Forum Jump: 

#121 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsidas View Post
some questions:

do you think we all have a major candia problem?
isnt taking GSE or tea tree oil going to make our milk bitter?

doesnt seem impossible to get rid of this. really washing everything your teething babe puts in her mouth or everything your nips touch (like you bed sheets every night).
personally i am feeling defeated and in pain.

what to do????
As someone who has battled mild thrush on/off for 3 yrs (see my post #59 in this thread) I believe some of us have more persistant yeast than others. I do believe there are alot more people who have yeast overgrowth but don't know it.

Quote:
i am so ready to be done with thrush that i have done nothing else but research and purchase to get rid of this.

i am feeling, somehow, confident that i can get rid of this if i use ALL suggestions.

for the people who are or did change your diet did you just:

eliminate all refined sugars (could you use honey???)
eliminate wheat flour
eliminate yeast risen bread
eliminate dairy

it all feels so extreme, but i have an extreme case of thrush so i am feeling that drastic measure have to be taken.

if anyone has advice on the thrush killing diet please respond.
thanks!!!
I eliminated all sugars...including honey and about 80% of my daily fruit intake...I was that sensitive! I have found that I feel better without grains or dairy so I still do not have them hardly ever. The Florastor worked really well for a few weeks then my body became resistant to it. I seen a natropathic dr who said this does happen sometimes.

My dd is only nursing about 2 x's a day so I started taking a candida cleansing kit. I've read that you shouldn't do any cleanse while bf but I feel comfortable doing it. There are no herbs that are not compatible with breastfeeding that I could find and it's helping mine and dd to rid our bodies of yeast so I thought I'd try it. I thought the yeast was pretty much gone (no thrush symptoms at least) but after taking the candida cleanse for a few days I did have yeast die off and so did dd...so I know it's working.

I don't have any solid advice but as you know your not alone. If you still have yeast issues you may want to read The Yeast Connection Handbook by William G Crook. It looks like a wonderful book that addresses the underlying issues of yeast (I haven't read it yet).

Good luck!!! Yeast is very very tough to beat sometimes.

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 03:14 AM

subbing....

#123 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 03:28 AM

Hi mamas ~ I've been battling thrush on and off for 10 years....I have a real problem with one duct in my left breast and it flares up several times a year.

Diflucan seemed like the only thing that ever worked for me and a couple of months ago I was on it for 3 weeks (pretty much all I could talk them into) and sure enough, within a week after my medication ran out I had the pain again.

Anyway! I've been trying something else this time around before I call & humiliate myself again to beg for diflucan. I'm taking a combination of Tea Tree Oil and Oregano Oil. I take those empty gelatin capsules and put approximately 15 drops of tea tree oil with 3-5 drops of oregano oil and swallow it with a large glass of water. I do this twice a day. Within 4 days I was pretty much pain free, other than a lingering itchy feeling inside my breast, but that is fading.

I've been on it now for one full week, and my plan is to continue it for at least 3 more weeks, perhaps 6, just to make sure. I'm excited because it's the first thing, other than diflucan, that my thrush has responded to within 5 years.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#124 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 03:32 AM

oops! I forgot to say that I'm also on two different candida cleanses...the one made by Rainbow Foods & the one made by Now foods. I wondered if the two cleanses were overkill, but they have different herbs in them and I'm hoping will help. I also take Reuteri probiotic....just twice a day right now, but I'm thinking of upping that.

#125 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 03:35 AM

One more thing!

I had tried just plain oregano oil before......I took that for 3 weeks straight and it did not work for me. Despite a midwife telling me that in 20 years she had never seen it NOT work for someone.

It wasn't until I added the tea tree oil in a large amount that things started working for me. It's interesting.......Rosemary Gladstar recommends tea tree oil internally in her herbal healing book.

#126 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 03:59 AM
DBZ

I was reading about the oregano oil tonigh tat Kellymom and it isn't recommended while nursing.
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/oregano_oil.html

I want to stop eating sugar, but every time I think about doing that I crave something sweet. I need some serious help here. I really need to find a way to overcome this.

My experience with diflucan was the same. Every time I took it, the pain would come back once I was done with it.

My yeast problem started with lots of antibiotics before and during my pregancy. I topped it off with an IV of the stuff. Foolish me.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#127 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post

I want to stop eating sugar, but every time I think about doing that I crave something sweet. I need some serious help here. I really need to find a way to overcome this.
Try visiting the Sugar-free group over in health and healing for help eliminating sugar and controlling those cravings!

