triscuits and a clemetine...and dinner is usually pasta b/c it is quick and I'm too darn tired...unless it is a weekend and I can cook meat b/c DH is home to help...so my diet is sabotaging my healing since I eat nothing but carbs...

How do you all do it?

Well I'm off to brush my teeth...another luxury...maybe next nap I can shower and brush my hair but then I won't get to nap too...hmm what to choose: nap or shower?

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#63 of 839 Old 12-29-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIrises View Post
I have been rinsing my boobs and his butt with vinegar (which stings my boobs, should it?) after each feeding and diaper change.
Are you diluting the vinegar? Everything I've read has said to use 1 T. vinegar to 1 cup water.
As far as diet goes- do you eat eggs? I boil a pot of eggs and find those are easy to grab quickly. Maybe you could get some whole wheat tortillas... you can wrap up some veggies and avocado in them or some chicken and salad and that's fairly portable and better than eating bread. You could try switching to a whole wheat pasta... Not exactly a convenient diet, is it?!

#64 of 839 Old 12-29-2006, 04:24 PM

For those of you taking GSE: how do you do it?! I just took it and it was revolting. I put mine in some apple juice, but I still gagged on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

#65 of 839 Old 12-29-2006, 06:32 PM

YEa, it is very bitter,

Put it in a 1/4 cup of OJ.....

Mary
#66 of 839 Old 12-29-2006, 07:38 PM

Mix 15 to 20 drops of GSE with Chocolate soy milk. Mixing with OJ gave me a canker sore. HTH
#67 of 839 Old 12-29-2006, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well, after 14 days of Diflucan, I didn't take it last night, and woke up with bright red nipples that itched like crazy (as in, the itching is what woke me up). I slathered them with APNO, and tried to go braless (although I have to put a nursing pad on the unused side while nursing or else I spray everywhere on letdown). The air really helped, they are not so bad today (but still red and irritated).

So, how long can one take Diflucan? I wish I could take it forever (or at least until nursing is done).

treehugginhippie - Tell me more about Florastor! From the website, it looks like it IS yeast. But it's good yeast? Do you need a prescription? I'm intrigued!

Also, you mentioned your accupuncturist - I hadn't thought of looking into alternative medicine, but I'm wondering if a naturopath might be a good resource for battling thrush.

...the cuties in my avatar are my wonderful, c-section born, fully vaccinated sweethearts...
#68 of 839 Old 12-29-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

BlueIrises - I really empathize with you because I was just where you are a month ago. Just do what you can do. I haven't made any dietary changes. I just can't. It is hard enough to get enough to eat while BFing a newborn! And yes, brushing teeth and going to the bathroom is a luxury at that point!

Try the GV - it did provide some relief for me. It took about three days before the pain got better, and the thrush returned about three days after I stopped the GV. But it will buy you some time with reduced pain before your doc sees the light and gives you the Diflucan. My doc did the single dose thing as well - the yeast was better for one day. Insist that your doc take you seriously as well! Mine has been great once she realized how persistant this is - she even called to check on me about a week after I started the long-term Diflucan.

Anything you can do to reduce the pain will make your world so much easier to deal with. Once you're in less pain, you can start experimenting with diet, wash routine, etc. It's too overwhelming when you're still in such intense pain.

Make sure to dilute the vinegar! Or just wait and use it on your nips after they have had a chance to heal.

I went with bleach for the laundry. It was easier, and I felt more confident that it would kill everything off. I used vinegar for darks, but most of what I needed to disinfect is whites (dipes, towels, bras, etc.).

...the cuties in my avatar are my wonderful, c-section born, fully vaccinated sweethearts...
#69 of 839 Old 12-29-2006, 08:51 PM

I think my DH bought the wrong Grapefruit Seed stuff b/c mine is a capsule...I'm going to the store tomorrow nd will get the right stuff and I'll get the GV.

Here's my question...when do I put it on? Before the APNO? do I use both of them at the same time? Can someone fill me in on the GV protocol and how it fits in with the other treatments...I'm going to see what all those websites say in the meantime...

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#70 of 839 Old 12-29-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimie View Post
treehugginhippie - Tell me more about Florastor! From the website, it looks like it IS yeast. But it's good yeast? Do you need a prescription? I'm intrigued!

Also, you mentioned your accupuncturist - I hadn't thought of looking into alternative medicine, but I'm wondering if a naturopath might be a good resource for battling thrush.
My accupuncturist said it's good for those with stubborn yeast. She also said for most people one bottle (about 1 mo supply) is enough but some need to take a second bottle. You don't need a prescription but their website does say "As with any product, consult your health care professional before taking Florastor." This may just be a CYA statement I googled it and found at least 1 place ($35 + shipping) I could buy it online but it was about the same price I paid from the accupuncturist. I haven't tried a naturopath...they would probably be a great choice too.