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#128 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I was reading about the oregano oil tonigh tat Kellymom and it isn't recommended while nursing.
I know she doesn't recommend it. Her reasons are not substantiated in my mind though........she sites that it hasn't been studied enough (well, and it never probably will be), is a mucosal irritant & shouldn't come in contact with skin (well, if you're going to rub it on babe's feet it just needs a carrier oil to dilute it - we never put essential oils of any kind directly on skin!), and she claims it stimulates menstruation so it should not be used during pregnancy. I've used oregano oil many times, pregnant or not and it has never caused menstruation. Diflucan cannot be used during pregnancy but it doesn't stop us with thrush from using it when we're not pregnant!

I think she's just saying she doesn't recommend it because she doesn't know much about it.

#129 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Tulsidas---what is threelac? I've never heard of it.[/QUOTE]

threelac is something my DH came across by a friend who was cured from candida. i am trying it b/c her really felt good about it, but it is $50 a box and a lot of the webistes that sell the product seem fantaticaly and a litttle weird.

re - guitarmama: ahh i hate that feeling when they nurse, it is like they are chewing the nips instead of sucking. but HOW GREAT that lotrimim is working.
i will look into that ASAP. you have been dealing with thrush for awhile right?
both nips?
#130 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 01:19 PM

According to my LLL leader honey is also out. So is maple syrup.

How much probiotics are you all taking?

The lady at my health food store showed me a book that said garlic helps too. That might upset the belly's of the wee ones though.[/QUOTE]

we are taking as much probitics as possible. there is this stuff called lactopriv it is in a box and my naturopath recommended it.

we are taking garlic too, but i am TOTALLY worried about my DD not liking my milk. she still refuses to eat solids and nurses SO much. she is 10 months! and i would not mind a little nipple break considering.

so sorry to hear about your situation, but if you kick it right now, you might not feel the pain.
#131 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 02:00 PM

i feel the same way about sugar at the moment, but i am so sick of thrush that i am trying to let my suffering guide me. i am nursing still ALOT and i am STILL so HUNGRY so at the moment i am overeating my main meals which i am trying to be more protien base. i bought some saltly snack to hopefully avert the desire for sugar.

a great book that got me to quit sugar for almost 2 years was SUGAR BLUES.
it is short and intense.

good luck!!!!
#132 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
One more thing!

I had tried just plain oregano oil before......I took that for 3 weeks straight and it did not work for me. Despite a midwife telling me that in 20 years she had never seen it NOT work for someone.

It wasn't until I added the tea tree oil in a large amount that things started working for me. It's interesting.......Rosemary Gladstar recommends tea tree oil internally in her herbal healing book.
Yes! It was the same way for me. The TTO and oregano oil must work synergistically.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#133 of 839 Old 01-28-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Yes! It was the same way for me. The TTO and oregano oil must work synergistically.
yes ~ I think so too! Either that or the TTO is just poison enough to stop the thrush from thriving!

#134 of 839 Old 01-29-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Hi mamas ~ I've been battling thrush on and off for 10 years....I have a real problem with one duct in my left breast and it flares up several times a year.

Diflucan seemed like the only thing that ever worked for me and a couple of months ago I was on it for 3 weeks (pretty much all I could talk them into) and sure enough, within a week after my medication ran out I had the pain again.

Anyway! I've been trying something else this time around before I call & humiliate myself again to beg for diflucan. I'm taking a combination of Tea Tree Oil and Oregano Oil. I take those empty gelatin capsules and put approximately 15 drops of tea tree oil with 3-5 drops of oregano oil and swallow it with a large glass of water. I do this twice a day. Within 4 days I was pretty much pain free, other than a lingering itchy feeling inside my breast, but that is fading.

I've been on it now for one full week, and my plan is to continue it for at least 3 more weeks, perhaps 6, just to make sure. I'm excited because it's the first thing, other than diflucan, that my thrush has responded to within 5 years.
Thanks for your input Nice to know there's someone else who has been battling thrush for years. I think oil of oregeno and TTO will be my next step after my candida cleanse. Are you really sensitive to sugars? If I eat more than 2 fruits 2 days in a row I get thrush. Also a little OT but do any of your kiddos have food allergies? I've read that candida can cause allergies and wonder if that's why my dd has allergies.

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
#135 of 839 Old 01-29-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Are you really sensitive to sugars? If I eat more than 2 fruits 2 days in a row I get thrush. Also a little OT but do any of your kiddos have food allergies? I've read that candida can cause allergies and wonder if that's why my dd has allergies.
You know, I think I am sensitive to them...and yet I crave them. I think I need to go over to the no sugar thread.

Some of my kids do seem to have food sensitivities....and it's interesting - especially one of my sons. I had my worst cases of thrush when I was nursing him! Interesting........

I can't say enough about the oregano & TTO. It's nasty tasting, but when it's inside the capsule, I don't even taste it. (i had tried them in water for my first dose.......NOT! I don't recommend this method )

I suppose there will always be those of us who are thrush-prone. I was just thinking back - my very first case of nipple/duct thrush was almost 19 years ago. Geeze, I'm old!

#136 of 839 Old 01-29-2007, 02:43 AM

: I hate dreddeding nursing dd. It's really getting me down. When I nursed her to sleep tonight I actually screamed a few times it hurt so badly. I miss the warm-fuzzy of bfing. Sorry, had to vent.

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
#137 of 839 Old 01-29-2007, 02:56 AM

Has anyone tried nipple shields? I posted earlier about wearing dixie cups around the house, but I can't wear them out of the house. My skin sticks to my bra, which causes more cracks, bleeding, what have you. Do you think nipple shields would be helpful?

#138 of 839 Old 01-29-2007, 02:00 PM

i am with you gutiarmama, it is so sad that nursing is now painful instead of blissful. last night after a night feeding i had to leave the family bed and go to the living room and cry. then i did not even want to go back to bed and sleep next to my DD.

i have not done nipple shields, but i thought about your dixie cup idea a lot.

i have not left the house in a couple of days b/c a shirt is too much for me at the moment.

well, despite this personal hell, i am really grateful for this thread. i have gotten so many ideas.

now i am going to try the oregano oil and TTO. i just hope that i am not going to do many things that my DD will stop nursing.

oh, a good idea. if you are like me and you dont like having yogurt with out sugar add it to your lunch or dinner. yesterday i made beans and rice and added a large dollup of yogurt to it and i enjoyed it. now i am thinking about doing some middle eastern dish with yogurt.

i have made the decision to finally go all out! i am going to wash our sheets ever day and sanitize ALL of the things my teething DD puts in her mouth. then i was thinking i would just wash it off with a vinger wash after she put in it her mouth again.

has anyone gone to this extreme and it helped????
nothing else is on my mind but killing yeast. yes, it has consumed my mind now! it is just so painful!!!!
atleast the pain, at the moment, has transcended the desire to eat sugar, wheat, and dairy (except yogurt).

:
let us pray for each other
#139 of 839 Old 01-29-2007, 03:21 PM
DBZ

Tulsidas, I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. What are you doing to kill the thrush? I remember nursing through pain with my last bout. So far this time it hasn't hit me that hard (knock on wood). I thought about quitting too. *sigh*

I HATE THRUSH!!

#140 of 839 Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 AM

:

I got an Rx for diflucan today--2 pills, 150 mg each. Dr. told me to take one, then the other in a week. He also said I should pump and dump for a week after I take it. Um, yeah, that won't fly around this house. Nursing is dd's hobby. Has anyone else been given this advice? The Dr. was at an urgent care facility and doesn't see much thrush, so he was at a bit of a loss about it. I asked the pharmacist, who said the manufacturer doesn't recomend it for nursing moms. Hmmm, what to do...

#141 of 839 Old 01-30-2007, 03:15 AM
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmama View Post
:

I got an Rx for diflucan today--2 pills, 150 mg each. Dr. told me to take one, then the other in a week. He also said I should pump and dump for a week after I take it. Um, yeah, that won't fly around this house. Nursing is dd's hobby. Has anyone else been given this advice? The Dr. was at an urgent care facility and doesn't see much thrush, so he was at a bit of a loss about it. I asked the pharmacist, who said the manufacturer doesn't recomend it for nursing moms. Hmmm, what to do...

What a crackpot!!! My jaw would have totally hit the floor!!

#142 of 839 Old 01-30-2007, 03:30 AM
DBZ

Oh I wanted to ask you all...does having thrush make you all feel nauseous too? When dd was a little thing I always felt nauseated while nursing. I thought it was a nursing thing. The feeling eventually went away until today.