Here's some things I found on the Florastor website www.florastor.com

Q) Is Florastor® like acidophilus?
A) No, Florastor is not really like acidophilus but they are both probiotics. Florastor is non-pathogenic (good) yeast, not a bacterium like acidophilus.

Q) How do I take Florastor®?
A) For adults: Swallow the capsule whole.
For children, or if you find it hard taking tablets: Break open the capsule and sprinkle the contents into cool drinks or formula. Capsule contents can also be added to foods like yogurt or applesauce.

Q) If I am allergic to yeast, can I still take Florastor®?
A) Florastor has been studied in recurring yeast infections (Candida) and has shown to be 60-70% effective. The yeast that most people develop allergies to is pathogenic yeast. Saccharomyces boulardii lyo is non-pathogenic yeast. As with any product, consult your health care professional before taking Florastor.

After reading the last Q&A it makes me so excited to see read about it being effective in 60-70% of recurring yeast infections. So far I'm very impressed and so relieved to not have thrush. I'm not sure what will happen after I stop taking it though.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#71 of 839 Old 12-30-2006, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Tina - Thank you so much! I think I'm going to order some. Can't hurt, might help, right? One more question... is your DD taking it? My baby is only two months old, so I don't want to give it to her, I wonder if it will be effective if I'm the only one taking it.

#72 of 839 Old 12-30-2006, 12:16 AM

I think I beat it thanks to your help!! I saw that someone said a doctor had told them to use monistat as a topical. I happened to have some becuase dd had had a yeast infection and I used it as a topical then on peds advice.

I was VERY nervous about doing it but reaching desperation I put in on only once a day, right after dd fell asleep for night so I knew I would have at least a couple hours before she needed to nurse. I used a wet wipe to clean before my first night feeding. After about a week and a half, the cracking, itching pain is gone. I think I beat it. The vinegar/baking soda, nystatin, andprobiotics/acidopholis couldn't do it.

I didn't treat dd as I didn't see any signs of the thrush in her and she was treated with nystatin a few weeks ago, and we haven't had a relaps for about a week. (crossing fingers)

Thanks for your help!
#73 of 839 Old 12-30-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Tina - Thank you so much! I think I'm going to order some. Can't hurt, might help, right? One more question... is your DD taking it? My baby is only two months old, so I don't want to give it to her, I wonder if it will be effective if I'm the only one taking it.
I don't know about the effectiveness of only you taking it. I'm hoping, since I'm the one with the problem it seems, that dd can clear it out on her own??? I am not giving it to her right now but I think I should. I'm also going to get a bottle for dh (you can often pass it back and forth to each other...men don't usually show any symptoms of yeast like we do ). I want to beat this once and for all

p.s.- I just did a search on here for any threads talking about using Florastor to see if there has been anyone else who has used it successfully...not too many threads on it.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#74 of 839 Old 12-30-2006, 01:47 PM

Wow, this thread is so timely for me. I have had thrush for about 4 months. DD (16 months old) has been asymptomatic the whole time. I have done gentian violet like 6 times, was on fluconazole for 8 weeks (August to October), and gone through a whole tube of miconazole, and we have not been able to beat it yet.

The past 1-2 weeks has been the worst so far...my one nipple was starting to ooze and the other (had been relatively unaffected) got a little white patch. So now I'm back on Fluconazole and this time I got a script for DD too. We are doing gentian violet again but it's not helping as much this time. We are trying harder to remember the probiotics. I am going to just throw out my nursing bras since they are falling apart after a year of use and start over with new, yeast free bras.

Unfortunately I have several risk factors for yeast related to chronic medical problems (steroid use, antibiotics, blood sugar not too well controlled). The whole experience has been incredibly frustrating and it doesn't help that I don't know anyone IRL who has nursed this long...I think anyone I asked would just tell me to wean. REALLY don't want to do that. I'm going to check out the grapefruit seed extract as long as it doesn't interact with my other meds.

Well, thanks for reading, and giving me an outlet to vent about this.

Monica
#75 of 839 Old 12-30-2006, 03:03 PM

I didn't read all the posts (there are over 700) but did read the last couple pages, so hope I don't repeat anything... FWIW, my doc said to Lotrimin topically on the breast, said you didn't even need to wipe it off before nursing because it wouldnt be harmful to dd (but I do anyway)!

Question for anyone who might know- I have a whole separate issue going on- so I was prescribed a sulfa-drug. I think those are anti-biotic- do they tend to cause thrush like a penicillin-drug would??
#76 of 839 Old 12-30-2006, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

luvmy2girls - I was on a non-penicillin antibiotic during labor (not sure what) because I'm allergic to penicillin. I really think it caused my thrush since it seems I've had it almost from the start, and I've never had any problems with yeast in the past (I've only had one vaginal yeast infection my whole life).

chocolatefix - I know what you mean about feeling some pressure to wean. I'm certainly not weaning any time soon (no matter what), but I've found myself wondering what I'll do if this continues. Can I deal with it for more than six months? Is it safe for DD to be continuously exposed to the Nystatin, the APNO ingredients (the one my doctor prescribed has an anti-inflamatory steroid in it) and the Diflucan that goes through the BM? I can't imagine BFing for less than a year, but I also can't imagine dealing with this damn thrush for a year, either.

#77 of 839 Old 01-02-2007, 01:43 AM

I've been pain-free 3 days now!

I think the GV is what did it. baby was cleared up by nystatin but my problem remained and I was on the edge of giving up until I started the GV and things got better fast! I just hope it doesn't come back!

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#78 of 839 Old 01-02-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
So, how long can one take Diflucan? I wish I could take it forever (or at least until nursing is done).
I was on Diflucan for about 6 weeks. 200mg a day after an initial 400mg loading dose. I didn't have to have my liver enzymes monitored but they can do that if you need to be on it longer.

Sending positive, yeast-free vibes!!!!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#79 of 839 Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 AM

just checkin in ...
was on diflucan for two weeks and was symptom free for the last 4-5 days of taking it, then felt like it was all coming back - especially after eating waaaaay too much sugar for the holidays - but now i feel really good again for the last 3days or so! funny part is, i stopped with the topical gse and nipple ointment that was prescribed (all purpose) i think the poor nips just needed to do their own thing to get back to normal. so we're really mostly keeping up with the probiotics to maintain a good balance and hope that it stays this way
i'm in such a habit with the laundry, i'll prob just keep it up. i'm crossing my fingers that we're done with this crap, but keeping realistic about the fact that it could easily come back as we've apparently been susceptible to it thus far for whatever reason.
hang in there mamas!! (me too )
#80 of 839 Old 01-04-2007, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

I'm on day three of no Diflucan and no pain... fingers are crossed! I'm still slathering on the APNO - my doctor said I could use it as long as I want, so I'm going to keep using it. DD has been off Nystatin for a week as well.

#81 of 839 Old 01-09-2007, 10:16 PM

We're on board too. I have 2.5 month old twins and a 2.5 y/o DD. One twin is now on her 3rd round of thrush. We treat, have a couple symptom-free weeks, and then it's back. 1st time I had NO symptoms (pedi found patches on DDs tongue). 2nd time I had very mild itchiness and pain. This time, it's a little more intense so I know we are headed for trouble. Incidentally, each baby has their own breast, so I think that's why only one of them is symptomatic, though I do treat both.

Here's what we've been doing. I know there is MORE we can do, but it's mind-boggling trying to determine what steps to take next. Remember I have very little pain, and DDs patches are cleared up after a day of Nystatin (but we continue for 2 weeks) HELP!

1) Treat both babies with oral Nystatin 4-6x day
2) Take 1 Diflucan, and then another a few days later
3) NO SUGAR, FLOUR diet
4) Probiotics for me
5) Babydophilus on nipple before feed (she doesn't get daily bottles)
6) Vinegar and Lotrimin on nipples after each feed
7) Air on nipples
8) Rest, Water, Vitamins, Extra C
9) Wash anything that touches breasts everyday in hot water
10) Boil all pump parts and paci daily

WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT? I need the long dose of Diflucan, don't I??? 400mg on day 1 and 200mg for 2 weeks. Is that right?

TIA,

Nancy
#82 of 839 Old 01-09-2007, 11:16 PM

Nystatin is worthless....

SOme women need to take Diflucan EVERYDAY for 2-4 weeks.

Take immune boosting herbs

Treat you and baby with GV

TIME

Mary
#83 of 839 Old 01-10-2007, 01:41 AM

Hi guys...Ive never posted but wanted to let you know what worked for me. I was bf my youngest who was born 7wks early and didnt want to stop bfing but was becoming very discouraged due to thrush. I am a nurse and one night I was working and the pharmacist came up to the floor. She asked about my daughter and I told her our 4wk battle with thrush and that nothing was working. She told me to take a very small amount of vaginal yeast cream and rub it around her mouth. When I said "Wont that hurt her?" she pointed first to her mouth and then her wochy-woo(yes that is a medical term!) and said "mucous membrane, mucous membrane".
Well I really trusted this lady so I went home and did it. I also put some on my nipples once a day( just followed the usual length of treatment) and wouldn't you know it... GONE!
Hope this helps.
Rainee
#84 of 839 Old 01-10-2007, 07:47 AM

is one brand of GSE better?

Or are they pretty much comparable?

Liora, Frum Jew In Beijing, Mom of Three (one "Almost Autistic" healed in 3 years with biomed and one amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI)
#85 of 839 Old 01-10-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doula mary View Post
Nystatin is worthless....