I do not want this! I do not want this! I am going to throw a major tantrum right now!!! ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! Oh it's just hitting me right now that we are both fully infected with this vile fungus. GGGGGGggggrrrr!!! I'm really mad. I don't want to do this!! Damn those stupid doctors and their horrible antibiotics!! I am not happy about this. Not one bit!

I was thinking about starting the gentian violet tomorrow. It's the same bottle I had from last year when we did this dance. Should I use it or buy a new bottle?

#143 of 839 Old 01-30-2007, 10:23 AM

Some alternative suggestions from a naturopath in the UK:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...479483,00.html

(scroll down the page a little).

Hope it can help someone!

Rachel

ETA: don't know if this has been mentioned by any pp, but drinking pau d'aco tea can also help. It's the bark of a S. American tree and has strong anti-fungal properties. It's available from Neal's Yard in the UK, but I guess any herbalist/wholefood store would stock it.
#144 of 839 Old 01-30-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post
Also a little OT but do any of your kiddos have food allergies? I've read that candida can cause allergies and wonder if that's why my dd has allergies.
Mine do have food allergies. I'm sure there's a connection.

We can't eat:eggs, dairy, gluten, tomatoes, or pineapple. I think my DD has issues with soy, too.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#145 of 839 Old 01-30-2007, 03:26 PM

No known food allergies here, but she's only 11 mos., so we'll see.

DBZ--no nausea here.

I'm starting to realize just how much starch, carbs and sugar is a major part of my diet. There is nothing to eat in my house!!!

#146 of 839 Old 01-30-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Oh I wanted to ask you all...does having thrush make you all feel nauseous too? When dd was a little thing I always felt nauseated while nursing. I thought it was a nursing thing. The feeling eventually went away until today.
Yes! I get nauseous during nursing too. I thought it was weird, but never connected it. How odd.
#147 of 839 Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 AM

My son too had thrush from the time he was 2months to about 7 months old. I was given antibiotics due to a horrible bout of Mastitis when he was two weeks and I think this was the culprit. I took the antibiotics for two weeks. My son had thrush as well as a nasty beasty yeasty rash that would come and go. I had yeast as well and tried everything from Genetian violet to Grapefruit Seed Extract to Nystatin, etc. In a desperation, I started what is called The Body Ecology Diet. I started the diet when my son was six months old and he is now 15 months.In this time, I have become an expert on yeast and what feeds it-well according to Donna Gates that is. I started to see slight improvements over time and we are now reintroducing foods to see if he has a reaction. Basically there are foods that feed the yeast and foods that inhibit it. Obviously, Garlic would be an inhibitor but as breastfeeding mothers we can not eat a lot of garlic. I had to eliminate all fruits except for lemons, limes and cranberries, all sugars, carbs, dairy-except for keifer, and more. It is a very restrictive diet but It really works when nothing else will. Everyone recovers differently so don't be discouraged by how long it has taken me to recover. I also don't get much excercise due to our busy scheduel. Excercise is another part of fast recovery. Anyway, I hope this helps. I feel your pain. Good luck and get well.
#148 of 839 Old 01-31-2007, 12:52 AM

Apsrocks---could you please list some links for us?

I have an idea about how I may have gotten thrush. Those of you who know the ins and outs of yeast, tell me if this makes sense. My dh told me tonight that he thinks he has a constant case of athletes foot. My theory is that his socks, mingling with my bras introduced the yeast to my breasts. The moisture and sugary milk in contact with my breast often made it a perfect breeding ground. Make sense?

#149 of 839 Old 01-31-2007, 01:24 AM

guitarmama,

dont listen to that dr. the trace amounts of the drug will go into your babe is probably good to fight his thrush.

i dont know about your yeast theory, but yeast does pass through families. how long have you had thrush?
#150 of 839 Old 01-31-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
guitarmama,

dont listen to that dr. the trace amounts of the drug will go into your babe is probably good to fight his thrush.

i dont know about your yeast theory, but yeast does pass through families. how long have you had thrush?
I called my gyn today and got the go-ahead for diflucan. The whole experience at the urgent care place was a joke. Oh, and I hate nystatin. It gets all caked up. I think it did help take away some of the redness, but lotrimin did more to help with the cracks.

I've only had thrush for about a month, maybe less.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page