SOme women need to take Diflucan EVERYDAY for 2-4 weeks.
There are strains of yeast that are susceptible to Nystatin still, so it's worth a try. Nystatin is not toxic at all, because it only works topically and is not absorbed into your system.

Diflucan is more helpful for ductal yeast because of this, but is very toxic to your liver. Also, more strains are becoming resistant to fluconazole, and other azole drugs. 6 weeks of fluconazole followed by 4 weeks of Vfend (voriconazole - a new and very very expensive azole drug) did nothing for my yeast problem.

It took me over a year to get mine under control. I still have to restrict carbs (but not obsessively), take lots of probiotics, eat and drink fermented foods, and take a maintenance dose of Candex but I've been pain (and itch) free for several months now.

Oregano oil and tea tree oil (yes internally) along with digestive enzymes are what helped me over the hump. Pharmaceuticals did nothing to my super yeast.

Of course, now my nurslings both have food allergies. I really doubt it's a coincidence. I have them on enzymes and probiotics still.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#86 of 839 Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Diflucan can be hard on the liver, that is why..often liver function tests are done...however the dose seems to make a huge difference too.....some folks take WAY more mg than what is typically prescribed for nursing mothers.

At the lactation center I work at.....we dont bother at all with nystatin...but herbal treatments can be helpful.

Mary
#87 of 839 Old 01-11-2007, 11:49 PM

mimim, how did you take the TTO internally?how many drops? was it pure or already diluted in a carrier oil?

Did you take TTO at the same time as anything else (we're trying to take GSE regularly...). thanks!

Liora, Frum Jew In Beijing, Mom of Three (one "Almost Autistic" healed in 3 years with biomed and one amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI)
#88 of 839 Old 01-12-2007, 12:21 AM

Stay strong, mamas!! You can beat it!!

I'd like to share our experience - maybe it can help someone.

We had thrush bad and it affected my 3 week old DD's latch. My nips were cracked like crazy and I was a mess. We fought it for several weeks and it was so frustrating!

What we tried:

Gentian violet - it helped the reduce the thrush, but made my baby miserable each time we used it. After the first round, I thought it had gotten rid of it, but it came back.

GSE, topically - helped at first, but not consistently. When I first started it, I was amazed that her spots disappeared, but they came back after a day or so.

Nystatin, topically and orally - completely and utterly useless. I can't believe I did it for the whole week.

GSE tablets, Probiotics, Garlic, Yogurt, low sugar diet, etc. - check. Who knows how much it helped.

What made the difference for us is that I started drinking kefir every day. I started with 1/4 cup, then 1/2, then 1 cup daily. After a week and a half, the spots in her mouth were gone. Shortly after that, her latch improved and I felt confident that we had beat it. That was probably 2 months ago and I am still drinking it nearly every day (make my own now ) and we haven't had any flare ups.

Good luck and hang in there!
#89 of 839 Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioralourie View Post
mimim, how did you take the TTO internally?how many drops? was it pure or already diluted in a carrier oil?

Did you take TTO at the same time as anything else (we're trying to take GSE regularly...). thanks!
I added 3 or 4 drops of pure TTO to some water and drank it 2 or 3 times a day for a couple of weeks Didn't taste bad at all, IMO. I used Desert Essence brand.

Then I did the same with oregano oil (was already diluted in olive oil, otherwise it would BURN) for a couple of weeks, then I switched back to TTO.

I did this for about 3 months, along with Candex enzymes, reduced carbs (NO added sugars) and many billions of probiotics daily. I started making water kefirs, kombucha, and fermented veggies.

I'm still taking enzymes and probiotics, but I'm symptom free finally. I never eat any meal with out drinking kefir or kombucha with it or eating something fermented along with it. I really think that is what's keeping it under control.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#90 of 839 Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline529 View Post

1) Treat both babies with oral Nystatin 4-6x day
2) Take 1 Diflucan, and then another a few days later
3) NO SUGAR, FLOUR diet
4) Probiotics for me
5) Babydophilus on nipple before feed (she doesn't get daily bottles)
6) Vinegar and Lotrimin on nipples after each feed
7) Air on nipples
8) Rest, Water, Vitamins, Extra C
9) Wash anything that touches breasts everyday in hot water
10) Boil all pump parts and paci daily

WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT? I need the long dose of Diflucan, don't I??? 400mg on day 1 and 200mg for 2 weeks. Is that right?

TIA,

Nancy
I think as long as you don't have ductal pain this should work. If the pain is inside your breasts then you'll need a longer course of systemic antifungals. Don't stop treating for at least a week after symptoms are gone and keep taking probiotics for a couple months - or forever if you can afford it. I'd give your babies infant's probiotics too. They only get bifidus species. Use the pacifier as little as possible, too.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page